Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Re: Dreamliner
202 Posts
Hi all, I have booked to travel on the dreamliner this august to mexico and have read as much as i can about it, given the flight time has been previously roughly 10.5 hours, will the dreamliner make it in better time ?
Also, I realise that these boeings have been having some problems which I'm sure will be rectified before first long haul flights in may, but if you have a look at thomson's facebook page it seems to be a bit of mass hysteria over the safety aspect :que , seriousley, people booked on the may flights are wanting to change planes already ( at thomsons expense, obviously !) why oh why so much panic over this ? beyond me !
Anyhoo, I firmly believe that if the plane is fit for the pilot and cabin crew, well, thats dandy by me !! get me to mexico !!!
juby 5,

The 787 cruises at roughtly the same speed as the 767's so flight times will be pretty much the same and governed by weather and routing.

Darren
Juby 5

UK-Cancun on the Dreamliner will save around 45 minutes compared to the 767, apart from the 747 it is one of the fastest flying aircraft around(commercial)
The flight times in Thomson Brochure for pre-Dreamliner is 11hours and then after May it shows the Dreamliner flights the same as 11 hours :que
Miss Pink,

The typical cruising speed of the 787-8 is 490kn, the 767-300/ER 460kn so there's a 30kn difference. On a 10 hour flight, that equates to approximately 35 minutes difference in flight time. It comes down to weather too, ie head or tailwind component, ATC and the elected speed from the airline for economy reasons so there won't be much of a difference in reality. Bear in mind not all flights to Cancun will be operated by the 787-8 from May, so the time has probably been kept at 11 hours until all flights are operated by it. It's not like when Concorde was still around and you could do London to New York in 40% of the time of a regular subsonic aircraft!

Darren
Thanks Darren, I never had the opporunity of flying on Concorde
thanks for the info on the flight length guys, canna wait till august !!
Juby where are you staying in Mexico I am going on June/July
Flight times will depend on the cruise speed that Thomson elect to fly the B787 They may decide, for reasons of economy, to fly it at a speed close to that of the B767. The A330 is capable of a similar max speed to that of the Dreamliner but is commonly flown at speeds close to that of the B767 (0.80mach). I shouldn't hold your breath for too much of a reduction in flight times
Hi miss pink, we are staying at the riu yucatan, we arrive just a week after it's due to re-open after refurb ( fingers crossed it all done !)
just had a look Juby looks lovely - I have been at various Riu's and staying at a Rui in Mexico I had not yet (touching wood) been disappointed, I hope you enjoy it.
TOM publish 787 Dreamliner programme for W13/14

LGW - BGI,CUN,HOL,MLE,MBA,HKT,POP,PUJ
MAN - CUN,PUJ
NCL - CUN

Hopefully more routes to follow.
Thomson Holidays are showing the Dreamliner from MAN/BGI winter 13/14.
ANA & JAL ground all 787 dreamliners after emergency landing for ANA with smoke in the flight deck .
Blimey,what next !

Starting to have second thoughts about me and my family flying on this new aircraft now.

:think
Have to say I wouldn't be too happy taking one of the first flights. It doesn't sound great does it?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.