Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
thanks lynn,
i had a look at efteling website and your right it is quite far from the west coast...
still may be worth a look, if we can tear the kids away from the theme parc and pools etc...
:yuck
mr b
We're thinking of booking a family holiday to Wassenaar in September. Our boys are 9, 7 and 5 and the key camp brochure says this site is recommended for families with older children. Does anyone know if its suitable for 3 young, active boys? Also, will places still be open mid-September?
Hi Floobsie,
When we went our daughter was 6 1/2 - there was loads to keep her occupied - and we took her bike for the quieter moments when the kids tend to make friends and play around the caravans. Just see my earlier note about the playground - as that doesn't get locked until late and keeps them busy.
We've just booked direct with Duinrell - the prices looked OK but rather than the usual caravans, they had 'Duingalows' - these look more interesting - larger & better facilities (even a toaster and dishwasher) and you can choose which part of the park you go to.

We've not been there before, but have been through Scheveningen a few times (great Indian reastaurant last time we were there) and had promised ourselves a beach holiday in the Netherlands. We've done all the 'original' Center Parcs in NL & 1 in Belgium, so this will be interesting to compare.

As for transport, we're going over on the Sunday afternoon for a Monday booking and staying at the SuiteHotel in Calais overnight. We'll drive up round Brugge & then stick to the coast, taking the short ferry to Vlissingen and then over the Delta project sea dykes - with an interesting visitor centre half way through.

Rather annoyingly I'm playing at a festival in Belgium the previous week, so have to drive all the way back to Gloucestershire on the Wednesday (with other musicians in the car), & pick up family to go back on Sunday. Hi ho.[/b]
Hi
Just come back from Duinrell. We stayed with Eurocamp via Sun Holidays. We had a lovely time. If you are taking children then you will find it hard to pull them away from the site. We only tried the food places on the first night and we found the burgers in the one eatery were dry as if they had been made two hours ago. That put us off using them again. The Irish bar was very quiet when we went so as it was just the two of us we went into Wassenaar for the rest of the time.

Wassenaar is just a short walk (about 5-10 minutes) and well worth walking to. Broeders bar is good. Watch out for the bikes they have more of a right of way then cars or people. Anything stronger then wine you have to buy from the two liquor stores in Wassenaar.

Amsterdam - we went to Amsterdam via the park and ride scheme which was reccommended by the reps and I can honestly say its the way to go to Amsterdam. Literature is available in English from the Eurocamp reps. You drive to Sloterdijk park and ride (clearly signposted) Park your car in the secured parking lot then go to the supervisor. He will give you a parking ticket and two (maximum) transport tickets (I presume you have to pay for any more people which shouldnt be much) You then get the train bus metro tram (which ever you fancy they are all within 3 minutes walking distance) When you arrive at Amsterdam Central there are yellow machines at the bottom of the escalators in the station. put your tickets in the machine face up with the blank bar going into the machine first. This will stamp your tickets(you must do this - proof that you have used the facilities to get to Amsterdam central) Now you can relax and enjoy Amsterdam. When you return go to the supervisor with the STAMPED tickets and original parking ticket. You then just pay 5.50 euros for the two tickets (about £4) Extremely good value for money.

Hope you have a lovely holiday. We certainly did

When we can afford it we will be coming back with the family
We've just come back from Duinrell.

Halfway through the week, we were desparately wondering how quickly we could book a weekend break away without children! However, our 2 children loved it.

We booked direct with Duinrell, and stayed in one of their 'C' Duingalows - 6 bed (1 double, 1 twin, 1 bunk). Substantially smaller than the European Center Parcs ones we're used to, but a lot larger than the caravans supplies by Euro Camp, Tui, and all the other camping holiday suppliers ON THE SAME SITE!

The price booking direct was about the same, and whilst you have to arrange your own ferry crossing, there is more flexibility. Other advantages - much bigger accomodation, much nicer surroundings (loads of trees, bushes & shrubs between us & next duingalow), park closer to accomodation, great childrens play area nearby for late evenings, as well as the main ones near the swimming pool.

The Pool was OK, better probably for teenagers. It got very crowded at weekends (as opposed to just busy in weekdays). Again, we prefer the NL / BE Center Parcs pools. The changing cabins are badly designed - there's no space to pass each other by the lockers.

While we were there the weather was unseasonably awful. The first evening there was torrential rain, even flooding their bar area. The big childrens play area was glorious mayhem - flooded, but packed by children enjoying slides ending in water, roundabouts where they had to run through water, swings through water! Messy but fun (and safe).

Shopping. Albert Heijn supermarket is worth searching for - cheaper than the on site one, but high quality (think Waitrose). Also around: Aldi and C1000 (C douzand) - which stocks some Tesco items. Thestaff in the On Site supermarket couldn't tell me which coffee pods I needed for the coffee machine in the cottage (even though I asked in dutch as well as english).

Theme Park. Great (if you like that kind of thing, which our 6 & 8 year old did). Not too large that you get tired. I recommend getting there when the park opens at 10:00 (that's after a relaxed breakfast & a short walk) - Our children managed 10 goes on the roller coaster one morning, followed by 4 on the chair-o-planes. Note that the 120cm hight rule on most rides is stricktly adhered to - 118cm is not high enough (our 6 y/o was 121cm, but checked each day by the staff).

We went the second to last week of UK school holidays, but it was also the first week of school in NL. Therefore it was 1) cheaper to book, and 2) mid-season, not high-season and this meant the theme park closed at 5:00, not 6:00, and there was a lot less 'entertainment' - which looked quite naff anyway.

Language: Many many people from UK there, as well as NL, BE & Germany. All staff speak English. In fact, trying to get them to speak dutch was hard (unlike at a festival in Belgium I was playing at the week before).

Would I go again? Maybe, but add a second week at Center Parcs Kempervennan or the one up near Amsterdam. But probably just do CP with a full day out to Efteling!

Mark
We stayed at this park in Aug 05, there were 8 adults 3 children and 1 baby, and we had a great time, we decided on one of the 8 berth caravans from Keycamps which included our ferry crossing, in hindsight we wish we hadpaid the extra for two vans, it may sleep 8 people but the beds are very small, and we kept falling out of them, one of the boys rolled out of the top bunk :shock: .

The kids loved the swimming pool and the amusement park, we hired biked and did a days touring, it was so effortless, the town of Wassenharr has everything you need.

The beach is great and is on parr with some of the resorts in the med, sun loungers and wind breaks for hire and loads of restaurants on the sea front, we spent the whole day there.

We would def go back, one year on and despite having taken our childrent o Egypt this year they still rave on about this site.
We are going in 2 weeks and it will be our second visit. we are travelling as 3 families of 5 and cannot recommend the place highlty enough. The children will range in age from 16-7 and i'm sure they will all be just as happy as the last time we went three years ago.
The other place i recommend is domain des ormes in Brittany we have had plenty of goods times there as well.
Hi
Just come back from Duinrell. We stayed with Eurocamp via Sun Holidays. We had a lovely time. If you are taking children then you will find it hard to pull them away from the site. We only tried the food places on the first night and we found the burgers in the one eatery were dry as if they had been made two hours ago. That put us off using them again. The Irish bar was very quiet when we went so as it was just the two of us we went into Wassenaar for the rest of the time.

Wassenaar is just a short walk (about 5-10 minutes) and well worth walking to. Broeders bar is good. Watch out for the bikes they have more of a right of way then cars or people. Anything stronger then wine you have to buy from the two liquor stores in Wassenaar.

Amsterdam - we went to Amsterdam via the park and ride scheme which was reccommended by the reps and I can honestly say its the way to go to Amsterdam. Literature is available in English from the Eurocamp reps. You drive to Sloterdijk park and ride (clearly signposted) Park your car in the secured parking lot then go to the supervisor. He will give you a parking ticket and two (maximum) transport tickets (I presume you have to pay for any more people which shouldnt be much) You then get the train bus metro tram (which ever you fancy they are all within 3 minutes walking distance) When you arrive at Amsterdam Central there are yellow machines at the bottom of the escalators in the station. put your tickets in the machine face up with the blank bar going into the machine first. This will stamp your tickets(you must do this - proof that you have used the facilities to get to Amsterdam central) Now you can relax and enjoy Amsterdam. When you return go to the supervisor with the STAMPED tickets and original parking ticket. You then just pay 5.50 euros for the two tickets (about £4) Extremely good value for money.

Hope you have a lovely holiday. We certainly did

When we can afford it we will be coming back with the family

sounds fab !! :)
we do the Sun holidays to France but will try for the Holland one next time :)
Hi
thought i'd use this thread to ask my question rather than start another one about Holland...

Can anyone tell me how Holland compares price-wise with England and France??

We are considering going to this campsite next May, but have no idea re the prices of food/drinks in Holland.
We camp in France regularly, but just wondered how the cost of living compares.

Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.