Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
gumbet
198 Posts
Anybody talking to Mick in the Irish Rover bar.. :?: Hope he is keeping well.. :!: Spent a drunken fortnight in 2001 in the bar ... Great crack..Nearly poisoned mysely with raki over the two weeks...Great place for a good night out and a session.. :wink:
hi everyone, going to the hotel & villa rosa in gumbet for the first time, also first time in turkey. can anyone please give me a few pointers about hotel and resort please. thank you in advance :)
Hi

After finally persuading my hubby to go to Turkey (he's a little worried about visiting muslim countries,lol)
Were either going to stay at Simba Hotel or Jasmin Apts - any suggestions?

On the other hand ive seen some good deals for Hisaronu ... choices choices!!!
Also what can i expect from either resort 1st-15th oct ie: things to do, will it be busy, bars although not 2 fused about clubs, and most importantly the weather.

Plz help
Thanks
Nic x
Hi Nic, havn't been to Gumbet before, going for the first time this year. But been to Hisaronu several times in the last 5 years. Surgest you try hisaronu.com lots of info and photos. I have been with with party of 26 ranging from 18 to 50 years of age. Also been with just two others. All ways enjoyed it. Nice people, good bars, not far from the best beach in Turkey. Enjoy! Steve
We stayed at the Parkin Palas about this time last year. The PP is situated between the two complexes you mention. Both are convenient for the beach - which is pretty narrow and covered in wooden sunloungers. The sea is very shallow here - can wade out a hundred yards before getting your tum wet. When we went there was a cool breeze early ii the week, but as it droppped later in the week the weather got to be very warm and pleasant. On the other hand the hotel pool was frigid - at this time of year if pools are kept clean and the water changed there is not enough power in the sun to warm it up again. Sea temp was OK. We had a great day out on one of the 'Gullet' style boats cruising around the nearby islands and bays - stopping off to swim or snorkel.
There is also a nice head;land between Gumbet and Bodrum with old windmills that makes for a nice walk on a cooler day or early evening.
Nearby Bodrum is a busier town with shops and a market, and there are other beaches and towns close at hand for a trip out too.

Gumbet is packed with bars and restaurants, by the second half of October some begin to close for the winter, but there are still plenty to choose from.
In my opinion, places like Gumbet, Hisoranu etc. are exactly the same as Aiya Napa, Magalluf and Las Americas. These are resorts built specifically for Brits, pie, chips and Worthy best bitter places and disco's 'till dawn, that's not necessarily a bad thing if that is what you're looking for, but if you stay here you will not see the best side of Turkey.
We have been to Gumbet and Hisaronu ,the first place we visited in Turkey was marmaris in late September ,the weather was superb and the resort was busy enough.
We went the next year to Hisaronu in late september and really enjoyed the location and the proximity to Olu Deniz this was a really relaxing holiday with just enough bars etc.
In between this we had summer holidays in maramris .really good and ICMELER , WHICH IS SIMPILY THE BEST.

In september last year we went to gumbet IF this was the first place we had gone in Turkey we would probably never have gone back again.
ITS A DUMP.
We stayed in a brand new complex which was excellent but the night time was poor.

The thing to remember is that the season closes at the end of October so the resorts that are not as busy will be quiter, i would think this would be Hisaronu BUT Gumbet will be busier.
Marmaris will have plenty of life as will Icmeler.
The weather in our experince will still be very good high 20 degrees bit cooler at night , but shorter days.
MY ADVICE PICK SOME HOTELS FROM THE HOTEL REVIEW SECTION and find somebody who went last year at the same time you are thinking of going . See what they said about the resort etc .
and then you will have to make your mind up , but you will enjoy it
good luck
I'm 36 and hubby 42 we found Gumbet very loud bit busy for us but the younger ones loved it must say it was great place but if clubbin and hearing cheesy songs till 4 or 5 am ain't your scene then check out elsewhere ok x
We stayed in Gumbet in Sept 2005 on our 4th trip to Turkey. We were disappointed by Gumbet.

We normally go for more uncomercial resorts but have stayed in Marmaris in the past and would choose Marmaris again over Gumbet.

Gumbet was very quiet - like it was 1/2 empty which meant you got hassled all the time to go in shops and restaurants as propietors were desparate for custom.

To us Gumbet seemed to have soemthing missing - namely people - it was the kinda resort you expected to be bustling but it wasn't.

I haven't stayed in Hisanorou but I would chose there over GUmbet - a much nicer coast line with good access to Olu and Fethyie.

Just my opinions and you may disagree!
Hi , I have just found a website listing a few bars, some of which I have never heard off.... maybe some of you regualer Gumbet Goers could enlighten me

Yucca - Have heard of this, but does anyone know what the live entertainment is .....

Annelivia Restaurant ...... supposedly owned by an irish couple

Karaoke Cabin ... my husband is a Karaoke fanatic, I am surprised we never found this one the last time we were in Gumbet

Murphies Irish bar .......... again coming from Belfast , we like to go to at least one Irish bar while on holiday, but didn't think there were any in Gumbet

If some one could fill us in on the whereabouts of these restaurants and bars I would be very grateful, we are staying in the Mimosa this year, and they seem to be on the opposite side of Gumbet to were we stayed last time, maybe that is why we never found any off them

Jenni
Hiya Jenni,

Okay - I've never had a meal in the Annalivia - but its up round the corner from the Golden Dragon restaurant, right at the top of Bar Street (Golden Dragon has the Ozukara restaurant opposite it).
Murpheys bar is also up that road where the Annalivia is, it used to be called the Shamrock.
There is also another Irish bar in Gumbet, called the Irish Rover. Its on the same side of the road as the Mermaid bar (the one near the La Maison aparts) but a bit closer to Bar Street.
Planet Yucca is amazing for food, but I was there just as it was opening last year, and there was no live music.
There are 2 or 3 Karaoke bars in Gumbet - theres the Log Cabin, which is at the junction of Bar Street, across from what was Mudurno Chicken last year. There is also the Karaoke Cabin, which is underneath the Mystery Bar, almost at the top of Bar Street. And then theres the ever-popular Mr Froggs, which is right at the top of Bar Street, but over the road (underneath the windmill).

Elaine
Your a star Elaine, we stayed in La Maision two years ago and never once spotted any of those bars . Any way, we will be making more of an effort this year to go out and about more in the evenings instead of just staying in the Cornor Bar

Thanks again

Jenn
any one been to gumbet in septemeber??? is it still lively.. whats the weather like? thanks!
Hiya,

I used to be in Gumbet every September, until a couple of years ago.
Its still lively in September, the bars etc don't start closing for the season until October. The weather is great in September too (just like here in the UK this week actually 8) 8) ). The added advantage in September is that the sea and the pools are much warmer than at the start of the season, so its much more comfortable to go swimming or jumping in the pool to cool off.

Happy holidays,

Elaine
ok thats sounds ok!! i just need sun!!!!
i can echo what Elaine has just said, we went to gumbet last september it was hot hot hot and very lively, you will have a lovely holiday, enjoy.

fizz xx
anyone been within the last couple of months?!
No.... but we go out on Friday and will certainly be paying Bar Street a visit, including the pubs 'round the corner'..... Roxy, Smillies, Corner bar etc etc
:yipee :glynis :yipee

Ray
P.S. We WILL be eating, sunbathing and seeing some sites (no doubt), as well as having a 'few' drinks in Gumbet!!!

Ray & Co
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.