Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
dress code
18 Posts
I'm the same age as you, I usually wear crop trousers (full length ones tend to get stained with dust) and tops, sometimes a dress depending on how many mozzies I think are about.
Certainly not formal wear.

Take flat sanadals, there are no pavements.
I don't take any footwear that can't be scubbed clean when I get home.
Lots of people wear simple flip-flops or crocs.
You can buy jewelled flip-flops and moc-crocs in resort.
tar 4 that better put my 5ins heels away only joking
Hello Dot and :welcome to the forum Like PPC just wear things like a light dress 3/4 lths trousers and some nice tops and dressy shorts :rofl and forget about your hair it will never sit for more than 5 mins Will this be the first time you go to Goa Dot .....colleen
hi colleen tar 4 ye message ye it is the first time hope we wont be dissappointed used 2going 2 spain and turkey
Hi dotsheff, can I ask that you do not post in phone style text please. Some of our members have impaired vision and use a machine to read, so it makes it difficult for them to read.

Thanks.

kath
hi kath thank you for your message i will remember this when i am writing ... dot
Hi Dot I presume you are from Sheffield like myself. You will not be disappointed GOA is a thousand times better than Spain and Turkey.Kev
And you will get by on a lot less money in Goa Dot ...£300 to £400 for the 2 weeks should do you ok colleen
pleased about that colleen.thats why we chose goa with the euro being so low thank you for all your information you are sending.dot
You will love it dot. and it will be a damn site warmer than the foot of snow we've had down our way today ;)

It may be a culture shock when you first arrive, most people are a bit unsure and i admit my first reaction was oh my god!!!!

On my first visit i had been in goa 2 days when a family arrived from manchester. The husband told me his wife hated it at first sight and wanted to go home and he wasnt that impressed. We were staying at the sunset beach and i told him after breakfast to take his wife and daughter down the road to the beach and i would see them in the evening.

That night they all walked up to me with that daft grin that everyone has after the shock goes and you realise what an amazing place it is. The views the smells the people and the food just hit you and you are blown away. :sun2
You will love it,i havn't met anybody yet who doesn,t want to go back.It is abit of a culture shock at first,i remember the 1st time we went,we had heard about the beach shacks and the wonderful food they served,coming in from the airport you will pass little local dwellings with bits of alsorts for roofs,my husband was very quiet(the taxi can be a hairy experience)i thought maybe thats what was wrong,but as soon as we got into the hotel,he said i,m not eating in one of those shacks,well i :rofl i had found this forum and was a lot better informed than him.Enjoy
Manxcat
Make sure you reserve wednesday night for a coffee at the Carvery.
:D :D
welcome to the forum Dot :) like everyone says i am sure you will end up falling in love with it here in Goa and returning again and again .... try and read as much as you can on this forum as it is a goldmine of info for 1st timers ... :think well for old timers too actually....I still get useful info here even after so many years of 1st coming on holiday and now living here!!

Have a great holiday...and like samtheboater says come along to one of the HT meets if you fancy it on a wednesday night at the carvery its a good laugh!! :tup see the thread about it

chilly
thank you for your message there is one or two more questions.is it best to bring travellers cheques?and do they exept english money.i know we cannot bring ruppees into the country.but a taxi is picking us up and we were wondering what to tip the driver in.i have also noticed that we need to print off these forms something to do with swine flu is that correct.dot
Dunno about forms for Swine Flu. When we went in November, they just herded us past a temperature detector at Dabolim airport.

If you stick to approx 10% for any tipping you won't go far wrong normally for meals etc, but I would not normally bother with much of a tip for Taxi's as you negotiate a price with them for the journey. Having said that I often round the price up to the nearest Rs/-100. Remember the cost of living is much lower, so what doesn't seem much to us is a weeks wages for some. Thats why 10% is good I think.

I am there again in Feb with my OH and my sister and her hubby. Where in Candolim are you staying?

Just keep an open mind and relax into the slow way of life there. It is a lovely place and not as impoversished as many other parts of India. Don't give to beggars, particularly children, it just encourages them to stay away from school to earn money from tourists.The only beggars I will give to are genuine physicaly disabled.
If you see any animals in distress or iill or injured please take the time to phone the Animal Rescue Centre Goa. I know beach and stray dogs can be a nuisance to some at times, but they are only fed tit-bits in the tourist season. Out of season they are shunned as vermin and left to scavenge. The AR place neuters and speys stray animals, which can only be for the best.

Remember, friendly as everyone is, they are out to make a living and will try to part you from your cash. Haggle, but don't try to cheat them and NEVER say 'maybe tomorrow' or 'later', as they don't forget, and once you have said a price and they agree, then buy the item.Don't go back on your word.

I too go to Turkey, Egypt etc, but IMO Goa is by far the better place to holiday. Dirty, noisy, smelly- but magical. Enjoy.
Dot I was there in November flew with thomsons, they gave out the swine flu forms on board the aircraft. We are going back on 1st Feb staying in Nagoa. We have stayed in Candolim for about the last 18 yrs in different hotels but now have our own apartment in Nagoa. Kevin.
thank you for all the infomation and i will report any animal i see who i think needs help i hope i dont see any becauce i start fretting about them but every were we have been we have seen something we get upset about.dot
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.