Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi. Another question I'm afraid.
How lenient (sp) are Emirates regarding excess luggage for the hold? Singapore quote 20kg as the weight allowance, but last year, my hand luggage was over, and the check in girl made me put some of it into my suitcase, saying that I was allowed up to 23kg for my hold luggage. She said they don't make it known however.
Are Emirates the same does anyone know? do they allow you to go over by a certain amount before they charge excess?
Sorry about all these questions, there will probably be many more, I'm afraid
Thanks in advance
Debbi.x
The one and only time I transited through Dubai airport was going on for 30 years ago and I bet it's changed a bit since then! The only things that I remember about it was the heat and humidity surging into the plane as they cabin crew opened the door - disembarking was like walking into a cloud of cotton wool soaked in hot water and then getting really chilled sat on the air-conditioned bus waiting to be taken to the terminal and then discovering that a litre bottle of water in the cafe cost more than a litre bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label in the Duty Free shop!

SM
Hya Darren. This is a question for you :wave
I have booked my seats on my flights to and from Perth. I am flying on a 777-ER. I was just wondering if you knew if I have booked ok seats or could you recommend a seat number for me please. I do have time to change it providing there are any seats left. duhh, I forgot to say that my seat number is 32H for each leg of the journey.
Thanks Darren
rgards,
Debbi.x
debbi,

Seats are a personal things really. What I or others prefer may not be your prefference. I hate not having a window seat for example. Seatguru has some useful information on 'best' seats. 32H is a neutral part of the aircraft so I'm sure they are fine. Emirates is one of the best airlines out there so any seat should be fine!!

Darren
Unless you get an IFE box underneath your seat - bit of a problem on B777'S in my experience!

Nivsy
Thanks Darren. :wave: :tup
I like an aisle seat when i am travelling alone, as I can get up and walk round without bothering strangers.
But it was one of those IFE boxes that Nivsy has just mentioned that I was concerned about, as I had one of those last year on the long leg of my flight home from Perth with Singapore Airlines, and I was keen to avoid that again!! It was awful, no leg room at all.
Thanks for your reply Nivsy too.
ps. What is an IFE box??? What's it for??
Thanks guys,
Debbi.x
Darren. I have just checked on that site you gave me the link for, seatguru, and it looks like i have made a good choice, as there is no restrictions in leg room, or in any other way.
Thanks again,
Debbi.x
debbi,

What is an IFE box??? What's it for??

The IFE (In Flight Entertainment) box is a smallish box fitted either beneath the seat or on the seat supports which powers the seat back entertainment system. It's like a mini server. I've never had a problem with them personally but others have. On some aircraft, they can make a nice foot rest!!

Darren
Ahhhh, I seeee. makes sense now, IFE.
Thanks for answering all my questions, I'm pretty sure I will have more before I go in 6 weeks ,
Kind regards,
DEbbi.x
Hi, I'm flying to Mauritius in October from Birmingham via Dubia with Emirates. I have booked flight and hotel through Mercury Direct, does anybody know if or how I can book which seats we want.

Thanks for any help.
Dumbo,

Refer to the Emirates website. Enjoy Mauritius, it's a fabulous place. I was over there last September.

Darreb
Hi Dumbo

Unless you are travelling business class, Emirates usually allocate seats on arrival at the airport. However, they will allocate seats to Skywards members. Joining Skywards is easy, just log into the Emirates website, apply online and you will be given your membership number straight away and then just go on Seatguru and select the seat you prefer and then call Emirates and quote your Skywards membership number and they will then be happy to book your seats. Hope this helps.
:D
Jann
I just rang the Emirates office and booked seats on all 4 sections of my flights. I did not have to be a member of anything, just quoted the booking reference.
Not sure if this has already been asked...

But we are going to Perth (Australia) from Manchester via Dubai at the end of June. We have bought electronic tickets for the first time, and booked in January... are e-tickets released around the same time as normal tickets (round 2 weeks before departure?)

Dumb question, but my mum is worried and I'm trying to reassure her!
dramaqueen,

I've never used EK so I can't be 100% sure, but for most of the other airlines with e-tickets all you need is your booking reference number. You won't actually receive a ticket. If you've booked through an agent, you may receive Amadeus access for your booking. If you booked direct, you should be able to access your booking through the EK website and check-in online etc.

Darren
Excellent Thanks Darren:
Brother has the booking ref number, so we can reassure my mum!
Hi dramaqueen and Judith ... to try and maintain this topic about Emirates, I have transferred your discussion about visa applications to our Australia forum, where it may also be of interest to others ... please click here.

David :wave
Does anyone know if you get complimentary drinks with emirates and free movies to watch economy class.
Im flying in one week cant wait now fingers crossed its free ha!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.