Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Rate at Eurotabac today is 1.125.

This is their website.

http://www.eurotabaco.net/eurochange.php

There are various Eurochanges in Benidorm and one of the tabs on the webpage gives a map of where they are.
Hi Angela, the rate today for eurotabac is 1.13 for travellers cheques, and 1.12.5 for sterling this is the link to the site http://www.eurotabaco.net/
I don't know what the rate is at Sheila's, sorry, but it's in the indoor market, and eurotabac is sort of at the back of the market. In my experience you always get a better rate over there. The only thing is I don't know what the opening times are over the weekend, but someone else probably will! Have a lovely holiday!
Hi there,thank you both so much for the replies,i'm very grateful.
Best wishes
Angela.
1.12 to the pound begining of last week dropped to 1.09 at end of week
Exchange kiosk near the Pelicanos/Barrel still advertising 1.11 end of week. An annoyed customer was busy posting "beware/rip off" notices all around outside.
Hi all

Trying to work out if worth getting euro in uk or in resort

Todays uk rate 1.09 to pound 4TH NOVEMBER

What is todays euro rate in Benidorm

Need to know as changing 2k

Festival week here we come :cheers

cheers and Happy days

Taxi
Eurotabac shows the rate today as €1.095, although that is obviously no indication of what the rates may be next week. You may attract a slightly better rate (in either UK or Spain) for a transaction of £2k, however it may be worth checking your insurance policy, as that amount of cash may not be covered in the event of loss or theft.

David :wave
Thanks david

Is eurotabba rates indicitive of all the official change beuros in benidorm.

Money is for 3 of us
Am aware that most policies will only cover for small amounts so will take full advantage of hotel safe
Had a bad experiance with atm's eating cards in past and just not worth the risk

would u say in general though a better rate is acheivable in resort or best to just bite the bullet and buy here

cheers

Taxi
On any given day, a marginally better rate is usually available in resort than in the UK. The gamble in your case is that whereas you may be able to compare a rate today of €1.09 in the UK with perhaps €1.095 or €1.10 in resort, next week you may be looking at rates in both the UK and Spain which could be several cents lower or higher. While the difference on the day between UK and resort is marginal, it's the difference (up or down) in both places between this week and next which could be significant. The difficult decision is perhaps whether to buy now or later, rather than whether to buy here or there.

I accept your point about ATMs. While cards are a safer alternative, there is that risk of the card being swallowed and not easily or quickly replaced in resort. Travellers Cheques are seen by many these days as old fashioned, but they are safer than cash and quickly replaced in the event of loss or theft. Not wishing to labour on the potential risks, but even in a hotel safe, there may be insurance limitations on the amount of cash covered in the event of theft.

David :wave
You find in most hotels and apartments that having use of a safety deposit box gives you insurance cover upto a maximum of one thousand euro. That includes everything.
When we were in Benidorm last week we went to change £100 into Euros at one of the exchange places by Morgans/Talk of the Coast and, even though the rate was 109 euros to the pound, she only gave us 90 Euros. When challenged she said that we must have put 10 euros in our pocket, which was still 9 euros less than she should have given us anyway! After 5 minutes of arguing with her my boyfriend said that we wanted our english money back. She refused several times, until we threatened to call the police, and then she gave us it back. We walked further down the street and were just going to go into the exchange place near the Pelicanos Hotel when an english guy called over to us not to go in as they had done exactly the same to his wife the day before, but she hadn't got her english money back and has lost about 30 euros. Later the same day we were walking by this exchange place and there were two policemen and three very irate english women in there, so they must have done the same to them.

This is the first time we have ever had problems like this, so please make sure when changing money that you check what you have been given before leaving and, if possible, that there are other people around who can be a witness.
This happened to us the first time I visited Benidorm in an exchange shop near the indoor market, when we challenged them they quickly gave us our money back. The best exchange places are the ones that have a board out side with the amount you get for sterling, they will always count out the money in front of you before handing it over.
When exchanging money in Benidorm best off sticking to the tried and trusted places such as sheilas located at the indoor market or the Eurotabaco stores several located around Benidorm easily identified by the big blue signs their is no small print and misguided advertising like some places who advertise a exchange rate but only give you that rate if you exchange a substantial amount of money.

Be weary and careful when exchanging money.
If you see rates that are bigger than than most of the rest tread very carefully as these are the ones to watch out for, Eg, The present current rate is 109.5, The cheats will all advertise 111.00 and only payout about 91 euro to the pound you have been warned, Innitialy always ask how much for £100 most of the cheats wont answer you directly and direct you to the advertised signs situated inside the premises dont bother looking just walk away and go elsewhere.
what they do is slip a note under the counter.so they say you only gave them £90.00 or £80.00.or slight of hand it looks like you have been given full amount.

what is know as bucket shops.

Lady Scorpio do you mean the exchange shop next to the chemist/beershop/ on main road.if yes thats a bucket shop.the only time you will get that rate is if you change £3000.or 4000. but then they will say we do not have enough euro.s for that amount and offer you a silly rate.

like said stick to just one shop that you know well. if not use the barrell shops on main road.

these bucket shops know say 5% of the people will use them.if not sure use a nation wide flex card.you get a far better rate in the end.and saves you carrying loads of cash around with you.max 300 euro;s a day.but no limit on how much you spend when paying for goods with this card.

but always take a visa card as back up.

but always check front of atms.make sure there is nothing stuck on to it.
:que does anyone know what the rate is in benidorm today :que
:wave: what is the rate pound/euro today in beni at the moment ??
;) do you need your passport to change cash what would you get for 100 pounds today :wave:
Yes you will need your passport for at least the first time you change money over there. The best places are in the indoor market,when you change your money the likes of Sheila`s and the other one which i can`t recall what its called give you a little card that you show the next time so you don`t have to bring your passport again. Don`t let them places with high prices like the one near the Rosamar/Pelicanos fool you they will rip you off be careful. I allways change money over there you get a better rate. The rate changes all the time its hard to guess when is the best time before you go to get some euros in. Take what you will need for the first few days then change small amounts as and when you need it. I can`t warn you enough about them doddgy places to change money as loads of people fall for it every time. Have fun :) .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.