Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Re: Dreamliner
202 Posts
Can they deliver planes when they are subject to an airworthiness directive?

My understanding is that because it has been issued with one that they are effectively grounded until the fault is fixed.
Helenllama wrote:
Can they deliver planes when they are subject to an airworthiness directive?

My understanding is that because it has been issued with one that they are effectively grounded until the fault is fixed.

Thomsons first Dreamliner hasn't even undergone any pre delivery flight tests yet, as far as I am aware.
Lets face facts unless they sort this issue out soonish then we aint gonna be flying on the Dreamliner in may :cry

Pretty gutted, saved for a year for this holiday.
i just read air india are flying two of their dreamliners today.
I believe all of the planes are still grounded.
nooooobs....... I am so keeping my fingers crossed they sort these problems out safely sooner rather than later. I am waiting to see what happens regarding people booking their seats 90 days prior ...... it cannot be long until the first flights in May have to select their seats :think .
I totally agree with you I also have saved for my holiday/flight on dreamliner for over a year, I will be a tad disappointed if I dont fly dreamliner but as long as we get there safely i dont mind.
When we booked it was the day they released the new dreamliner flights and it was 65 weeks until we went, it is now only 25 weeks until we go and I dont feel excited at the moment just anxious about it all as I am a recovering nervous flyer.
But my biggest worry is that there are less seats on the 767 than the 787 so wondering what happens if they have to substitute planes :que
jhe wrote:
i just read air india are flying two of their dreamliners today.

They're all grounded so how can they fly them? Maybe the DGCA has given them the ok to fly? They did say a few days ago they were grounded until at least 17 February.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/air-india-dreamliner-fleet-grounded-till-february-17-india-today/1/247750.html

They've put all theirs up for sale and leaseback.
dinner-lady wrote:
nooooobs....... I am so keeping my fingers crossed they sort these problems out safely sooner rather than later. I am waiting to see what happens regarding people booking their seats 90 days prior ...... it cannot be long until the first flights in May have to select their seats :think .
I totally agree with you I also have saved for my holiday/flight on dreamliner for over a year, I will be a tad disappointed if I dont fly dreamliner but as long as we get there safely i dont mind.
When we booked it was the day they released the new dreamliner flights and it was 65 weeks until we went, it is now only 25 weeks until we go and I dont feel excited at the moment just anxious about it all as I am a recovering nervous flyer.
But my biggest worry is that there are less seats on the 767 than the 787 so wondering what happens if they have to substitute planes :que

Well there is talk of some kind of a fix on the batteries but I'm not sure if its true or just Chinese whisper. According to thomsons Facebook they are still expecting them. It's less than 16 weeks until we fly and can book our seats this month I think so it will be interesting to see.

Also a question for Darren... What is likely to happen if the 767's get used but there are more passengers than will fit on them? Will they ask passengers to change dates? Or possibly re arrange them to fit more seats? The short haul 767's have enough seats don't they? Would they consider using them? I hope not
noooooobs when you do get to pre-book the seats please let us know, I'd be interested too - don't forget it's usually 90 on the return journey not outward - and I have not seen a seat plan yet for Thomson on the 787 so be interested to see
The NTSB issued a press release yesterday and they are still investigating. They've not found what's causing the problem yet,
Miss Pink wrote:
noooooobs when you do get to pre-book the seats please let us know, I'd be interested too - don't forget it's usually 90 on the return journey not outward - and I have not seen a seat plan yet for Thomson on the 787 so be interested to see

Darren has put link to the layout on the What Aircraft thread.
Oh Thanks I will go and have a looksee
Looks like the Dreamliner will not be flying before March and then with only a temporary fix, However, Boeing are looking for a dispensation from the FAA to do some test flights later this month,
http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2013/02/boeing-plans-battery-redesign-to-get-dreamliners-airbone-again/
Looks like more delays Sky News reporting that Boeing are saying delays now.
Big rethink at Thomson Airways looks as though it is on the cards to get Holiday makers away.
Latest information from Thomson Airways regarding the 787-8 deliveries;

"Thomson Airways has not yet been given a new delivery date for its first 787 Dreamliner by Boeing. Our priority is to ensure our customers go on their holidays and we are, therefore, putting contingency plans in place including using alternative aircraft for our long-haul flights to Mexico and Florida if delivery is delayed beyond the end of March. Boeing is doing everything it can to resolve the situation. We appreciate that there are many customers who are looking forward to flying on the Dreamliner but unfortunately these circumstances are out of our control. Once we have finalised our contingency plans we will contact customers whose flights may be affected."

Darren
Latest information from Thomson Airways regarding the 787-8 deliveries;

"Thomson Airways has not yet been given a new delivery date for its first 787 Dreamliner by Boeing. Our priority is to ensure our customers go on their holidays and we are, therefore, putting contingency plans in place including using alternative aircraft for our long-haul flights to Mexico and Florida if delivery is delayed beyond the end of March. Boeing is doing everything it can to resolve the situation. We appreciate that there are many customers who are looking forward to flying on the Dreamliner but unfortunately these circumstances are out of our control. Once we have finalised our contingency plans we will contact customers whose flights may be affected."

Darren
Here's the link to the seat plan - if I'm allowed to post it :)
The seat plan is linked from our What Aircraft? guide (link below). The link you pasted is from my Photobucket account where I added it months ago for here! Dazbo HT Mod
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.