UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Hi Ali

I've requested it be added to the reviews section.
Have you seen their website HERE?

Pippy :D
If anyone would like to post a review, please do so HERE.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
We're going here for the Bank Holiday weekend - has anyone been recently? If so then I'd appreciate any info on what we can expect.
Here's my review if you're interested:

14 of us (8 adults + 6 kids) spent the early May Bank Holiday weekend at Darwin Forest in a Sudbury Lodge (no 26) and a Hassop lodge (no 23). We were looking for a park which wasn't too big, but still had some decent on-site facilities and that wasn't too difficult to get to. We also wanted good quality 3 and 4 bedroom accommodation. Darwin Forest seemed to fit the bill perfectly – so we were all keen to see if the reality lived up to the brochure etc. I'm pleased to report that it definitely did.

We arrived on a wet and windy afternoon and were glad to be able to check in quickly and head straight to our lodges. Both lodges were just a short walk from the main area with space for 2 cars outside. The Sudbury (2 doubles, 1 twin) seemed newer than the Hassop (2 doubles, 2 twins) – but both were well appointed and cosy. We'd be happy to book either again. The weather was mixed all weekend which meant we weren't able to make use of the decking, but we did at least get to use the Trim Tail, Woodland Walk, Forest Trail and outdoor play area. When the weather was bad, we made good use of Little Monkeys and the pool. The non-parents also spent quite a lot of time in the spa area, which was lovely and relaxing. We had a nice dinner in the Forester's Inn and lunch in the Explorers Café (worth getting there early if you have kids who get ratty if they eat late). We also managed trips out the nearby Farm Park and into Matlock Bath (go there as early as you can and park at the Heights of Abraham) – both were enjoyed by everyone, as was lunch at the Grouse and Claret at Rowsley. There really is a lot to do in the area so you are unlikely to get bored!

The only small negative comment I would make is that we felt the charge for using the hot tubs is very expensive (£100 for a week/£80 for a short break). We were contacted 3 times to ask if we wanted to use it but couldn't justify the extra expense, especially when it only cost £3.75 each to use the spa. I'm sure more people would pay to use them if the cost was lower. This is a minor point though, overall we really liked Darwin Forest and are very likely to go back there in future.
Thanks Corinne ... maybe you would like to copy your report to the very neglected Darwin Forest Country Park review page when you have time:
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/england/derbyshire/matlock/darwin-forest-country-park/

David :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.