Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Hi there. Where is that from please? I just got quoted 1.15 from Kensington
Hi Tonyarosey, I think the 115.5 is at Eurochange in Benidorm you can find it here:- http://www.eurotabaco.net/ Linda.
Thanks for above. I have ordered mine at 1.15 to the £ from Kensington currency exchange online.
Tonya
I was getting between 1.15 & 1.16 with my Nationwide flex account during this week and last.
hello

can anyone tell me if the banks charge for changing sterling to euros?

I am going to alicante in 3 weeks, obviously the banks will give a better rate than the uk but do they charge for the facility of exchange?

If so who charges and who doesnt - your help is appreciated

:sun2
hello

can anyone tell me if the banks charge for changing sterling to euros?

I am going to alicante in 3 weeks, obviously the banks will give a better rate than the uk but do they charge for the facility of exchange?

If so who charges and who doesnt - your help is appreciated
Hi can anyone tell me what the best rate is in benidorm today. cheers.
Are the Wine Barrels, Sheilas and the Eurotabaco allabout the same exchange rate. If not which is the best. :cheers
they are more or less the same , maybe 1 euro between them at most ...but the thing is , you are guaranteed to get the amount of money you see on the board.
tartanscone wrote:
they are more or less the same , maybe 1 euro between them at most ...but the thing is , you are guaranteed to get the amount of money you see on the board.

I'm hoping you mean 1 Cent rather than 1 euro!

luci :wave
When checking the rates for the last few days, I've noticed that on the Eurotabac/Eurochange site, the rate for travellers cheques is lower than for Sterling. It's usually the opposite way round on that particular site. It's making me wonder what is happening, because we returned from the Murcia area on 15th July and we had a really hard time cashing travellers cheques. The first bank we went to refused ourtright to cash any, and said they'd had too many problems with them!
We had to pay someone to take us to the next town, and went to Santander bank, they did change them, but would only cash a certain amount per day. Does anyone know if there's a problem on the whole with travellers cheques?
I'm thinking of alternatives at the moment! Any feedback welcome.... :)
Whitewineandsoda a good one is the Nationwide cashcard, when the rate was 115 in Sheilas and eurotabac I was getting 118 by using this card. Getting difficult to obtain one but there is a way round it if you go on the other popular forum and search Nationwide cashcard the poster SimonMc is on the ball with it, my brother has just successfully applied and recieved one through the e-account method, but be quick it looks like they are trying to stop us getting these cards! John
Thanks for that John, I've tried to get one but it seems like they are hard to come by. I do prefer travellers cheques, but don't want to be in that position again. I'll be ok for next holiday, no problem cashing them in Benidorm lol.
I find it hard to believe that it is getting hard to open a Nationwide Flexaccount. It may just be that at this time of the year they are snowed under with applications as people realize they are the only bank that don't rip you off when you use a cash machine in Europe. Incidentally, for those people using other bank cards, those charges you see on your statement are from your bank, not the Spanish banks. No Spanish (German or wherever) bank has ever charged me to use their cash machine. Obviously if you use machines in shops etc then you will get fleeced, just like in this country.
I find it hard to believe that it is getting hard to open a Nationwide Flexaccount. It may just be that at this time of the year they are snowed under with applications

Nationwide have amended eligibiity for the Flex Account in recent months, to reduce the number of new customers who only wanted the account for occasional holiday use. Existing customers were not affected, but I believe they may be encouraged to start using it as a primary account. I think there may be a topic about it in General Holiday Enquiries.

David :wave
Cheers for explaining what I was meaning David, maybe Colin thinks it's a wind up, I was just mentioning the nationwide because it is a very good cashcard and I just applied in branch for mine but 6 weeks later it is no longer possible to get one without opening an account with them and my brother who had seen the benefits of mine had to go through the internet banking system for his but still worth the trouble. John
Certainly glad i got mine early last year! ;)

Best Regards - Taggy
I believe that the Abbey have either introduced a new fee or recently started to apply it to more transactions than previously. I'm talking about the £1.25 Overseas Transaction Fee.

I made a couple of recent bookings when based in the UK for flights starting in Spain. The fare obviously calculated in €'s but converted by the airline to GBP before requesting payment from the Abbey, paid with my Abbey Electron online and found these extra charges now being applied.

Has anyone else noticed they have been getting these £1.25 charges since around June time that they previously didn't get ?

If I had made a purchase direct with a spanish company and paid in €'s with my Electron card I could see the sense in paying this charge but I booked it in the UK, with a UK based company and had the GBP cost before the payment from the Abbey was requested.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.