Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Re: Dreamliner
202 Posts
Hi bugalug,

Are you referring to the seat plan showing no seat numbers?

Regards,
Pat
Airbus are going to use CadNi on the A350 after watching the B787s problems.This will probably mean that Boeing will use the old CadNi batteries instead of the troubled LiOn ones.
It has been suggested that this could take months, it doesn't say how many, so I hope the 767s will last a bit longer.
According to an article in "The Denver Post" it looks as if the earliest the 787 will be operating passenger flights is May, This is with the interim fix and there seems to be some doubt as to whether they will get FAA approval as it is only designed to contain a battery fire, not to prevent it,

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_22618100/boing-offers-workaround-lithium-ion-battery-get-787?source=rss

Apparently LOT have now decided to delay the introduction of the 787 until the end of the summer; they are using 767's to cover for the summer. I imagine after their recent experience they want to wait for the full fix to be implemented.

http://www.wbj.pl/article-61917-dreamliners-becoming-a-nightmare-for-lot.html
Landed back in Doha from Cairo yesterday pm (on a nice new A330-300) to see 4 Qatar Dreamliner's parked in a nice row not a good sight.
End of May could be ambitious if all have to be re-certified???
Can someone help me here please if possible.

I tried to find a holiday to Cancun today from Manchester. I was told by the Thomson sales rep that the flight in early October, 14 nights (Friday) would NOT be on the Dreamliner,yet looking at Thomsons own schedual it seems the Dreamliner WILL be used on FRIDAYS and MONDAYS for all 7/14/& 21 day holidays - MAY3 to OCTOBER 25th ?

Can anyone confirm either way please ?

:que
They can't confirm that it will be a Dreamliner as they are all grounded due to a battery fault at the moment and Thomson haven't even received theirs yet from Boeing. Once deliveries start over again, Thomson, when they get them, will need to use the Dreamliner on some shorter routes for a period in order to give the crew adequate training.

There is no date fixed as of yet.
Yeh I heard about that.

Just double checked, the flight is deffo NOT Dreamliner.

:cheers
Mustafaholiday,

Latest information is posted on the Thomson Airways topic as and when we get it. The first 787-8 was supposed to be delivered last week, the second next week. Information I'm getting from within Thomson is suggesting it'll be several months before they enter the fleet, maybe even the start of the winter season but as Baz mentions, Boeing can't give a date as yet as they're still waiting on a fix. This is not Thomson Airways fault and they can't give any answers as they don't know themselves yet. Does it make a difference if the flight is operated by a 787-8 or 767? Surely it's the holiday that matters and not the aircraft that takes you there?

Darren
Dazbo HT Mod wrote:
Mustafaholiday,

Latest information is posted on the Thomson Airways topic as and when we get it. The first 787-8 was supposed to be delivered last week, the second next week. Information I'm getting from within Thomson is suggesting it'll be several months before they enter the fleet, maybe even the start of the winter season but as Baz mentions, Boeing can't give a date as yet as they're still waiting on a fix. This is not Thomson Airways fault and they can't give any answers as they don't know themselves yet. Does it make a difference if the flight is operated by a 787-8 or 767? Surely it's the holiday that matters and not the aircraft that takes you there?

Darren

Dont jump the gun here folks. Only reason I wanted this info about this new aircraft scheduel was to actually find out about possible medical seats on the Dreamliner for the missus who has now had hip replacement surgery. This new aircraft looks amazing,but it is what it is at the minute and quite frankly if that means going on the old 767s so be it.

Thanks again.
A pilot who flys planes from EMA (whom we know) has said the new Dreamliner wont be ready until at least June this year.... still got a fault.
It might be June next year the way they are going.
You can keep updated with the correct news about the 787 Dreamliner from Boeing here http://787updates.newairplane.com/
looks as though they are starting to solve the battery problems according to boeings website
jackmax,

I've already posted the links on the Thomson Airways topic. A step in the right direction is seems though.

Darren
Apparently some Thomson staff are suggesting that some destination airports eg El Catey in DR, will be dropped when Dreamliner finally comes into service because.........they claim that it needs a longer runway than the 767s -I presume that is the usual Call centre b*******ks??
brewerdave,

They don't currently fly in to Samana anyway (some fligts later in the year, and odd cruise charters from time to time) so it's not going to make any difference at the moment. Samana was dropped a while back with the few passengers going their having a 3.5 hour drive from Puerto Plata (I did it last year!). The 787-8 has similar take-off performace to the 763 so I think they're using this as an excuse really. Samana has a 3,000m x 45m runway so if that's being dropped due to performance issues, you can forget about many UK airports where it's set to fly from (albeit usually colder)! The runway at Samana is certified for Boeing 747-400's just to put that in to context. While the 787-8 is a larger aircraft than the 763, take-off performance depends on several factors including weather, particularly temperature, fuel, passenger and cargo load (ie weight), available runway distance etc so it's a complex calculation but I suspect someones just using that as an excuse for not flying in to some airports they used to. Lack of demand is the real issue.

Darren
There are flights bookable to Samana in October, was looking for school half term week and just checked now - from LGW Thursday at 1150.
rhodgreen -yes,this yearThomson are flying direct for the "Summer" season into El Catey from early May until late October. The info referred to holidays booked in Summer 2014 and no direct flights.

Dazbo -thanks for confirming my suspicions. :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.