Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
menekse yes they do turkish food and i would advise you to try the turkish deserts omg me and the hubby had a fantastic night after one of those i hear they have aphrodisiac qualities (ok spelling is a little off me thinks ) but who spells when they are having a good time :oops:
i fly to gumbet on sunday and i cant wait....but those bars can look out as me and the father in law likes a beer on 15.i will do a posting on all my thoughts etc upon my return.should be a intresting posting as im travelling with gold trail going to sami beach hotel and in the brochure it says air conditioning included,but you can bet they are going to TRY and charge for it,so im expecting my first bit of huggling before i start.but i will do a honest posting upon my return..as i love turkey best place iv been on hols take care all i hope the weather changes for the better for you 8)
have a great time, im going there myself 5th sept, so look forward to hearing all about it :lol:
We fly out from gatwick 7am monday morning :D :D :D

Although i have a heavy cold and a toothache i am sure it will be ok when we get there
I'm going to sami beach 4th september. OK hotel but i've heard some rooms arent that good, ask for one of the new ones
Jasmin Beach here already e mailed then and asked for the Narcissus block which they say they will allocate for us
We got back from Gumbet on 22nd August :cry:

We had an absolutely brilliant time (me, hubby and 14yr old son). We stayed at the Mimosa apartments which were nice and central without being in the middle of busy Bar Street (I did my review already!).

Planet Yucca was our favourite restaurant - even if it was a bit far to walk for us. But after our first visit, they sent a taxi for us twice! Crazy Bob (from Ireland he says!) is still there and a great entertainer.

We also found a wonderful little restaurant called Turkish Delight - its located up the hill at the back of Bar Street - and the views over the sea while you eat are fantastic! They do turkish food with an irish twist!

Other great places to eat were Jasmin Gardens, Cafe de Columbia and the Red Dragon. We tried loads of places and didnt have a bad meal.

The cheapest Efes we found was 2tyl for a 50cl bottle at Beach Bar (no where near the beach!) on the corner of Bar Street. Its a big place with great music, dance floor etc and the guys in there are great.

Chill out and watch the soaps or footie at the No Name Bar. Its run by a family from Bristol. The cocktails here are gorgeous and very generous servings.

We booked our boat trip through Stephan outside the Ayaz restaurant on the beach, and would recommend his trips. For a tenner, we had 5 stops including camel beach, cliff diving and a natural spa, lunch, apple tea and biscuits were included and the guys on board were great fun (especially Mr Wonderful!)

Almost forgot, go to the waterpark - great day out. If you are away for 2 weeks, make sure you go on a Monday, its the quietest day as lots are coming and going from the airport. We didnt queue for a thing, wheras other holiday makers who went on different days told us they queued for 45 mins for some slides. Not good in the heat!

Cant wait to go again next year! :sulk
Great review Kazibabes -

Brought it all back to me 8) . We used to go to the Turkish Delight for our last meal of the holiday, timed it just perfect to see the sunset over the hills - as you say, fabulous views.

Elaine
I have been going mad trying to remember the name of that restaurant. Our direct holiday rep's family owned it and her husband has the Irish pub by the Aussie bar and Legends. Mind you that was last year and things change Thanks for that, fancy forgetting such an obvious name.
Excellent restaurant.
Hi,

We fly out from Manchester on 5th September. My second time to Gumbet and I cant wait.

Stopping in Ayaz Aqua Studios!
Back from Gumbet yesterday 29th August

Not impressed at all to be honest.

Ok it was ok but only ok

Jasmin beach

We were allocated a ground floor room , very spacious although i never did work out why in a self catering apartment for a minumum of 4 people thay only give you 3 chairs to go with your patio table on the balcony. Found the maid service abysmal , beds not changed towels not changed and even one night one pillow was missing!!!!!!!!!
Ants everywhere inside the room (yes i know its not blackpool with cod and chips :P l).
Staff were good and the wife will specially reccomend the "relaxing" turkish bath!!!!!!! What a lovely start to a 2 week holiday for her the bloke in the turkish bath kept remarking on the size of her chest then at the end tried it on BIG time with her. Complaints were made to reception but " i do not understand" was the best we got. Reported it to first choice rep when we eventually found her 3 days later.
Drinks in Jasmin heavily overpriced as was the food compared to elsewhere even in neigbouring hotels.
Pools and pool areas were clean and well looked after as were the grounds etc.

Gumbet resort

Gumbet is fine if a little sparse outside of bar street and the surrounding areas , Cafe de colombia was lovely to eat in , on the last day my 6 year old son left his trainers to one side in the play area of the restuarant. He got them stolen !!! Oh my god i hear you say well if you do leave designer originals laying around that can happen.
I sigh and agree and say in return only this " i wonder if there will be a trend for Tesco childs trainer copies in Gumbet next year" :P

The only other major thing that we didnt like is on average around every 20 yards or so from the jasmin beach to about the ATM machine areas where there are 3 , 2 in glass boxes , is the smell of raw untreated sewage that regulary wafts around. Lovely eh

We eventually stayed around Jani Bar and Take away at the front of the hotel Turmen , great people there anyone going to Gumbet its worth a visit , became our "local"

We had a relaxing holiday despite these points and to be honest once we got used to it all it didnt affect us that much , having said that we will not return to Gumbet again and probably never to turkey again.

Anyway if you want to asky us anything feel free to do so

Thank you for listening( the prosecution rests) :D
Thank for your honesty daz -
Did your wife have the Turkish bath at the Jasmin Beach, or somewhere else? She must have felt quite vulnerable in that situation - not what you want on a relaxing holiday :shock: !
About the smell of sewage, I can't say I've ever noticed this, but I wonder if its maybe more at the Jasmin beach end of the bay because thats where the boats leave from?

Onwards and upwards eh? Where to next year do you think?

Elaine
well i dont know where to start....sami beach hotel ok location excellent,all the waiters etc are on commision for every drink or meal they sell so you can imagine the drive off them...had quite a good holiday overall to be fair.but there are to many things going against gumbet for my liking example my wife and mother in law walking uo the road about 100 yards in front of me and the father in law and 2 local men start hassling them<sexually>one grabbed my mother in laws bum<shes 60 for gods sake>when i shouted they soon run off im glad he did as i would have been very sorry for my actions.if you go into a shop and ask for a pair on sunglasses <for example> they will start start on 40 ytl expecting you to pay 20ytl<over 8 quid>and if you dont buy any thing they do try and abuse you,even the bloody flower sellers did try this.but the feeling i had this year every one was out to rip me off .i went for a shave, hair cut he tried to charge me 70 ytl ...would i go to gumbet again i ask my self and familly....no way i dont even think ill go back to turkey and to be honest if i went to gumbet as my first holiday in turkey i would never have gone back to turkey..sory for all the ardent turkey fans<as i was > but i think ill go to spain etc for a few years now as a lot of things in turkey are a LOT more expensive in turkey than back home,yes the portions are big but only so much any one can eat.but the drinks are very very expensive as was the whole place.so sorry gumbet thats my verdict sorry regard s andrew
Hi Elaine yes the turkish bath was at the Jasmin and no its not what you want for a relaxing holiday.

I smelt the sewage at a lot fo points in Gumbet itself if you know the walkway down the side of the cafe de columbia to the "beach" it was strong down there and also on the walk towards Bar street. Turn left at the Sami Plaza resturant and wald round and keep following the road.

first and last time in turkey for us too. As meeky says a lot of people just seem to want to rip you off as much as possible and hurl abuse at you if you "fight your corner"

We will probably go back to Bulgaria next year never had any of the problems we had this year in Bulgaria. But who knows we are looking at Crete as well.
Sounds like Gumbet wasn't up to scratch for you either Andrew -
did you find a favourite watering hole to sink a few with your father-in-law?

Elaine
oh dear !!
we are going to gumbet on the 12th sept, and i really wanted to go back to icmelar , what have i done ???
this is not good reading but having been to turkey 7 or 8 times now i am used to the way to say no etc and the hassel dosnt really bother me , BUT the abuse does , i had a bit last year in the bazzar in marmaris with my wif daughter and her boyfriend , becuse we would not buy the teeshirts,it put a damper on the night for a couple of hours.
Icmelar this june was no trouble at all and i had read earlier reviews about Gumbet been agressive , but ELAINES reports seemed to squash my worries ..... now this
kazibabes is just back too - maybe you could ask her what she thought of the hassle?
After all these years in Turkey, I just don't pay any attention to it anymore, it just washes over me. "No" and walk on has always worked, or "I'm going home tonight".
I have never been physically abused, that must have been an awful experience for meeky's mum-in-law.

I think its a real shame if shopkeepers etc are being so agressive, cos obviously it will put people off going back, and other holidaymakers won't shop there either (you see how many people view this forum).

Elaine
jackonews, I am sure you will have a wonderful holiday. We are just back from Gumbet and found it very similar to Altinkum - just on a bigger scale.

You can't please everyone, and if you read the majority of reviews in this forum, most people go back to Gumbet again and again.

Gumbet is that big that if one person has a bad experience in a bar, shop etc, it is very unlikely to happen to you. You will be amazed how many different bars and shops there are in Gumbet!

If I would have read the reviews about the apartment I stopped in, I would never have booked it! However, I didnt read up on it, and had a fab time!
lol Elaine, seems we were posting at the same time!

RE: hassel - not as 'in your face' as Altinkum (where we went last year), and if you say 'no thanks' they get the message and concerntrate on the next family walking by.

Turkey wouldnt be Turkey without the touting, its how they make their living. Haggling can be fun, but if you dont want to buy - dont look.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.