Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I hope the Thomson 787s perform better than some of the earlier deliveries, such as the LOT ones.
Qman,

All new types whether cars or aircraft have teathing troubles, it's nothing that wasn't expected. I'm sure Boeing will get them resolved.

Darren
Yes Darren, but they seem to be getting more problems than other new planes such as the 777.
I read that G TUIA has got it's GE engines fitted. As a Derby chap I wish they had bought RRs.
Have you any idea when the first flight of TUIA is? I would like a trip on her some day. I had one of the first trips in OOOA a RR powered 757 on good old Air 2000.
I love the 757, I just wish there was a bit more legroom!
Qman,

The 777 is a different generation of aircraft although some of the issues reported with the 787 do seem odd. Just as an example, I've just found that my new car, just gone 12 months old, and delivered about 6 months after the model introduction, has sprung a leak that has been traced to a manufacturing issue with a seal. These things happens in new models. Look at the A380. They'll get it right as production goes on. G-TUIA should be on the flight line later this month. It's due in service on 15th Feb 2013 on selected short haul flights until April, then long haul from May. The other in-service dates are here.

The RB211 powered 752's are quite fun, a proper sports car of the air and look pretty good in the Thomson Dreamliner liver.

Darren
well booked my seats this morning on the dreamliner off to dominican republic for xmas....
madasharley wrote:
well booked my seats this morning on the dreamliner off to dominican republic for xmas....

:tup
Madsharley is that with Thomson I thought at the moment they were only flying to Mexico and Florida?
Miss Pink wrote:
Madsharley is that with Thomson I thought at the moment they were only flying to Mexico and Florida?

They are for the summer season, but the Dreamliner takes on more routes for the winter season,
yes with thompson sunaddict is correct from sept they will also be going to dom rep cuba and ibelieve jamaica
Further routes are introduced as more aircraft are delivered, replacing the outgoing 767's. I've also heard TOM's first 787 (G-TUIA) will now be delivered slightly later than planned with G-TUIB (their second) due before the first.

Darren
Boeing are not having much luck with this plane smoke in the cockpit at Logan Airport?? Qatar/United groundings?? Not a good start.
qatarman,

As mentioned before, ALL new models have issues following introduction. Although it appears some of the glitches are serious, it's nothing out of the ordinary. You'll find you can add JAL and LOT to your list as well. I'm sure Boeing will get them sorted.

Darren
I hope so Darren or there are going to be a lot of disappointed Thomson Fly customers.
I will of course be disappointed if it's not this year but WILL go some time without a doubt
Is this "smoke in the cockpit" the same incident as this below?

I've had to remove your post due to copyright issues. We can't allow direct cut / paste of articles on to the forum I'm afraid unless there is permission from the copyright holder. By all means provide a link to the article though. Thanks, Dazbo HT Mod

They seem to be related issues, yes. It was a little more than smoke in the cockpit (having seen photos of the incident), the article was actually misleading in that resspect. It is thought to have been an electrical issue in the avionics bay that caused the smoke.

Darren
I guess I will fly on a 787 Dreamliner one day.
But I’m going to deliberately delay booking a flight on one until they get the apparently huge number of bugs out of this thing. I really do not want to see an aircraft fire first hand or any of the other nasties that seem to afflict this plane.
I get to fly on my first A380 next month and I’m looking forward to that – I know it had bugs also during initial months – but nothing like the ghastly history of the 787 development and roll-out.
AND – while I will reserve final judgement until I actually sit on one of Thomsons much hyped Dreamliners, I still do currently believe we are all being tricked.
The lovely (though rather elderly) First Choice 767 planes we have all been taking Thomson holidays longhaul holidays on for many years now, actually are ROOMIER width wise than the new 787s on a per passenger basis.
If one does the sums, because Thomson have now squeezed in 9 seats across the cabin instead of the previous 7 seat in the 767’s – and the 787 is only very slightly wider
– then the actual overall number of inches width per passenger is REDUCED by more than 10%.
My calculations are based on the widest part of the plane in economy.
They do not tell you that in the adverts!
Sorry, but I’m the little boy in the nursery story who points out that the King is not wearing any clothes!
well said UKbill, I am looking forward to flying in the new Dreamliner but as your good self will be reserving judgement as to which one I prefer, will be travelling by 767 in early March to the Maldives, the 787's are not due to fly that route until 2014.

Happy Hols
cyprus100 wrote:
Is this "smoke in the cockpit" the same incident as this below?

I've had to remove your post due to copyight issues. We can't allow direct cut / paste of articles on to the forum I'm afraid unless there is permission from the copyright holder. By all means provide a link to the article though. Thanks, Dazbo HT Mod

They seem to be related issues, yes. It was a little more than smoke in the cockpit (having seen photos of the incident), the article was actually misleading in that resspect. It is thought to have been an electrical issue in the avionics bay that caused the smoke.

Darren

It wasn't an article I pasted Darren, it was information from another forum I visit.... But I googled it and you can find the link here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20942484
Thanks cyprus100. Regardless of the source, we can't reproduce things here unless permission is granted from the copyright owner. Links are better.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.