Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I think night flights are easier....

Getting up earlier for 4.00am can be stressful, whereas if you go for a nice lunch and airport later inthe day it feels less rushed....

What company are you flying with? You can sometimes pre-book specific seats.

Is the the journey time that puts you off? Tunisia has similar flight times to Spain .....
Hi i havent booked a holiday yet so not sure who i will be flying with. I am looking to book at the weekend.

I do really want to go to Turkey to be honest as i have bene there 3 times before but over 10 years ago and loved it so would like to go back if i can sort out my fear, its just a horriblel feeling i get even now and i havent even booked yet!! And im already having sleepless nights! :(
My brother-in law hates flying so gets Valium from his Doc and has a drink before boarding then only sits in the aisle seats.Night flights might be better as you could try and sleep?? Good luck!
Hi miss marple

I try so hard to sleep but im that scared i just cant, i really wish i could then i wouldnt know how scared i was! I cant even get out of my seat and go to the toilet, i cant talk to my partner, i just cant do anything!! I know i sound like a freak and should stick to camping or something! :rofl but i know its all worth it in the end! :tup
Hi kellyrich i know how you feel,i prefer a day time flight so i can see how far i am up,if you know what i mean,but the last few years have had no choice but had a night flight.I cannot sleep either and like you wont even leave my seat to go to the toilet.I try to comfort myself by saying look how many flights there are in a day,and look at all the childrens faces waiting to board the plane for their hols theyre not scared.Hope you manage to get booked up :sun2
Thanks cockneygirl, its nice to know im not the only freak! :rofl

I always think about how many flights etc there are and i feel better for the whole of about 1 a minutet then a bad thought takes away that feeling!!

But i am determined! :sun2
I know what it's like went on holiday with another family member,had hard job getting her up the steps to board -had to loiter until everyone had gone in then run up! Have your Doc prescribed sleeping tablets before? That coupled with a large brandy or 2 might work.
kellyrich,

You may find our Fear of Flying topic useful over on the Flights Forum. I prefer day time flights so I can look out of the window and watch the world pass beneath, but night flights can be good as well. Overall, I would prefer day time flights so you're not losing a nights sleep. My flight to Dalaman on Friday departs at 1855 so we won't be getting to Icmeler until about 3 or 4am, and be up all night for the return flight. In that respect, I'd prefer a day flight. When travelling further afield, it makes little difference with crossing more time zones and the sun setting and rising within the same flight!

Darren
i also prefer day time flights, i find if i have a very early morning 5-7 am or a night flight it takes me about 2-3 days to recover and i feel like a zombie lol, im not afraid of flying but i do struggle to sleep on a plane. good luck ,think only you can decide which is best for you :tup
Hi Darren

I posted this in another section also and you told me to look at that thread "Fear of Flying" and i am still residng through it at the moment! Its very interesting, although i think its all just in my mind and wont go away whatever i do! lol But im gonna keep reading through it. One thing that does surprise me in some of the posts is people saying that you cant crash because of turbulance, this is what really scares me i hate turbulance as i always think it can knowck you out of the sky! :rofl

To be honest i am struggling to find any daytime flights to Dalaman for when we want to go so we shall see!

Thanks again!

Have a great holiday! I too hope to be back in Icmeler in 2 weeks time! :sun2
Night flights definatley its more relaxed and you have the advantage of not having to rush around but the disadvantage is that you arrive in the early hours but a day of sunbathing soon puts that right :sun2
i'm not that bothered, i love flying and i class it as part of your holiday.

after going to australia 2 yrs ago 4hrs to turkey is a doddle

nights, then hopefully the kids will be sleeping
I prefer the night flights to and from Turkey as they are quieter and the stewards usually dim the lights which help you sleep.
The airports are quieter and there is less traffic on the roads ,so it cuts down on the transfer time.
The only problem I have with night flights is if they mean arriving at your acommodation just as it is getting light. If I get in to bed while it is still dark and sleep for about 6 hours I am usually fine but this time we arrived at the villa at 7.30 am and I felt dreadful. It took me a couple of days to recover.
thats exactly how i feel jmk, we usually seem arrive home at 7am and i find it hard to then go to sleep ,even though ive had hardly any sleep on the plane, whereas my daughter has slept in the transport to airport, on seats at the airport ,on the plane & car on the way home and is then full of beans lol :duh
What about a hypotherapy session even as a calming thing. The airlines do those nervous flyer courses as well dont know if you've thought of trying them or if they work.

I hate night flights because i cant sleep and no leg room etc, but its not as busy at Dalaman coming or going home at night and cooler. You cant see hardly anything out of the windows cos its dark, perhaps the odd row of orange street lights if there's no clouds which might be a good thing so that could benefit you.

The cabin lights are dimmed, but people the lucky ones are generally snoozing, so there isnt as much people watching to do which helps keep off things.

Given the choice I prefer day flights and if you're not to scared to look out it can be fascinating looking at the snow covered alps and seeing the boats in the sea when you fly over some of the greek islands as you approach Turkey.

My step dad used to suffer as well, didnt mind the landing and take off it was the bit in the middle, he wouldnt even talk to my mum but he knew he had to suffer if he wanted to go on hols. And we'd done the coach journeys to Spain twice so he knew what the option was 4 hours on a plane or 26 on a coach / ferry - not to be repeated.

Good luck either way.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.