Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
check in
20 Posts
Hi Alison

Thats plenty time if you are arriving at 7 (19.00 hours) and your flight is at 21.50 thats nearly 3 hours. Airlines ask you to be there 3 hours before flight to start checking in. If you are a bit later you will just be going to the end of the queue. Not sure exactly when they close check in.
Hi alison you should be alright providing there are no holdups on the train or anything else ,if you are there at 1900 the queue will just be starting ,which gives you a bit leeway ,we travel from glasgow all the time and the check in staff are quite good but always takes a good hour to be cleared ,usually you have to be at the departure gate for about forty/forty five minutes before take off ,like to be there a lot earlier myself but i am sure you will be o.k .

Bluepeterno1
Hi Alison,

Check-in desks close 45 minutes before departure so you could check in as late as 21.00 for your flight (but if you've booked online you'll need to check in 60 minutes before departure). That would just allow you enough time to go through cutoms, walk to the the Departure Gate etc (you'll need to be there about 20 minutes before departure) - but you won't have time to do shopping or to stop for a drink! :tongue

So you'll have plenty of time to spare if you reach the airport by 7 o'clock!

Strawberry
Hi again Alison , if you look at the link below you will see that boarding starts (45mins )before departure,good luck .
Bluepeterno1

http://www.glasgowairportflightarrivals.co.uk/glasgow-airport-INF-passengers-guide.php
Hi Alison,

Boarding doesn't start 45 mins prior to departure. The Gate is opened 45 minutes prior to departure, and you are advised to make your way there; but you won't start boarding until about 20 minutes before departure. They only advise people to make their way to the Gate once it's opened to allow for those with walking difficulties, or for those who are unaccustomed to flying and may not realise how long it can take to reach a Gate.

Frequent flyers never go to the Gate too early as there's nothing you can do there but sit there and wait. You could waste half an hour twiddling your thumbs when you could be enjoying a nice drink or doing some shopping.

Hope you have a great holiday anyway! :cheers

Strawberry
I fly from glasgow airport at the very least six times a year to various destinations ,i would call that frequent.

Bluepeterno1
It's personal preference, but I wouldn't go down to the gate too early. I got stuck there for over an hour and a quarter (gatwick not glasgow) due to an unexpected delay, I was well miffed as I had access to an executive lounge with 'free' drinks and snacks :tup up top and once through, there is no going back.

Once you go through the gate there is nothing there apart from the wait to board. If you have a boarding pass and your luggage has been checked in they wont fly without you for security reasons. (we have all sat on the plane waiting for the last passenger who is still in duty free. :duh :banghead: )

Have a great holiday.

Doe :sun2
Dont know to much about gatwick :que ,but the executive lounge is upstairs from the departure lounge at glasgow ,as i use it all the time and once in the departure lounge you can go back and forth to the gates there are also bars and such down close to the gates . But it is personal preference. Whatever alison i am quite sure you will get there alright , have a good one .

Bluepeterno1 :tup
thanks every one for all the help i could get to the airport sooner but i would have to take a extra days holiday,which i dont want to.
Hi Bluepeter,

Why don't you just stay in the executive lounge until it's time to board, rather than arriving at the gate before you're even called? You wouldn't need to to and fro then for your drinkies. :tongue
I know this is slightly off topic (apologies all) but why do holidaymakers use the executive lounge when they're just going on holiday - on a charter flight at that? I know very wealthy businessmen who only use those lounges when they're paid for by their company - they wouldn't DREAM of bothering to use one for a package type holiday trip.

I know Club lounges etc are nice and peaceful - a little bit like a library with confortable leather seats (and full of businessmen working on their laptops); and the free spread and bottles of booze are nice, but I certainly wouldn't pay extra for the use of one myself (I like my shopping too much :tongue ). I did use them when I was married - but I found then rather boring. I rather like the hustle and bustle of an airport; all the shops to browse in, and different places to eat in. All the private lounges I've ever been in have always had spreads - nice ones - prawn sandwiches, salmon etc..any booze you want including champagne - but I always found them boring.

I never had to pay for the use of one, so don't know how much extra people pay for the use of one; what do you pay BluePeter?
I know that one reason my friend always use the executive lounges is because they find them very relaxing as she is a nervous flyer. They pay £18 pp and, for them, well worth the money. But it's each to their own.

To go back to your original question Alison

going to turkey in august flying from glasgow at 21.50 with thomas cook,i was planning taking the train to glasgow,but i wont arrive at the airport untill 6.45-7.00 ish.does anyone know what time the check in desks open and close before each flight.i have been to glasgow airport before so i know that check in is in t2 so dont have to spend a lot of time trying to find out where to go for check in.am i allowing my self enough time.
going to turkey in august flying from glasgow at 21.50 with thomas cook,i was planning taking the train to glasgow,but i wont arrive at the airport untill 6.45-7.00 ish.does anyone know what time the check in desks open and close before each flight.i have been to glasgow airport before so i know that check in is in t2 so dont have to spend a lot of time trying to find out where to go for check in.am i allowing my self enough time.

It seems that the general opinion is that you should be fine with your arrival time :tup Have a great holiday :cheers
I dont pay anything extra for the ex lounge it is part of my package through my bank, and it is more relaxing glynis ,just two mins from the gates ,great. I to am quite sure alison will be alright .Sometimes had to do it myself with a hop skip and jump but waht ever way i have done it ,it has always worked out.

Bluepeterno1
Bit :offtop DH gets E. Lounge as something to do with work, but to be able to go into the sanctuary of the one at Gatwick from all the hubbub that goes off outside, people pushing & shoving, treading on your toes, eating smelly food next to you etc well no contest really.

Often we can't even get 4 seats in the lounges at Gat, let alone 4 seats together. Last time I managed 3 pimms with lemonade as well in the time I was there. Free internet, playstations, TV, newspapers, easy to view departure screens, comfy armchairs. I think I might even contemplate paying 18 quid if he loses it, although I suppose if I had to pay for all 4 of us I might think twice. They do mainly seem to be used by business travellers.

Many are adult only which people love as well. One we found at Gatwick took kids over 14 (or those that look & act over 14 as they don't check, as it's normally very quiet in them apart from the TV). They are number limited, so don't get crowded but this means you can be unlucky and not get in.
The one at Glasgow has a seperate room for kids with all sorts of toys and passtimes , the kids parents have to stay in that room with them ,usually take our thtree year old grandson,keeps him well amused.

Bluepeterno1
Oh sorry,

I must have got the wrong end of the stick!

I thought you meant you paid to use the Club Class lounge, which thinking about it I now realise you'd have to be flying Club to use those. Sounds like it's the Club lounges that are the boring ones then! Although going through Fast Track to avoid the queues is always nice.................... :)

If your flight was delayed by several hours could you book the Executive lounge there and then? And does the cost include as much food and drink as you want? I'd certainly fancy doing that if there was a really long delay and crowds of people everywhere!

Strawberry
Apparently, there is a limit to how much drinks you're alowed but a lot of people are not aware of this. I checked out the details for the lounge in Cardiff airport as someone my sis knows often uses it and raves about it - how much drinks her and OH have there, even (in my opinion) abusing the system and stocking up hand luggage with peanuts and snacks etc. The lounge is unmanned and you just help yourself to snacks and drinks from the fridge. The Cwlfly website states what you're entitled to for the price but I can't remember what the limits are off hand.
Some peeps will take as much as they can and that is well greedy and will put up the price of exec lounges if they keep doing that. You get a right bargain for an exec lounge and lots of us like to use them for all sorts of reasons.
I flew club class once as a special treat for my bday and they have the works :cheers you can eat and drink as much as you want and its all top grub, loads of it, real posh nosh, caviar stuff, top champagne and top class spirits and your treated real special specialy when you walk through without having to queue up, that's the bit I hate all the queuing up at check in and customs. You don't have any of that when you fly club. Wish I could afford to fly club all the time it takes all the hassle out of flying and they teat you like a king. :tup
gby
The few times I have used them I have not seen them abused. If people do that they will just up the prices to keep the riff-raf out.

You are not allowed to take items out of the lounges & the ones I have been in have always had personnel in them. You had to sign in/out, & show your authorisation to be there, they check it all on an on-line system. There were cleaners wipping tables, tidying newspapers, restocking and clearing away.

Realistically people are only likely to be there for 2 hours or so, so if you pay 72 pounds for 4, you would have to 'go some' to eat and drink that value.

We do it as it's a relaxed start to a holiday & I hate crowds. On reflection I would rather pay that than for the meals on a plane.

They aren't everywhere, I looked all over for the one at Sharm-el-Sheik and it wasn't anywhere, unless they have hidden it in the new terminal. :think But found the one at Faro easily enough.
Sorry off topic I know but if you have to fly from Aberdeen, then paying to use the lounge is a good idea. Why?? There is nothing there, Oh sorry a W H Smith, small cafe, and tiny duty free shop and the real biggie that Aberdeen Airport take great delight in advertising is a Dixons. That is it. Oil capital of Europe?? It is an embarassment.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.