Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi lisaloo! Like you I have great difficulty coping with the hot weather in this country but it really is different abroad. We always have to go in August as I work in a school but after a day or 2 adjusting I'm fine. Remember you don't have to do anything during the heat of the day. We tend to lie in the sun from about 9 til 11 30 then we're under the umbrella with a book or in the bar having a drink and a game of cards. At around 3 we re emerge into the sun once again. We also go in and out of the pool or sea about 20 times a day - I take an old hat and glasses with me and wear them in the water - my sister and daughter do the same. We don't care what we look like we're not going to be ill ! We save the sightseeing for after the evening meal. Make sure you drink plenty of water. Don't worry I'm sure you'll be fine.
if you cant stand the heat here you wont cope in turkey ive never been but went mallorca when it was 35, that hot you couldnt breath spent whole week in the sea i dont no why you booked for august if the heat gets to you hottest month abroad in my opinion. Heat does feel different abroad ive been sweating today in co durham and had to keep coming in plus you can just jump in the water abroad to cool off.
And no I don't mean tha air???, (conditioning),
I believe the athmosphere is so pure you're able to handle the heat, now I did find it really hot on our first trip to Turkey, but after that it was a breeze and I enjoy it and just love the whole athmosphere, (air included), heat, bright sky, sun, etc., by the way I have bad enough asthma (on three inhalers) and have developed sinisitus since Christmas this year, and the doc., actually said that I would be better off health wise to live in a hot country like Turkey as he said it has the best weather for my health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i.e., no smog etc., happy holiday anyway, bye.

Lisaloo where are you staying in Marmaris by the way? and it is true you can pace yourself and make sure you follow all the general sunbathing rules, and you don't have to work as you do here,.. use too much energy!
Honestly its ok. The humidity is different and you are not trying to do what you usually have to do. Enjoy it!!!
Lilo in the pool.........not far from the edge.......cold Efes within reach.........no problem.
hi, we go for the first time to turkey in two weeks time.I too am worried about the heat,both for me as a bad sufferer of prickly heat and the kids with being in the pool all day and in the sun.Looking at the temperatures during the day we will roast.However we went cyprus same time of year a couple of years ago and it was in the fourties plus.After a few days you did adjust and like someone said earlier keep out of the heat of the day.

cant wait now.....happy holidays 8) 8) 8)

sallington
i wouldnt worry about the heat you soon adjust,we always go in the hottest months and find it ok ..so much so that when we go in may i complain that its too cold :lol: just drink plenty of water and slap on the factor youll be ok i think the younger ones adjust more quickly than the adults,the only problem we have is the first few nights trying to sleep as the air.c.o,n seems to be in the main living area and not in the bedrooms.but there again we always go to goa in there hottest month too and survive .dont let the heat worry you its not a big issue really ,just enjoy xx jan
I am not a hot weather person (hate it, makes me very moody and lethargic) and was worried about the heat when i went to Turkey. Even my husband and son were saying that i was going to be unbearable. But it really is true that the heat is different over there. It is less humid and oppressive than a hot day here. I coped just fine and it was over 40 degrees some days. :D
Hi Sallington! As a horrendous sufferer of prickly heat I can sympathise with you. Last year I took an extra towel around the pool and used this to dry off before lying down. I found my prickly heat was a lot better than when I used to lie on a wet towel and generted more steam creating more clogged pores. Also I'm going to try a spray available on the net from http://www.victoriahealth.co.uk. It's £19 .99 but if it works it'll be worth it. Apparently you spray befor you put your sun cream on. I also take anti histamine for a month before we go and for the duration of the holiday. a friend told me always to dry off not dry in the sun.
Hi Lisaloo, Is it club alize your going to Aug 14th, We go Aug 10th from Bristol we live in Torpoint Just over the water from you, hope to see you at Alize, Me and Mick and two girls 15 and 17.
I was in Marmaris last week and it was very hot about 40 dgrees most days. I find that I can cope with that its the heat at night its still around 25 dgrees most nights and unless you have air conditioning it almost impossible to sleep

Stewart
There is one big difference, you are on holiday, you dress in more appropriate clothes than you do at home (I don't wear shorts that much here) you can jump in the pool or the sea, drink as much as you want etc, you are also relaxed no worries, after a while you will get used to it, and when there is a cloud in the sky you will feel the difference,
thanks for all the replys, maybe i should stop panicing and get on with buying all my holiday stuff, and yes maggiemae your right we are off to the club alize, :fly from exeter (via cardiff :cry: ) on august 14th, 6 weeks to go, maybe we can grab a :glynis together while we are there and let the men look after the children
roll on the heat. can't ait till i get my tan, the heat abroad is different from this heat, at least we have a pool to dip into,
I came back Friday and finding it hard here at home but even though it was scorching in Icmeler coped better with air conditioning and the sea was freezing but great once you dipped in we sat on chairs in the sea to keep cool (it was in the 40s on Tuesday) you will have a great time
I came back Friday and finding it hard here at home but even though it was scorching in Icmeler coped better with air conditioning and the sea was freezing but great once you dipped in we sat on chairs in the sea to keep cool (it was in the 40s on Tuesday) you will have a great time
Hey Lisaloo & Maggie

Another one from Plymouth here - Boy wasnt it hot today!!! Hope it pours down tonight - clear the air a bit

I have been going to Turkey for years and always avoided July & August till last year thinking i wouldnt cope!! But went last August and i was fine -Like others said its a different kind of heat - not at all clamy like it is here.

Im also going in August this year, 18th or 21st - Not sure where i will be staying as our apart booked, gonna leave it last minute :yikes Maybe we should arrange a 'Janners' HT meet :lol: Going with hubby, dd who will be 4, cousin and hubby with their kids 4 & 13

Cheers

LA
Hi Lisaloo and Leighanne,

So we'll all be there the same time,definately have to meet up and have a drink or two, Leighanne you seem like you know Marmaris the best maybe you could show us a few hotspots,and tell us where's the best place to buy things.Roll on the next six weeks. :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.