Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
My recommendation for a resort would be Kalkan, also consider Olu Deniz I will bump the topics for you.

Les
i hated kalkan i gave it numerous chances but have now decided never to return i found it snooty pretentious and cliquey, this was the brits might i add, all the staff in the bars and restaurants were polite enough.It is a hell of a journey from dalaman probally the same as turunc and it is very british as there are a lot of ex pats who live there.It is quite upmarket and this is reflected in the prices,.Olu deniz we didnt like for personal reasons as we travelled with anglo kurdish/turkish children and the discrimination we encountered was disgraceful ,.Might i suggest gocek it is truly lovely there is no beach but calis and dalyan are nearby and there are plenty of shops and bars why dont you do a two/three centre break ?a few days in gocek then travel down to olu for a few then over to kalkan( if you must)you will find loads of reasonable accomadation on travel republic and the dolmus service is as all over turkey very reasonable and cheap good luck
Hi.

Thank you for the suggestions. It's funny reading the comments about Kalkan being snooty etc. I'm from Bristol and I was talking to someone recently who had been there and they described Kalkan as being like Clifton, which they clearly didn't mean as a compliment. For anyone not from the South West, Clifton is the "posh" bit of Bristol and some would say it has a bit of a reputation for being populated by wealthy people that tend to look down on the rest of the city ;)

Isn't Gocek the expensive yachting place?

Cheers.
Yes gocek is the yachting place but it has no side to it and is perfectly welcoming and friendly, as we are both from the north and the other half has a tattoo on his arm we basically fit all the misconceived stereotypes lol and we defiantly got the impression we didn't fit in whilst in kalkan as I mentioned there is a large ex pat community there (so you can imagine).please don't take my word for it as one mans foil is another mans folly,I have travelled all round the resorty type places in turkey and Kalkan and olu deniz aside loved everywhere I have a love / hate telationship with icmeler due to family having lived there for the best part of 10 years and see and hear some things that you wouldn't believe .When we told a couple we were casually chatting to in a bar in Kalkan that we had travelled down from marmaris and my mother lived up there they openly winced and said "eugh Blackpool"we could have been equally smug and mentioned that her home was actually in hisaronu/selimye a good half hour from marmaris and far more turkish than Kalkan could ever hope to be but we prefer to keep things real and have no "marmaris shame" Kalkan rant over hope you find somewhere appropriate calis is ok a little shabby but has a nice atmosphere good luck.
If you know where the ex-pat bars/restaurants are in Kalkan, then you simply keep away from them !! When we were out there in 2006, Ali Babas, which was opposite Breeze restaurant at the top of the town was one. We had a meal there and were aware of ex-pats,"lording it, or was that larding it ??" :rofl :rofl on the bar stools. Being an ex-pat myself, we keep away from such places, add to this, we are not Bar people. The Turkish people of Kalkan were terrific and not in your face but more welcoming. We would have been living there now but you were getting less for your money to what we've got now.

Les
We are going to Calis Beach in May as a change from Icmeler.
It seems a nice quiet resort with the town of Fethiye just up the road so the best of both worlds.
We are going to a hotel but did considered the Sea Star apartments in the resort which have good reviews and they look really nice.
Their website is http://www.seastarapart.net/
We have booked Seastar apartments for September,haven't been to Calis before,back to Icmeler in May first.
Hi OSCARBEN.

Did you pick them based on web reviews or for some other reason or recommendation? I thought about going to Calis a few years ago but the reviews at the time weren't very flattering about the resort and beach.

Cheers.
Hi Random Number,we were looking at Travel Republic and they were being offered as Sc accommodation,we looked at their site,read the reviews and liked what we saw and read,hope they are as good as they seem.The price was fantastic ,too.We picked Calis because we didn't want somewhere too brash,but we can pop into Hisaronu and Fethiye if we feel like it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.