America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Discory Cove
108 Posts
than that, my web wont allow me to view your photos, great to hear it is brill, cant wait now, im very nervous swimmer though, will that matter?
Not at all. They give you wetsuits or a vest. Everyone wears them so don't worry about looking daft. It will be very difficult for you to sink in the water
Hi,

You will need to book early, and we booked direct
http://www.discoverycove.com

Its a expensive day, but well worth not missing. The ticket price does include your meal for the day, entry to Seaworld for 7 days, and I believe now you can pay a little extra to also include Busch Gardens for 7 consecutive days.

I have just checked the Keith Prowse brochure and there price is £167.00 for the 1 Day Swim (this I believe to include the Dolphin Swim) & £99.00 for the 1 Day Non Swim (no dolphin swim).

Your party must book at least one Dolphin Swim Ticket, that goes for Discovery cove direct or Keith Prowse.

We went as a party of 9 (mixed ages) in 2001, and four of the children done the dolphin swim. It was not quite what they expected, they felt that they would have liked longer in the water. The 30 minutes starts with a video and they only spend about 15 mins in the water, and being part of a group does restrict your time with the dolphins.

But our opinion as adults was slightly different, the pictures that we purchased told the story. There faces were unbelievable, so I feel that it was worth every penny.

I do not swim in deep water and have never been brave enough to snorkle, I done both at Discovery Cove. They supply life jackets, and with the help of our party I managed to snorkle.

Overall, it was a very special day. When you arrive at Discovery Cove its like booking into a Hotel, and quiet as they only take 1000 people. Try booking for a Saturday or Sunday when the other parks are heaving. During August you may get caught out with a few thunder storms, not sure how this will impact on your day. I believe like any park you will not be allowed in the water, usually they do not arrive before 3.00pm.

This experience is a bargain, especially if you are planning to visit Seaworld as well. Just take the £99.00 basic price and take away the price of a good lunch, then the price of a day ticket to Seaworld and its a bargain, and dont forget you can visit Seaworld as many times as you wish within that 7 day period.

So much to say, and not enough time.

Happy Holidays,

Regards,

Karen.
ah that is fantastic advise, think i will go ahead and book it now.
thanks for the tips.
Hope you have a great time red
I went to Discovery cove in December 2003 and had a good time, altough i do think it was a bit expensive for what it was!

I paid £175 through Virgin, and only ended up spending 15 monutes in the water with the dolphin, Natlaie. I was on my own with 3 other couple in my group. As i was only my own, the dolphin trainers tended to let the couples do all the things, then give me a go if there was time, which made me really annoyed! I paid the same as the others and only got to touch the Dolphin twice, where as they did loads of stuff.

The food was nice with a chioce of about 6 dishes. There was only one decent coice for kids which was chicken strips, which i had and were really nice!

I went round the lazy river a few times which was really nice and tried snorkelling in the pool but got a bit freaked out by the fish touching me and the sting rays so i got out.

I dont like birds much so i stayed away from the aviary.

I got quite bored and had to wait until 3pm when my photos of my dolhin swim wee ready, and i then arranged to be taken back to my hotel as i didnt want to hang around doing nothing.

This was a good day, but as i was on my own, i got quite bored sitting on the beach!!!! i think you should look at other options as it didnt seem to be that good value for money, although i did use the pass for Seaworld one day which was the best and most enjoyable day i had in Orlando! I heard that Seaworld are doing this kind of Dolphin swim now in the early morning, which are cheaper and better value for money.
We booked direct with Discovery Cove at http://www.discoverycove.com for abour £140 which we didn`t think was bad at all. We were lucky as going out of season(Feb) we got 45 mins in with the dolphin . However, just being there was truly amazing. The rays were great and the fish round the wreck was fascinating. The food was excellent. Even if you get less time in the water, it is an experience not to be missed. The 7 consecutive days in Seaworld were a bonus too.
Di.:wave
Hi, i'm thinking about booking this as an extra for my holiday in october to florida.

as ive already got all my tickets, this would mean saving the extra money for it - so, can anyone tell me if it's worth the £128 per ticket? and what you get for your money etc?

any information would be great! :)
I haven't done it myself Becky-but have had several guests who have. One lady even booked just a 5 day trip purely to do that for her birthday.

Everyone that has stayed with me said it was fantastic-myself I couldn't quite justify the cost.

I prefer to see them in the wild-preferably from the back of a boat like we did at Clearwater on the back of the Sea Screamer-to see them jumping through the boat's wake just 5 feet away from the boat-was truly awesome and thrilling!
Thanks Alison, i take it you own a villa? if you dont mind me asking where?

it includes entry to busch gardens or sea world.

its always been an ambition of mine, so im quite keen on the idea.

we're renting a villa in formosa gardens for 15 of us. :)
Ah-I know Formosa Gardens it's just down from where I am on Lindfields.

It's a nice area close to Splendid China and just around the corner from The Outback steakhouse, Carrabas retaurant (Both favourites of ours) Cracker Barrel and Winn Dixie supermarket. Publix supermarket is just up the road.

You'll have to let us know how 15 of you get on in one villa.
Hi Becky, it is worth every penny, we have done it the last 2 times we have been to Florida and will be doing it when we go back next year. The whole day is superb, can`t recommend it highly enough,
John
Oh, thats great John

thanks very much!

can i ask, do you get any pics etc included in the price? :)
Hi Becky
It is a fantastic day out not sure it is worth the money though
I was expecting longer with the Dolphins. Lunch is include in the price and was very good.
As for the photos they are a bit expensive we had 4 and cost around £50. You do get one free photo taken when you walk in.

Simon
As Simon says Becky, you do get 1 complimentary photo included in the price, this is taken usually as you are going into the park once you have obtained your passes. They do sell snapshot cameras that can be used under the water, and we found these to be ok when swimming with the rays/ tropical fish. We got the package of photos the first time we visited but did not bother the next time, like I said we thought it was worth the money, and because the echange rate was not as good it cost us £160 each, go you will love it, John
Hi Becky

No one is more stingy than me, when my eldest (married) daughter said she wanted us all to go there on a recent family holiday, I saw the price and said NO WAY, I was talked into it VERY reluctantly.
Let me tell you this, I loved it and thought it was good value for money, everything was included, lunchtime was excellent choice of food and very well presented and prepared. The man made beach and pool/lagoon was very very good, I tried for the first time snorkeling, in the salt water lagoon and was actually swimming with rays and all sorts of fish it was amazing. Then the best bit, the encounter with a dolphin, we were assigned to Capricorn, a very big dolphin, the experience was AWESOME, yes the photo's and video are expensive but just get a picture size (we got the keyrings) that you want. You can take your own pics or video if all your party are not joining in, but there will always be someone there willing to do it for you,
AND you get a seven day pass for Seaworld, go and feed the young dolphins, we thought we had spent about an hour feeding them but on our return home the video proved it was nearly FOUR hours,
My advice, ignore the price JUST DO IT, you will love it.
Regards
Mike
That is a good point Mike, about the tickets to seaworld that is a big saving in itself might be worth telling more people I forgot about that because we did discovery cove last and didn't have time to go back to seaworld paid for tickets previously.
thats great advice, thanks very much mike!

im going to book it on monday now, and show these replies to the rest of the people going with us that are hesitant!

i'm getting really excited now - 8 weeks today!!!

you get seaworld or bush gardens in the price - we're going to use bush gardens as we've bought our universal and seaworld tickets already! we're going for 3 weeks so this and bush gardens are going to be kept for the last week, when we planned on doing nothing.

thanks everyone!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.