Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
gumbet
198 Posts
welcome to ht andrew :D im going to gumbet myself in september
so dont forget to tell us all about your hol :wave

love fizzxxxxx
Off to gumbet for two weeks on sunday, anyone else going???? :yipee
Anyone recommend good places to eat out in Gumbet?

Do they have boat trips there and where would one recommend to book?

Any other holiday info would be great like waterpark, go-karting etc.

Thanks to anyone who can help. :
Hi Macjack,

If you read all the pages of this thread about Gumbet, I'm sure you'll find loads of information and recommendations for restaurants, trips etc.

There are loads of boat trips operate from Gumbet bay every day, you can book them on the beach, at any tour agency, or at your favourite restaurant or bar. Don't book any trips with your tour operator, they are always overpriced and usually overcrowded, compared to exactly the same thing sold by the tour agencies in town.

Happy holidays,

Elaine
Hi all

Just wanted to say I got back from Bodrum this morning...what a wonderful place! Floating round the internet trying to look at all the places I'd seen when I stumbled across this forum..

I'd been to Gumbet before with my mates, but we decided on Bodrum this time as it seemed to have a wider selection of things to do. I don't think I prefer either one more, they both had their own benefits...we had such a good time..just a shame we're now back in blighty.

We loved it! Gumbet is close enough to visit, which we ended up doing most days as there were no watersports on Bodrum beach, and was less than a pound to get between the two..

So jealous of you all who are about to go though...think next year I'll go towards the end of the summer, or maye just go twice :) Have fun!!

(and if anyone has a spare ticket please let me know. :D )
it certainly is a difficult place to leave amy, i remember how gutted i felt when i came back last summer!
HI - my daughter (14) has just come back from Gumbet, she went with her friend and her family. They are both nagging me to take them back in October. It would be about the 9 October for 2 weeks. Can anyone tell me would it be really quiet at that time of year? what the weather would be like? Also we have been looking at the Alka Club appartments are they any good? and where abouts they/or near to so they have some idea where they are? Sorry lots of questions hope someone can help? I have been to Turkey once to Marmaris in the 80's so think Turkey will have changed a lot since then, cheers :lol:
Hiya,

In mid October in Gumbet, some restaurants and bars will be starting to wind down for the season, but you get great bargains in the shops at that time of year.
The weather is still good mostly too, although you will probly need a light jacket or jumper in the evenings.
October is still a popular time for tourists to Gumbet, don't worry, you'll have a great time, and the popular restaurants and bars are still going strong then.

The Club Alka apartments gets good reviews, they are very central (just off one of the main streets in Gumbet) and only 5 minutes walk from the beach. The reception is situated half way up a fairly steep hill, but there are steps all the way down to the street. And you get amazing views across Gumbet bay from the hotel balconies up there.

Happy holidays,

Elaine
hi lesley stayed at club alka on the last two weeks in september last year.the apartments are on the top of a steep hill but you can walk the other way around it by heading towards the windmill which is alot flatter.the weather then was in the high 80s.across the road is the ozukara2 apartments.if you can strongly recommend you book these instead brand new and much much nicer where you can have a turkish bath(recommended). overall had a great time but going back to marmaris this year the wife likes the shopping more there. if you go sure you will have a good time...cheers...nubber
Sorry another question - would anyone recommend La Maison rather than Club Alka? Which would be best for someone who is not particular fit as the Alka is up a steep hill, thanks? :lol:
Hiya,

The La Maison is right next door to the Club Alka, they are both built on a steep hill. And the disadvantage with the La Maison is that you can't avoid the hill to get in and out the hotel (you can avoid the hill at the Club Alka by going the long way round from the hotel, by the windmill at the top of Bar Street).

For reviews of the accommodation they are both about the same I think.
Gumbet itself as a resort is built on a hill - so most accommodation involves climbing up or down steps. Really the only way to avoid hills and steps in Gumbet is to get a hotel right on the main beach, or slightly at the Bodrum side of the bay, as you then have shops, restaurants, bars etc on the road behind the beachside hotels. There are loads to choose from - Mimosa, Dilek, Sami Plaza, Parkim Palais, Ayaz, Sami Beach, Baba, Sunclub, Magnific, Colossus, Mels, Turihan all would involve little or no climbing and are central for the resort.

Elaine
Hi Elaine

thanks for that - do you know where the Bozok apartments are? up the hill or not? thanks :D
The Club Bozok apartments? They're not on a steep hill. They are on the Bodrum side of Gumbet, only about 5 - 10 minutes walk from the beach and shops, restaurants etc. They are new too, only about 3 years old, and get very good reviews.
Make sure you are booking the Club Bozok, and not the Bozok. These are completely different, and the Bozok doesn't get good reviews at all. Having said that, I don't think the Bozok is sold by the main tour operators in the UK. I know Club Bozok is sold by Airtours and Thomas Cook.

Elaine
thanks Elaine you have been really helpfull
Having just arrived back from gumbet I have to reccommend one really good place to eat, the food is fantastic staff are great and you can watch all of your english programmes\(like most restaurants I suppose!). Its a place called 'Uncle Festers' (no I'm not on commission or anything to do with the place!) just visted there (along with lots of other places) and had some really nice meals :wink: .
One place I never got to try was that windmill steak place which is highly reccommended on here :cry: , might have to go back then and try it :D .
Whereabouts is Uncle Festers Simoted?

Elaine
We stayed at the magnific, if you come from bar street in gumbet (passed the magnific) not the beach side, its about 200 yards up the road on the left hand side. :wink: English bloke who looks like uncle fester owns it, he's a good laugh.
Do you mean past the Serhan and Tolga hotels, but on the other side of the road?

Elaine
Not sure on the hotel names!, passed magnific then passed the taxis on the left hand side, there is a couple of hotels and restaurants on the right hand side (also a jewellers), then its the first place on the left.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.