Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I expect that you will get all of the information you require regarding the Dolmus from the hotel. They probably also run a courtesy bus.

The dolmus does ,on occasion, get very full. They will stop anywhere to let people on or off.

There are various ways to get the driver to stop where you want to get off.

The easiest,and the drivers will understand, are; stop please! or yes please !

In Turkish the two phrases used are, Musait bir yerde( convenient place please) and inecek var (one to get off).

If the the dolmus is too full for you to be able to give the fare to the driver just give a polite tap and say Pardon to the person in front of you indicate how many people you are paying for and pass the cash. Any change will be passed back to you. Or, you can pay the driver when you get off.
The dolmus buses are minibuses and are both cheap and regular. They do really pack them in when they're busy but it all adds to the cultural experience for me.
Although travelling on them seems very informal (get on or off where you want), they are actually very well run, and have strict timetables which they always seem to keep to. There will probably be a central point in Fethiye where you can get them and the times will be on a board there so you'll be able to see what times the later ones are for the return.
they run up to around midnight to a timetable there are plenty even on the not so common routes, as alfie said earlier these are now run strickly to govement regulations and fares not how it used to be when you could have as many hanging on the outside as inside ,those good old days are gone
but don't panic taxis arn't to expensive haggle a price before
Its not near the centre of Fetiye, in fact its a 30 - 40 minute Dolmus away (cost about £3 return). Not sure how much it would be in a taxi as we only ventured over there once on the Dolmus.
:sun2
Maverick, I think you slightly misunderstood, what I meant was if the poster gets a dolmus from their accommodation into the centre of Fethiye, then once there they should be able to check times for their return later.
sorry alfie i read it slightly wrong but they are both right lol :sun2
Thank you everyone!!!

Very informative! Only 29 days to go :tup

x :cheers
you haven't truly been to turkey if you haven't sampled the delights of a dolmus.
we've been to turkey 3 times and are going again this year and have always found the dolmus to be a convenient and cheap way to get around. yes they squash you on but hey take it as an adventure.

i'm sure we'll be hopping on and off many times in the summer.......and don't worry about there being a sweaty bloke squashed next to you because i can guarantee they'll be on the dolmus next to me !!! hee hee

happy holidays

Sandra
:wave: :wave: :wave:
Thanks for all your posts. Sounds fab. I love getting out and about in the country I am visiting and this sounds a perfect way to see how the locals live. FAB.

Sorry to go onto a different topic - but how safe is turkey? In terms of walking around with your bag with a few lira in it and a camera etc. Is it safe enough to have it in a backpack or a pocket or is there a need for a under t shirt wallet hidden. I ask as we usually do this when we go to markets etc.
Walking at nights etc is it safe?

x
scottishtraveller wrote:
Thanks for all your posts. Sounds fab. I love getting out and about in the country I am visiting and this sounds a perfect way to see how the locals live. FAB.

Sorry to go onto a different topic - but how safe is turkey? In terms of walking around with your bag with a few lira in it and a camera etc. Is it safe enough to have it in a backpack or a pocket or is there a need for a under t shirt wallet hidden. I ask as we usually do this when we go to markets etc.
Walking at nights etc is it safe?

x

Take all the usual precautions that you would anywhere else on holiday, but to be honest, I feel safer walking around in Turkey, even at night, than I have almost anywhere else. Of course you should keep your wits about you when you're carrying cash or valuable, just as you should do anywhere, but generally speaking, I've found Turkey to be a very safe place.
i would have to agree with all that blondiescot has said :sun2
Also agree. The penalties are harsh for offenders, so consequently the crime rate is pretty low.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.