Other Destinations Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in other destinations. Inc Brazil, Australia, New Zealand.
BRAZIL
163 Posts
Thought that would be the case, Thanks :wink: :wink:
to goamike
just read an article on tripadvisor on hotel parque da costeria,natal.I think you will find it quite interesting.
Hi Sbt,

Just managed to read the report on trip advisor did look earlier but was not having any luck in obtaining the report its certaintly something to think about. 8) :wink:

Regards
Also read another write up on tripadvisor,good one this time.
Hi,

my boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Rio at the end of January. What we're hoping to do is stay in the city for a few days, then hire a car and do a sopt of sight seeing along the coast and stopping in B&Bs along the way.

Has anyone done this and do you have any tips or advice for me?

Thanks.
Not sure about the car hire. If you look at the Brazil sticky you will find a trip report I did for Rio( in October). Some parts of Brazil are downright dangerous to drive in but I'm not certain about the area around Rio. The best bet would be taking buses. I know these are safe.
It has been a few years since I went to Rio - but I doubt I would consider the B&B approach personally - crime rate is very high.

We flew from Rio down to Iguassu and stayed there for 3 nights for a good opportunity to look at the falls which are stunning. That was a fab excursion.

Rio itself of course has Sugar Loaf mountain (used to be a fantastic juice bar at the halfway point), Corcovado and the beaches. A trip to a diamond factory is also fascinating, as are the gardens - but don't put ANY jewellery, cameras etc on display as pick-pocketing and even armed theft does get reported often. Oh - and they drive like lunatics - we had two prangs while we were there and the cabby on the second occasion just got out - rearanged the bodywork with a crowbar obviously well-used for the purpose in the boot, then off we trundled banging and clattering as we went !!
just reminded me TAH-M- the road system is a nightmare. One way routes throughout Rio and even outside of it!
Hi Vinster,

Dont want to pour cold water on your trip, you are sure to have a fabulaous time if you stick to the known and trusted...

As has been said, hiring a car and trundling along the coast looking foe pousadas(b and bs) is a very risky proposition for gringos (and Brazilians)....

If you want to live dangerously - go for it.......you may live to tell the tale!

Have a good trip,

Alan, Recife.
hi Alan
Great to have a "local" on board! I would welcome your input in the Brazil thread we have near the top of the page!
Hi Guys,

Great trip report Fiona, you and hubby had a jolly old time then!

Goamike - You wont be needing Malaria (or Yellow Fever ) protection for the north-east...anyway, if you do decide to go further north, for instance Amazonia, if you fly there, at the airport, the necesary inoculations are given free by the Brazilian Department of Health......Just trot along to their office/clinic there...and they will imunise you!

Caution, if you travel oveland you may not be able to get this free service....

Regarding money, all the major towns and cities have ATM machines, this is the best deal for you, and trouble free, with no charges by Brazilian banks. However, as a precaution I would open 2 accounts, and therefore have 2 cards, in case you lose 1 or for some reason it wont work...

Hard currency - US Dollars or Euros are best...as of course , currency exchange markets are mainly governed by supply and demand....the good old British Pound is a bit behind the other aforementioned in Brazil.

One tip...HSBC have banks all over Brazil......open an account with them if you are travelling.....any problems can then resolved easily..

Kind regards,

Alan, Recife...
Thank you all for getting back to me with your comments. I think if the general consensus is that it could be quite dangerous driving around, I don't really want to tempt fate.

I'll keep you posted about my trip!

Cheers.
Looking forward to it!
VinsterDJ Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:03 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you all for getting back to me with your comments. I think if the general consensus is that it could be quite dangerous driving around, I don't really want to tempt fate.

I'll keep you posted about my trip!

Cheers.
.......................................................................................................

You wouldnt be tempting fate Vin.......you would be tempting the Bandidos :lol: ..............

In fact, the main road from Rio to Sao Paulo is notorious for hijacks.......

Have a good one....and stay safe....
Hi Vinny,

I haven't travelled in Brazil so can't comment directly on the points raised by earlier contributors but it sounds as if from what they say that Rio, and Brazil in general, would be a less safe destination than Cuba which I know you are also contemplating. In my experience Cuba is a safe place for tourists - they even have specially trained police, who wear different uniforms so they are easily identifiable, to deal with any problems that tourists encounter and who patrol the streets in areas frequented by tourists. At no point either before, during or after my trip did anybody suggest that tourists might be the victims of car hi-jacks. Of bag snatchers and pickpockets in crowds during the Carnivale in Santiago, yes, but then you would be during the Notting Hill Carnival too. But of bandits whilst driving around? Certainly not!

SM
As I've already said I wouldn't recommend driving. However, re police- when we were in Rio there were police and police cars stationed at almost corner of the main tourist areas and police at regular intervals along the beach front.
Where would people recommend for a couple of 21 year olds lads to go in South America? Just basically looking for a quality beach for during the day and some good and busy nightlife at night. Would Rio best the best bet?

Thanks all.
I think me and my mate are going to do Rio, anyone tell me where the best place to stay for the nightlife and beach is? A site ive been looking at seems to think somewhere near Copacabana beach is best with lots of hotels and nightclubs, this true? Thanks everyone
Copa def has the best nightlife but it is easy to get there from Ipanema. I don't think it would make too much difference which of these two areas you stay in.Leblon is another popular area but would not be for you. Rio is a great place. Both beaches are fantastic by the way.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.