Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Tricia... please read what I have just posted.

Yes a lot of Bedouins were rounded up as were other Egyptians. There have been a lot of rumours and counter romours and different reports in different media. There is one report that one bedouin admitted selling explosives to terrorists because he thought that they would be used in Gaza. We don't know who the bedouin is or where he is. Mostly likely he is in the North Sinai area which borders Gaza. There is no evidence that the explosives he admits to selling were actually used in the bombings.

There were claims by three different relatively or completely unknown groups. None have been substantiated.

However, I repeat that the bombings are clearly in the style of Al Quada. I don't believe that Al Quada would rely on the local bedouins of Nuweiba. Too risky. Many are still too close with the Israelis, many speak Hebrew as a second language. Almost all Nuweiba bedouins, directly or indirectly, benefit greatly from the Israeli tourist. This was not some easily thought up plan. This took months to plan and prepare. We are talking about acquiring three vehicles, well over half a ton of explosives, detonators, planning, training, trial runs, transportation etc etc. The Israelis were very specific in their warnings in early September. They referred to Al Quada operations that were being planned in Sinai ( as well as other countries ). They are advising their citizens to stay at home but are not giving out any specific warnings as before.

The security forces in Egypt which have had a very strong presence in Sinai in recent years has really woken up and are now paying full attention in order to avoid such a re-occurance. Obviously mistakes were made but now are being rectified.

What more can I say ?
Thank God for this forum.
This is my first post here, I am travelling to Taba Heights on October 28th from Gatwick with Longwoods.Obviously theres been an issue surrounding security since last Thursday night in the Sinai.
I've been to Egypt countles times in the lst 20 years, I love it, the heat/culture/history diving etc.
I couldnt believe it when I heard the news about the bomb blast.
At least now I know from others reports that security has been improved, (particular thanks to Swisssinai).
Trying to find out information from the Travel Agents and Tour operators makes me think theyre as useful as a chocolate teapot!!!!
The embassy in Cairo havent returned my e-mail nor the manager at the Hyatt, concerning my wishes regarding tourist security.

Anyway, in the last year I've had 2 weeks at the Hilton Sharm Dreams in Sharm a week in Luxor (for the fourth time I think and a week in Hurghada, prior to that a number of visits, including backpacking the country, youth hostels and various diving holidays.
As you can tell I love the country, and this bombing was the last thing needed.
Was nice to see others on here who have the same desire to go to this country they love and have inspired me to firmly decide to continue with 2 weeks at the Hyatt Regency from October 28th.

Swisssinai, are you swiss working in Egypt? Thanks for your encouraging messages regarding travel in the Sinai.

Matt :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hi Matt...

I ve been here on and off for over 18 years.

Am now building a little hotel next door to Tropicana Nuweiba. I love the area and find it very quiet and safe. My frustrations lie with building contractors and building staff - trying to get something built quickly and well is more difficult than trying to climb up Moses Mountain backwards and blindfolded.

Pity you will miss the lunar eclipse on the early morning of the 28th !
I phoned Peltours today. They were offering people booked on 23 Oct to Taba Heights a change to Sharm. There seems no real reason why Sharm was considered any safer than Taba othr than a desire to appease nervous people! They told me that most hotels including the Marriott at Taba Heights are not allowing cars near hotels and all cars are being stopped and searched a safe distance away. On reflection, hubby and I have decided not to panic and stick with Taba - it would, as Swissinai says, seem to be a more remote and therefore more easily patrolled area. I just hope I can relax when I get there! :lol: PS Thanks again, Swissinai, your local knowledge is very helpful. :P
Swisssinai,

Many thanks for all the information you have posted, I must say, it is brilliant to be able to "link in" with somebody who is actually there. I look forward to your hotel being built, I think you will have lots of guests once you are up and running ! Take care Tricia
Thanks for the welcome Briarskeg.
Tricia when are you going to Egypt, I seem to remember reading a post from yourself that youre flying to Taba and staying at the Hyatt from the 28th onwards?
If so, thats the same as myself and my partner Sally.
Swisssinai, can you tell me some more about the security at hotels, are they allowing vehicles to enter close to hotels, guess I'm particularly interested in this regarding the Hyatt Regency at Taba, also do they have concrete barriers across the roads etc, or it possible for any vehicles to drive right up to the hotels, as in the same case with the Taba Hilton?

Your time is very much appreciated, I hope you realise that, by me and I'm sure others feel the same way as myself, (apprehensive, but determined), so doubt they appreciate also.

Matt :D :D :D
I have nt visited recently the hotel itself but have driven frequently past the entrance to Taba Heights.

Taba Heights is a large tract of land some 15 km south of the Taba - Israel border that has been developed by a large Egyptian investor. This is the same investor who developed El Gouna, 20 km north of Hurghada, who also own one of the mobile franchises in Egypt ( Mobinil ), a small airline plus other businesses in Egypt and the rest of the Middle East. Taba Heights consists of, so far, three large resort hotels ( Marriott, Hyatt and Sofitel ) plus a water sports marina as well as other hotels, apartments and other buildings still under construction, ( don't think you will be disturbed by the other construction - not at all as its a very large piece of land ). They also own the petrol station plus staff housing and other infrastructure on the other side of the road.

This has meant that they have been able to secure the entrances to Taba Heights ( and thus to those three hotels ) at the main road itself some 2 - 3 km from the hotels thus minimising any possible risk from Al Quada type attacks. This company also has the financial and political clout to ensure that their properties are properly protected. Taba Hilton was a city centre style high rise building located on a compact small site between the road and the sea.

SAS Radisson Taba ( which technically speaking is not Taba Heights but on the Taba - Nuweiba Road ) and the Hilton Nuweiba are also properties with an easy securable entrance gate that prevents vehicles from breaking through into the hotel grounds.

If I am correct I gather that the vehicle that rammed the Taba Hilton went up the wrong way ( i.e. the exit lane ) into the entrance of the hotel. I just don't think this will be possible at the other hotels mentioned above.

Hope that helps.
Matt

My husband and I (oops, I sound like the Queen ! ) are flying to Taba on the 1st November from Manchester and staying for 1 week at the Hyatt. We will be celebrating our 30th Weding Anniversary on the 2nd. After reading Swisssinai postings I feel more at ease with regards to the bombings. We have previously stayed at the Radisson in Taba and called into the Hyatt to pick people up on the way back to the Airport so I totally agree with Swisssinai views. We do not have to leave home to encounter terrorism, I live in Warrington and a bomb was planted 12 years ago by the IRA in the High Street the day before Mothers Day and 2 young boys were killed. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that a small northern town like Warrington would encounter such evil.

ps As previously suggested on the board, have you registered on the Hyatt web site for your gold passport ? , upgrades, late check outs and tea and coffee available without charge, should save a fortune based on Hyatt charges !!! 8)

Regards
Tricia
Tricia, thanks for that.
I have gone to the Hyatt website and ordered the Goldpassport, obviously this hasn't arrived, in the form of a plastic card, guess my registration number will do, but we'll see.
Always take coffee and travel kettle anyway, i drink far too much coffe for them to be able to keep up with my demand :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guess we'll bump into each other at some time even if we don't know it at the time then as your also staying there.
I'll keep my ears close to the ground for someone calling his wife tricia!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

I'll be the one snorkelling 24/7

Matt
I have returned from Taba SAS Raddison on Sunday.I had a wonderful time. :D
We were there when the bombs exploded,and yes it was scarey!!We had visited Nueba that evening and on our return we felt and heard the explosion at the Hilton,The windows at the Raddison ratlled ,we went to our room unaware that it was a bomb,we turned on the CCN news and saw what was happening,TV today is amazing!! We felt very lucky that we had returned from Nueba as two bombs exploded there, and that we were not in the Hilton
Trying to sleep was hard and then we had a cut in our power ,thrown into pitch darkness :shock: :shock: :shock:
The electricity was quickly switched back on and all was ok.Obviously switching took place due to the explosion for saftey.
The next day peoplw were in shock!! a little quiet,we did not know what to expect<Rumours were flying that the British consulate was visiting etc etc No!! Nothing.!!!!!
We traveled with Libra who were worse than useless!!No messages on notice board etc.The Longwood rep was brilliant even tho she lives in Elliat and could not get to the Hotel due to Boarder crossing had letters posted to every one of her guests keeping them updated.When she did arrive spent hours visiting the guest around the poll,beach etc, even guest's that ha not been her travellers. People were offered a move or return home flight A couple flew home bot I think many stayed on.,Libra Nothing.Also people in England due to travel with Longwood were offered 100% refund or a change of Holiday
Libra Travellers were told as the British Goverment had not said it was unsafe to travel that if they cancelled they would loose there money ??
Surprise surprise when trips were re instated Libra guests had messages
Money Talks. :twisted:
The security at the Hotel was very good armed securty guards ,sniffer dogs ,scanners etc etc,we went out from the hotel,and on return if thow they new the driver and guest,the car was surched and we had to get out,it felt eerie but hey safety comes first.There were many road blocks with security police and you were stopped ant the car surched often,so they are taking your sercurity seriously,Yes it was frightening but at least you would be safe.
Now the Raddison ,we had a great holiday after a not so good start,the hotel was so busy,overcrowded with Israele guest,Trying to get a drinkor food in the buffet was hard ,crowed not a pleasent experiance,but feeling very sorry for these people who left to go home under extreme stress,turned out to our advantage , not the best circumstances I know,but it turned the hotel arround,the service improved,and it was very tranquil.We ate in the Al la Carte excellent food service etc,and so cheap,we were all-inclusive but for the little you paid made all the difference.
The weather was great,The sea warm,and after a few bad days we had a wonderful holidayWith out any predudice i would not return if the hotel was at cappacity with Israle guest deffinatley NO NO NO,But otherwise agreat place to relax.Not with Libra. :!:
I'm off to The Hyatt in Taba on the 24th and the news of the last week has been a worry, not helped by the confusing messages given out by my tour operator, Peltours and the FO. Either its relativley safe to go or not and its not asking too much for our government to make a judgement?

I must say that Peltours have been most unhelpful - on the the 9th their website offered refunds to all booked until 31/10/2004 but was impossible to get through via the phone. By the following Monday the offer was withdrawn and I was offered a 20% refund! Which I forcefully declined.

Still I'm looking forward to my relaxing break and wondering if flak jackets & sandbags are incuded in my luggage allowance :)

At least the Taba Heights complex sounds safe, I just hope the airport and roads along the way are too.........
:D
At this time Jasonw,I wish I could assure you.
But I can tell you that the security is high, every where there are armed guards,road blocks etc,after the bombing it seems security is even higher,I can't say you should go,but they are really looking out for you.
The problem you may have is that the sun is too bright the sea is too warm,the drinks are so cold and that they make you eat every few hours,Agony :lol: :lol: :lol:
I just wish i was still there.
By the way we met some people staying at the Hyatt on our trip to Cairo
they could not rate it high enough,and will definately be going back.
The local authorities are trying to make the security as discreet as possible. I noticed today that the two police cars stationed by the entrance to Taba Heights which were in full view last Saturday are now discreetly parked by the side of a wall where they have a full view of the gate but can not be easily seen. One car is filled with battle police with machine guns and flak jackets.

I m pretty sure that you ll all be safe at Taba Heights. Indeed other hotels that have excellent secure gates are SAS Radisson, Holiday Inn Taba, Sonesta Taba ( formely Steigenberger ) and of course Nuweiba Hilton.
Pinky, thanks for the info about roadblocks and sniffer dogs, thats EXACTLY what I wanted to hear, thankyou. The FO has been useless, like its already been siad, surely the FO could at least say if its RELATIVELY safe to go or not, I mean, their web-site is as useful as a chocolate tea-pot.
Eventually my tour operator and the hotel I'm staying at returned my e-mails. The hotel said their security had been tightened, Problem there is they told me they now have guards on the hotel door, ALL egyptian hotels have had guards on the doors since the '97 Luxor massacre of 58 German tourists. Ho hum, I thought, well at least theyre TRYING to convince me.
The tour operator (Longwoods) gave me a direct line number and got to at least speak to a bod and not a machine nor imbessile. Little more reassurance there.
NEVER ws there any sugestion of a refund.
If there had of been I'd have taken it, but now, after all the messages I've read here I'm glad I didn't, and I'm going and I'm going to ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason, we'll be at the Hyatt from the 28th for two weeks, see u there somehow I guess, theres others on this forum going also, I think it takes some determination and 'steel' but we can't allow the terrorists to win and if anyone cancelled THEY'VE WON.

I love Egypt and the scenic beauty of the Sinai for me know no bounds.
The only thing better is whats beneath the water, BRING IT ON !!!!!

Matt
The FO have amended their travel advice re Egypt.

As far as I can see, the only change is to the area of the Sinai they consider to be at high risk of further attacks.

Prior to today it was the Eastern Sinai, today it says the Sinai peninsula.

I'm not posting this to alarm anyone, indeed it hasn't prompted me to cancel my holiday, but there may be members and guests who aren't checking the FO site daily so this is just to keep them informed.

Philippa

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket%2FXcelerate%2FShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618385875
Hi All

I have been looking at the FCO site every day and lots of times a day. I looked on the french and canadian ones too and as far as I could understand (my french is ok but not perfect) the french government were advising people not to go to north east Sinai.

The FCO guidance doesn't seem particularly helpful, they continue to say the risk is high but what purpose does it serve other than worrying people, you can't cancel, without loosing your money and I do not wish to cancel. I am confident that I would be safe at the Coral Hilton in Nuweiba but the Journey from Taba airport worries me a little as the roads are so baron and I would feel a bit vulnerable.

I do not wish to sound selfish as my 2 week holiday pales into insignificance in the grand scheme of things but never the less it is two weeks where I want to relax, not to constantly worry about worrying things.

What do other people think :?: :?
As I have said before, I have little faith in the accuracy or value of the FCO warnings. The amendment is actually just a re-wording - but does the FCO know something that the Egyptians, and especially the Israelis ( who appear to have been the best informed ), do not know ? I hardly think so - I would suggest that their warning in the right hand column of that travel advice about the dangers of global terrorism is more relevant.

Check out their travel advice on Iraq -

We advise against all but essential travel to Iraq.

Are you kidding FCO ? All travel should be advised against !

The threat to British nationals remains high.

High ? I would suggest extremely ultra high !!!

And yet Iraq is not listed in the top bracket that the FCO advises against all travel to parts of, as such countries as, amongst others, Nigeria ( which I have visited 5 times over the past two years ) and Ethiopia ( which my daughter visited on a school trip last year ) !

Why ?

I will not go into that as this is not supposed to be a political forum.

Maybe I am a bit grouchy tonight... I am still in Cairo and not yet in peaceful Nuweiba and I have just been watching myspanking brand new copy of the freshly released DVD Fahrenheit 911.

:rage Grrrrrrrr !!!!!
The reason I'm keeping such a close eye on the FO site, is that if at any point they should advise against travel I want to be able to get straight in touch with my tour operator and book an alternative, there will be too many people chasing too few holidays.

I'm assuming that the tour operators don't allow people to travel against FO advice??
Is that the case?

I am determined to go to Sharm next year.
:oops:
Sorry I can't help my mind being a little over active I know I have just as much chance getting into trouble anywhere, I shall have to bring some extra marmite to chill you out :whoops
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.