Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Kalkan
112 Posts
We too enjoyed our meal at the Barbaros. Very good menu and excellent decor. The other new restaurant mentioned, the Breeze, situated by the roundabout on the corner of Kalamar Road, was good and very reasonably priced. For anybody who missed Omar last year, he has re-opened by the harbour. The same name, Omar's Kitchen, and the same menu. He is literally using the same menus! Still a very good atmosphere at Omar's.
We went to Kalkan in 2004 and ate at a roof terrace restaurant right in the middle of the town that also had guest rooms, but for the life I can't remember what it was called. As far as I can remember it was on one of the steeper roads leading up from the harbour, possibly on a corner, and I think the downstairs bit had sofas and things to relax on. I know this describes the majority of restaurants in Kalkan but would be grateful for any names that anyone could give me!!
Hi bandit1, Your description fits that of the Hotel we've just returned from which is called Hotel Nur. This is located about 150 yards above the roundabouts and is very close to where the weekly Market is held. It has two swimming pools, one in the front and one up some steps to the rear. Does this jog any memories ??
Hi bandit1

I think you are describing The Old Trading Post. A rooftop restaurant with, I think, half a dozen rooms. You can find it in the Simply Turkey brochure.
Thanks Taxman, The Old Trading Place is the one I was thinking about. They've also got space in July, hmmmmmm........
Hi bandit1, You may have read my piece above, no hmmmmm about it. The saying is, DO IT !!!!!!!!!! It goes without saying that we would go back there like a shot, TOMORROW :glynis
.....and I am going back for two weeks the day after tomorrow!!!!!
.....and I am going back for two weeks the day after tomorrow!!!!!
Kalkan, sunshine, good food, lovely host, lovely town......................dammn...stillhave to wait 3 wks and 6 days before we are there :( :( :lol: :lol:
Just to confirm what I said on,"so, so quiet", Discussion. We found food prices were LESS than what we paid in Icmeler last September. It goes without saying that food quality was exceptionally high. The people were not aggressive in their attempts to get you into their establishments hence we made friends with a lot of them and it added to the enjoyment of our holiday. All the more reason for us to be wanting to return here in the future.
Returned at the beginning of this week after a lovely holiday in Kalkan followed by a gulet cruise. First time we've been and we can't recommend the place enough.

Our hotel was fantastic - Samira Hotel and Apartments which I've reviewed. We spent a lot of time there as the staff were great and the poolside was marvellous with very good quality sunbeds and comfy as anything bean bags in a shaded seating area, plus very good lunchtime menu.

Kalkan is such a pretty resort and the steepness of it only makes it more charming. Everywhere there is an abundance of flowers and plants and with the cobbled streets going up hills and the traditional old buildings with rooftop terrace restaurants just make it a dream of an old style resort.

I know some people are dismayed about the abundance of villas and apartments stretching up the hill, but this doesn't take anything away from the town centre or the harbour. Friendly people, excellent food and shops which are quaint and of the main, tat free.

We ate at Bospherous, which was the restaurant attached to the Samira (the guys who work the pool and bar areas during the day change into posher attire and reposition themselves to the restaurant in the evening) on 3 occasions, for one it was wonderful and watching the chefs prepare everything was great fun, for another we were working around some footie matches and this gave us a convenience factor (hey I like the cobbled hilly streets but sometimes staying put was just fine).

We also ate at Belgin's kitchen which is traditional turkish with low tables and cushions to sit on, atmosphere delightful and food plentiful and good.

Kosk restaurant was also fabulous - the food divine and the service really impeccable. Quite posh but friendly nonetheless.

The other one was Kaptan on the harbour front where we had some delicious fish dishes and were joined by 3 cats and a dog (not everyone's idea of a good meal perhaps but hey!).

We didn't have chance to get to any more of the recommended eateries, perhaps we should have strayed from the hotel more, but ah well - there will be other times!

We had a turkish bath at the Rapsody Hotel which was fab and we were picked up and dropped off in a car. We also visited the new Palm Beach club which has been made with decking suspended from the cliffs with a nice restaurant and extra seating areas and superclean facilities too. Staff there incredibly attentive as ever.

The only other trip we did was jeep safari which was great and took us to Xanthos, Saklikent Gorge, a carpet factory (yawn!) and Patara beach way along the quiet end where turks like to go. Wonderful day and packs a lot of interesting (bar the carpets, sorry I know it's traditional and they work very hard but 1.5 hours of it too much!) stuff into just a one day trip.

I highly recommend Kalkan, and one week wasn't enough for us to see and do everything but then we had a boat to catch so we didn't mind!

Oh one word though - new cashpoint under the Samira hotel didn't work and neither did the one at the bank down the road. And left weird smudges on my partner's credit card which perturbed us a bit. I don't know how normal an occurence it is for the ATMs to break down as we only tried the once. Cash is the way to go but if you take travellers cheques it's competitive enough for them not to charge commission, they weren't at our hotel anyway.

Prices, well we didn't find it expensive. We paid no more than £30 for a meal for two and that was the whole caboodle. We were stuffed every night. I spent less there in a week self catering than I did in a week half board in Ovacik/Hisaronou last year. That's probably a lot to do with exchange rates I will grant you but I'd say Turkey is still a great value holiday.
Hi SandC, I've just re-read your excellent report, it simply confirms everything I said. I don't know why I didn't respond sooner, perhaps I was busy elsewhere !!
Hi, we are going to Kalkan on the 4th Sept staying at Patara Prince Resort.
Could anyone recommend a nice restaurant to celebrate our 1st wedding
aniversary.
Hi gerryh, We stayed at the Hotel Nur in Kalkan and it has got a roof terrace Restaurant called Barbaros, it has a lovely view over the harbour and bay. A perfect setting for a romantic meal. It is located just above the town, near where the weekly Market is held. There is also Bosphorus, be warned, saturday night it has a Turkish Night and so any other night will guarantee you an intimate meal. Again, this is located just above the town but not as far out as Barbaros, perhaps 200 yards less distance. Hope you both have a fantastic time, we did !!
Gerryh

Can thoroughly recommend either the Olive Garden or Kosk.
I would also recommend the Kosk. It's quite formal, but not expensive. Another good restaurant is Coast. This is less formal, but the food is lovely. You may have to book this one. You'll have trouble finding a bad restaurant in Kalkan!
Thanks for your suggestions.
For those of you who have stayed at this hotel or maybe curious about staying here in the future, it now has its own web page which is:- http://www.nur-hotel.com It is certainly well worth paying a visit.
Very good site Cruisecontroller. We stayed at the Nur in 2003 when we bought our villa, which is just up the road from the Nur. We're going to Kalkan on 23rd April for 5 weeks. If we're there in September, and we usually are, we'll call in the Nur and say hello!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.