Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Shirley,
I will all depend on he quality of the diamond. You could be looking at £500 to £5,000.
off to the Marinha Dourada New years eve and I am looking to get a solitaire engagement ring. What is the onsite jeweller like? or are we better going to a smaller one :? and what do we look for (or at least pretend we know) when checking out the diamonds.

thanx

debi
This site should answer most questions about quality http://www.bluenile.co.uk/diamonds_education.asp?gclid=CMOin6-C-I8CFQFIMAodyEkKGg
Go into a number of different shops and tell them the quality of stone and size you want and then check prices.
A good idea is to take a notebook with you and write down the quality size and cost. Then you can compare prices & quality.
Most will have some already made and also loose stones that can be made into rings given 24-48 hours.
any reccomendations for jewellers in candolim? my husband had a ring made in calangute in holiday street our first time. it was actually a tailors on the same side as maggies and it looked lovely when we got it but after a few weeks it became tarnished and a join showed up on the shank so it put us off a bit
We always use Pop-in jewellers on the main beach road. Bashir and Ami will look after you there and explain about the difference in stones and the different qualities. They are not at all pushy and will only approach you once you enter the shop and start looking in earnest.

If you try them tell them they have been recommended by Steve and Vanda
I can recommend Ashoka Jewellers, the rings, ear rings and bracelets that my O/H has had from him over the years have been excellent, and when we have had them valued and put on to our insurance, the people have always commented on how good the craftmanship is and the quality of the stones.We have never been disappointed with the valuation of anything we have bought from Ashoka.....Keith
Keith, what about the MD hotel jeweller, how does it compare to others, do you know?

Debi
we have used Glimpse of India in candolim a couple of times.
When valued here both times value has been about 3 times what we paid and jeweller has commented on quality and clarity of stones.
Also bought from the big one in Panjim , no idea what it is called but not far from market.
At glimpse of india there is no pressure (but no haggling to speak of) and if you look as if you are not just window shopping there are free drinks, brandy, gin and tonic etc (just don't have too many if you are spending proper money :D )
I have added a couple of photos of her last purchases and will put link on in a bit when I have sorted it out!

the above link might work
, as my daughter politely said today "age and technology don't go hand in hand" :shock:
Hi guys

A very interesting read this thread has become.

Can anyone please tell me if they pay with cash or card? If you paid with cash, was the price lower? Im looking to spend just over 1500GBP, but don't want to be walking around with that kind of money....plus i don't have it yet. Thank god for credit cards

Cheers
Chris
Chris

Ashokas take credit cards and I would have thought that the other mainstream ones do also.

Candybabe
They will all take credit cards though most will charge 2.5% to 4% for using them, this is what they are charged by the credit card companies.
Dont suppose it really matters but if paying by card check out the exchange rate for that day and make sure they use it when calculating rupees.
We have always bought our jewellery fom the Kashmir Dowery near to the Hatthi Mahal in Cavellesim. Its run by Raj and Riaz who will make/design anything you want. Valuations in UK are always at least 3 times what you pay. They are really hospitable (keep the beer flowing) and will not pressurize you to buy. We will be returning to Goa a week on Saturday and no doubt the wife will be after more!!!
Can recommend a good jeweller in Candolim, no hassle you
can sit look and listen while all is explained. Had extra gold
in rings that had worn thin,new diamonds to replace Zircons
diamonds to replace garnets and rings sized.
call in and see Ali at RAJ JEWELLERS in the Highland Beach
complex one of the best guys you could wish to meet.
tell him Ann&John recommended him.
And please wish him a Happy Xmas if going soon from both
of us :) :thanks
We kave just got back from Candolim and can recommend LIVING JEWELS on the main road past Dona Alcina and Casa Sea Shell. The shop is run by Harry and Perry, people return year after year and the quality is excellent.
We always buy from Living Jewels too and have done since Perry first opened in 2002/03.

Everything we've bought has been excellent quality, both gems and workmanship and nothing is too much trouble for them.

One thing I bought was a silver and turquoise necklace that caught my eye but it was too long.
They took a few links out at no charge and even asked me if I wanted to keep the extra links.

Tracy, we came home on Sunday so we may have seen you in the shop.

Polly
Just been into the "crystal Rock Shop" in Candoliim to see the owner Vivek. His candolim shop is about 40 yrds up fom the Elephant Shop on the same side of the road going towards Sinquerm. He also has another shop on the main rd. down to the beach at Calangute opposite the Tibetan Market His wife and himelf cover both branches.
I,ve known and dealt with him for several years now, for bigger purchases, and been more than happy with the valuation when I get home, as it's always at least double.
This time we're getting a 4carot burmese ruby pendant set with diamonds, a special 40th birthday present for our daughter-in-law in Oz. We'll be getting it valued when we get home in a few days, and I'll post the result of the purchase.
Another reassuring thing is that he is the only Goverment Approved Jewellery Valuer in Goa, the details of this are on his website,
http://www.thecrystalrockshop.in which gives you some idea of his standing in the trade. All in all we've always been delighted with our purchases over the years and have no hesitation in recommending him AAlan
Re the last post, we've just had the valuation done on the ruby & diamond pendant and it was exactly three times what we paid, and we are of course delighted. It's the latest of several fairly large purchases we've made from Vivek and they have all valued up about three times so we'd have no hesitation in recommending him Alan
i would recommend RAJ JEWELLERS at the highland beach resort.No hassle no pressure to buy just great jewellery at great prices from a great guy. :D i bought a pendant with a pink diamond in taking it in for valuation tommorrow will let you know. if you go in say hi from Sue and Jeff :wink: :yipee
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.