Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
If the tour operator has to cancel everything, and there are no alternatives to be found, I'll just have to stay at your new hotel then swisssinai :D :D
Well in that case....

I hope the FCO advise against all travel to Sinai after you arrive.

That way all flights will be immediately cancelled and you ll be stranded here with me !!!

:D
Swisssinai I agree with you ENTIRELY, the FCO advice is ***** to say the least, I think they are more concerned about their relationship with foreign governments than their own citizens. This point is ENTIRELY proven by their advice for travelling to Iraq, I have checked that out too as some sort of a comparison against their advice for Egypt.
I mean, come on, its a bloody war zone and its not even listed in their list of countries where they suggest particular discretion is observed in certain areas, let alone advicing AGAINST travelling there, ITS A BLOODY WAR ZONE !!!!!!!!!!!!! what more has to happen in a country before they advice against travel????
Really, what a bunch of amateurs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no intention of cancelling, I'm meant to be there this time next week, if the travel company cancel they better do good, or there'll be hell to pay.

Cancelling means terrorism winning, no way jose :o :o :o :o
Matt

Edit to remove swear word Briar
Sorry Briar, :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol: :lol:

little hot under the collar with the FCO.

(For those wondering what it said, was a reference to male genitalia :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Matt
OH ******* (same word as matt used)
Here we go again,The FCO are really not helping.I have been in utter turmoil over this trip ,we arrive Sun 24th,and just when I get my head round it and look forward to our trip they come out with this ammendment today. As Matt says it should either state GO or DON'T.

I spoke to my travel company on Monday this week and they said their rep in Sharm was totally confident in the security offered and didn't feel threatened in any way. This reassured me and a few polite but firm "calm down woman" replies from swissinai put me in the holiday mood again, but when I'm trying to pack my little kids swimming trunks and buckets and spades etc I'm afraid I'm not really feeling that happy. I appreciate they have to say something but it is not helpful in any way , shape or form to me when it is so unclear. I'm a bit fed up to be honest. YES yes I know that by cancelling I'm letting the bad guys win ,all the same I'm just not sure what to do now. Sorry, this sounds like some tearful wretched woman crying over her suitcases. Its not meant to be putting everyone in a downer. Better go and have a bedtime Mars Bar.See you in Sharm
Hello all,
I've had a good nights sleep, well actually not one of the kids had me up at 5am(bless),I spoke to my tour operator,see my posting "a rare thing" n the forum,and now I feel fine.
Safe journey to all

I was a bit fed uplast night , packing always depresses me!!!!!!!
well, enny - just think - within 48 hours you'll be in paradise, with clear blue seas and hot sandy beaches... all your packing stress will be long forgotten! :lol:

It's good to hear that someone was able to reassure you - all the tour operators could do with a lesson from the guy you spoke to. It doesn't take much to take a bit of time and be helpful and sympathetic! Have a great time!
Hi Enny

Just to say I really envy you flying to Sharm on Sunday.... I really wanted toget there for half term but left it too late and I now have to wait til 16th December.
You will love your holiday and your kids will too. Mine are really looking forward to it. They have been twice and they remember every single moment of it.
Sharm is just the best place!!! So enjoy!!!

Luchy
I agree, we are all too quick to mention the bad, but not so quick with the good.

Excellent three cheers for the Cutomer Services Manager, @ Odyssey/Olympic!!! :pele :pele :pele
Kath HT Admin
The last suitcase is packed and we are off tomorrow. I have been watching this forum for some time but registered so that I could say thanks to everyone for their advice.

We were dismayed and horrified by the bombing in Taba. Disillusionment with our travel company soon followed as they repeated the mantra of the FCO. Like Enny I am travelling with children, and their safety is a huge responsibility. There is enough anxiety being a mum as it is. I do not expect the FCO to hold my hand and tell me holiday will be fine, but I do expect them to offer the sort of advice that allows me to make well-informed decisions about my travel plans.

I think another perspective is to be gained from looking at the advice for countries that we would consider safe. Someone living outside Europe looking at the FCO's advice for France, Spain or Italy would be forgiven for thinking that these are dangerous countries to visit, but most of us would hop on a plane to Spain without a thought.

In the end it has been the info and advice on this forum that has helped to influence my decision. I intend to have a wonderful time and discover what it is about Egypt that so many of you are so passionate about. I am going to watch the lunar eclipse and snorkel with my girls. I will still be apprehensive, but that's me - I feel anxious every time I get on a plane but as my husband says probably the most dangerous part of the whole trip is the M25 on the way to Gatwick!

Enny I hope you and your family have a great time - we intend to. 8)

Kathy
Apparently, more people die every year getting dressed in the morning than they do from plane crashes.
Hi Kathyblue

I understand. I dont like planes either and I have a bad time everytime I go home back to the Canaries.
When I fly to Egypt though, I am so excited I really do lose that fright feeling. Last time I went, we landed at daytime and just before landing the plane flew over the Tiran reefs, which are beautiful to dive and snorkel. I was so full of emotion I cried as if I was coming home. I know this all sounds a bit weepie. I tend to get carried away when I think of the Red Sea.

I am absolutely sure you and your girls will love your holiday. Enjoy and let us have your comments after.

Luchy
Evening all,

Thats all the packing done, kids are in bed and tomorrow we're off.

Hi to Charlie,cant wait now thanks.

Hi to Kathyblue, (are you flying from Gatwick?). Like you I have really had to do some serious thinking the past few days, and like you I have come to really value this site and peoples knowledge and support on a whole range of things from small bits to very important issues.
Pretty cool that total strangers can be so kind and helpful,especially in the climate of why and how we came together on this particular topic.

(could have just said thanks but wanted to show how grateful I really am to all of you)

[b]Matt you must get out more, how on earth do you know these things????[/b]

Be good every one and I'll let you all know how my first trip to Sharm went when I get back
bye :wink:
Matt know all of the info as he has one of these :lol:

Tim
:wow

Are they examples of what's to be seen when snorkelling
off the Sinai Peninsula?

Hope so :D

Philippa
Well, I'm hoping to see some of my tanks inhabitants when I go to Nuweiba in a few weeks... I've seen a few photos a freind (also a fellow reefer) took snorkelling there and they look amazing...

Tim
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.