Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Alway's buy mine at the airport, resort one's are fake
At one time all english cigs in resorts were fakes but now you can buy them as the government lifted the import restrictions. Lambert and Butler trade as L&B in Turkey and as long as any cig packs have the orange sticker on they are fine. We have found them to be slightly cheaper in resort now, Icmeler, than the airport.
It's easier (safer) to buy things in resort than it used to be as original cigarettes will have an orange government sticker on them to say they are duty paid. Fakes probably won't. You must make sure they have the sticker on them if you want to take them out of the country or you may run in to problems if they're found at the airport. I don't smoke but those that travel with us usually get them at the airport as you know they are genuine and although they're slightly more expensive than you might pay in resort, they're still cheap. They're pretty cheap on flights as well at the moment.

Darren
I usually purchase my cigarettes at the home airport before departure, you are sure they are not fake and are a good price too. I did'nt like the L&B sold at Dalaman airport.

Anna.
So many cigarettes are fakes in the resort,you can buy them at a certain shop one year and they can be ok,then the next they are fakes,waste of money,buy at the airport on return or on the plane,I flew with onurair last year and paid £72 for 1,000 superkings,a good buy. :wave:
Thanks for your replies the ones i bought in resort were l&b and had the orange sticker on them but were dated 2008 and were bad the others i bought were dated 2009 and were ok.The problem was you didnt see this until the carton was opened.If you buy at airport you can only purchase 200 as you have to show your boarding pass.I know thats all you're meant to take but i've always taken that wee bit more and never had a problem.Is there no tobacconists shops in Turkey??We were using a supermarket called Kipa think its their Tesco and noticed they sold ciggies.Anyone ever bought from there as you would imagine its more likely to sell genuine cigs than local shops??
My husband bought some L&B for his friend last week on a Thomson flight.£35 for 400.
If you buy at airport you can only purchase 200 as you have to show your boarding pass

It makes no difference certainly at Dalman & Bodrum, we've always bought as many as we're happy to take this risk of buying and not a peep from the Duty Free staff
Oh ok miss chief i was under the impression they would only sell you 200,thanks :tup
There is a limit to what they will sell you on 1 boarding pass but it's definately more than 200 . We bought 8 cartons of Old holburn last summer . I believe 1 carton (5 x 50g pouches =250g) would equal the 200 cigs limit . I needed 2 boarding passes for that lot but the majority of it went on the transaction for the 1st boarding pass . The guy then put the remainder on a seperate transaction with the 2nd boarding pass .

That lot has not long run out so lasted him 7 months .I can't remember exactly how much that lot cost . I have in my mind around £120 but it certainly wasnt more than £150. Cost here would of been nearer £500.
The question I ask is -Do you feel lucky? Remember the penalty if caught may make the holiday very expensive.

fwh
you are allowed to buy 3 cartons - 600 cigs per boarding pass when you land in Dalaman.

You can get them from the duty free next to the baggage reclaim.
we bought 1000 in Manchester going out to Turkey then another load on plane on way home...no probs
Right you are folks,buying from airport seems to be the best bet, thank you all.Happy holidays. :cheers :sun2
I'll be flying into Bodrum Airport in a couple of weeks and have seen a few references to increased prices. Can anyone confirm whether this year it's better to buy cigarettes, sprits etc. in the UK departure airport or on the plane, rather than on arrival in Turkey?

:cheers
Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
Has anyone heard of people getting their passports stamped by customs if caught with cigarettes coming home from Turkey ??
I was asked to get some Malboro lights for a friend and found there were very expensive in resort - 70 lira. I got them at the airport for 26 euros in the end (about £7 cheaper).
fin54,

I can't say I've heard of that happeneing as most data is held electronically these days. Passports are only stamped for immigration reasons.

Darren
Hi.

Has anyone got an update as to current prices please, particularly on landing at Bodrum?

Cheers.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.