Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I also had this last year in my cocktails,fruit juice ice and very little if any spirits,in the end i just drank wine,at least that cant be watered down with fruit juice.We always had a few shots before we went out at nights and carried a bottle of orange fanta with us,with the odd vodka in of course :cheers
I also had this problem last year, but it was mainly at the bar at our appartments... I only had to complain twice, and after this i think they knew that i wasnt going to be ripped off with my vodka, I think people need to be wary of this.... good post! :tup
It may be a fairly expected reaction to a hike in taxes in alcohol as part of new laws/policy?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/16/turkey.islam
http://articles.latimes.com/2005/dec/10/world/fg-turkey10

If the taxes have gone up, and I ran a bar, then my measures may well go down if there's no legislation on measures. "Ripped off" is a bit of a subjective term. Obviously if there's no alcohol, then that's the case, but if there's an expectation to be delivered huge slugs of spirit in a climate of soaring taxes/price of wholesale spirits, then I'd expect the measures to reduce.

Not much difference to todays latest huge hike in gas prices to me - it's passed on to the customer by the suppliers.
they are ripping off.... they also add phantom drinks to the bill,especially with kids.... check your bills and your drinks and report then to the zabita. A 3 day closure brings them to their senses!
phoebe... the law applies to places selling alcohol without a license, a practise rife in Turkey. all the bars/restaurants have a license but still sell illegally, especially foreign imports which are expensive here.
i always stick to bottles of efes - cant go wrong with them ;)
I had the same trouble this year with vodka measures, especially in the apartments on happy hour. You also get short changed in some places as they use smaller glasses, I always ask for one of the highball glasses like the Istanblue ones as you tend to get a better measure. On a night out down the beach front two of my friends got a fishbowl and all they could taste was fruit juice so they complained and the barman whacked so much raki in it they were both obliterated within the hour! :rofl

As someone has previously said the taxes have gone up and this has to get passed on somewhere but not all places are rip off joints, I know of a few regular bars I go to in Armutalan where I can still get a freehand poured proper Turkish measure! :cheers
I know quite a few people who take duty free spirits over for bar/restaurant owners. They then sell it at a higher price because it's imported, do they not have the same laws as here regarding customs and excise?
Also have to agree with this post,might as well buy cola,I must have had about 5 brandy and colas one night,NO Difference!!!!!!!!!!!.most of the places are ripping us off,they must be laughing at us!!!!!.b
I certainly class it as being "ripped off" when i ask for 3 cokes and a vodka and coke, then not be able to tell the difference...only to be told..."ahh sorry forgot to put vodka in"... they never forget to add it to the bill though! :think

at least when you "pull" them about this, they do put a good measure in, its alway best to be on your gaurd... after all, why pay for something your not having!
Why not order your spirit (s) and mixers seperatly ? at least you can see whats in the glass,then pour your own... ;)
well was in aussie bar last night and we always sit on stools at the bar (barmen fascınate me makıng the cocktaıls lol!!) - anyways ı was watchıng all nıght and they were certaınly NOT skımpıng on the the measures! The one fısh bowl lıterally half a bottle of vodka in it!

having my bırthday party ın there sunday nıght so ı wıll havıng me one of them!!
We were also ripped off a couple of times with the bill,so i mark on a peice of paper how much weve had during the night and compare the prices against the bill,now if we re charged too much we bring it to their attention,and sorry we must have made a mistake :duh
:haha always in albatross bar in marmaris never get ripped in there always good measures :tongue big al the pipe man :omg
Im going out to Marmaris soon and don't know where to avoid! Could anyone list or pm me
any bars to avoid that are ripping people off. thanks
This is well out of order!! :banghead: I would report them to the tourist police coz this sort of thing is taking the the :swear out of us! I hate rip off merchants specially when they act all chummy while they're thieving off you coz thats wat it boils down to!

gb
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.