Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
I'm not clear whether this is a change you have requested? Or one that First Choice has made because they have decided to no longer send guests to this hotel? If this is a change you have requested in the light of press reports then you I don't think there's much you can do about it. You're probably right that in that situation you have 3 options:

1) Go but be very careful and if any of your party are ill make sure that you complain in resort, keep detailed notes etc and make a compensation claim on your return (but bear in mind that FC might be right and the problem is now sorted).

2) Change your holiday but pay the necessary charges and any additional costs.

3) Cancel and lose everything you've paid.

However, if First Choice have decided to re-allocate you to another hotel off their own bat then this would count as a major change and you are either entitled to a full refund or else to be moved to a comparable hotel but from what I can gather this is a change due to you and your party deciding you don't want to go to this hotel anymore - is that correct?

Also, it might be a case that the reason why the hotel is no longer bookable through the website is because it is now fully booked for this season. It doesn't necessarily mean that FC are no longer taking bookings because of the reports of food poisoning. I know that this isn't probably what you want to hear but in the circumstances they've offered you nothing becasue you're not entitled to anything. Unless you can prove that there is still a continuing problem with food poisoning affecting numerous guests then this would be classed as a 'disinclination to travel' and as such you are not entitled to compensation, nor would your insurance usaully cover a claim on these grounds.

SM
Thanks for that - first choice have offered this to ALL guests travelling to this hotel before 31st August, however they haven't actually gone as far as stopping guests from travelling to this hotel, so therefore I suppose it is our choice as to whether we move. They have confirmed they have removed hotel and not taking bookings due to ongoing investigations, not due to it being fully booked. I have been to this hotel before and liked it but am worried about increased reports of illness - especially for the children of the party. Just feel like First choice not being very honest in responses - worried in case investigation does find something and holiday is cancelled at last minute. Will take your advice on board however and hope for the best
This hotel is well known on the Bulgaria Forum, and has been the source of complaints since it was first opened by First Choice in early 2004. For some idea of what has happened see the hotel review page HERE

First Choice are fully aware of food poisoning problems going back to day one, and I'm certain Ros Ferihough will have a file on it.

I suggest she be contacted.

The direct number to Ros's PA Pam is 01922 705134, or try the switchboard number 01922 633214 and ask for Travel Dept.

It's probable that the best you can expect is a 100% refund if they cancel, but your need proper advice on this one.

Peter
Reviews are so mixed - like to make own mind up as long as my health, or families health, not at risk!!!!! Not a moaner but after 14 months of waiting, kids will be devestated if it is cancelled and there is very little chance we would be able to re book for 16 of us in one place - will give it a couple of days and call number given - thanks Peter
Don't know what to do either there are some mixed views no more press about the recent problems, if it was that bad like the dom republic one last year it would have been plastered all over the press, hope i am right and don't go to a complete dive, have kept all emails times of calls to first choice etc in case something does happen, i just hope it doesn't and we have a great time, i'm in the same boat as you cezza33 i booked holiday last year when i was at holiday village turkey in there new holiday shop and got such a good discount, there is nothing that matches this one on price there are 3 adults and 2 kids in out party and most other holidays where coming at 5k plus can't afford to change no refund offered so going to have to stick with it.
I would suggest printing of the Safe and Sound booklet which is available via the link in my signature. If that doesn't answer what you should do if the worst happens then you should call Ros Fernihough for advice before you travel. Her contact details are at the top of this forum.

luci :wave
if it was that bad like the dom republic one last year it would have been plastered all over the press

It has had dishonourable mention, and some problems are much the same year after year. It's a huge white elephant of a hotel, the staff can't cope when it's nearing full capacity.

http://tinyurl.com/6388uj

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/west_midlands/7506058.stm

http://www.pannone.com/press-releases.asp?prid=11&pyr=2006

Peter
The only advice I can give is to think hard before going to stay somewhere that may have food poisioning issues. It's just not worth it, trust me...................three years later and i'm still suffering after contracting salmonella in Mexico thanks to Airtours.
Just be very careful....
8-)
Do think again about staying in this hotel. There is no way that you should expose yourself to staying in this hotel. What is more important your health or the holiday. Remember if you become ill you are going to have a miserable holiday at best and at worst who knows.

Sue
No I have not been there but I do a lot of cruising and from time to time there are outbreaks of Gastric Virus on the Ship. Fortunately I have escaped it but others have not been so lucky.
For this virus to go it needs very extreme measures of cleaning spraying etc. Not pleasant!
Just do think about it if you can find out if the virus is still there.
If the holiday company ask you to change to another hotel and you decline this it means that if you become ill you are on your own.
You might find even that your holiday insurance would not cover you if they say you knowingly went. Can you not push the Company for a refund with no loss whatsover. This is what I would do. Try to speak to someone in a higher position. Customer Services will deal with these issues and I would try to get a name and an email address. Or better still try to speak to them and then follow it up in writing.

Good luck

Sue
Hi Sue , I haven't declined their changes, just that they had nowhere to offer us as there are 16 in our group. We have been offered today a move to 3star half board hotel in sunny beach but would need to book 2 rooms (defeats the object of a family holiday) and find more money to accomodate for the fact we are no longer all inclusive. I just feel they should offer us a comparable hotel or refund, at the moment we will lose 90% of money paid as they are still insisting it is safe to travel. Bulgarianhotels.com have now stopped selling this hotel due to , quote , 'large numbers of customer complaints'. Surely insurance would not be invalidated, first choice claiming no reports of illness for past week (not so if you read reviews on certain sites but maybe they are seeing an opportunity to claim money back- who knows!). Getting very fed up!
there were no flights available for Bulgaria when we go on 04th August but some have become available on first choice websites for two other hotels, half board though, i would probably get close to £800 back having one of these hotels but this would most certainly go quite rapidly on drinks/snacks etc and also hotel don't look as nice, also i have asked insurance company i have policy with and they have said if contract illness that is already known about, going knowing about it they will void claim
Dazznutts - you looking forward to this hol as much as me???????!!! if first choice saying the illness has gone , we have to rely on their word surely? We are not knowingly going to make ourselves ill!
As Peter says I think it would be an idea to contact Ros as you are really stuck in the middle here. First Choice as I understand it are denying a current problem, yet with enough evidence from elsewhere to the contrary, it seems that the insurance companies would fail to pay if you were to fall ill. I think this is where you do now need the legal advice, since if you go potentially you could end up in a real predicament.

I completely understand your worry and frustration at the attitude from First Choice. Last year not long before we were due to go to Bulgaria, there were major changes which resulted in them offering to let us change 'at no cost' in as far as admin charges etc. We too had booked early and so had free child places etc, so I did try arguing the point that they would resell our holiday again (for more than we had paid) plus an equivalent would cost us an extra £1000 elsewhere, so it was win, win for them and we got nowhere. Not impressed, but we went anyway, however it is totally different when you are talking about your health.

Good luck- have you tried shopping around elsewhere with companies like Travel Republic etc? If you can push for a full refund you may find something elsewhere within budget if you ignore the main tour operators.

Pam :cheers
it seems that the insurance companies would fail to pay if you were to fall ill. I think this is where you do now need the legal advice, since if you go potentially you could end up in a real predicament.

I wouldn't go optimistically believing "Surely insurance would not be invalidated ... ", because I believe there's a good chance it could be, and urge legal advice be obtained ASAP. I am certain Ros will have a dossier on FC and this hotel, and so will your local trading standards.

Peter
Don't let this ride over the weekend. If you still have time to put in a call to Ros. You urgently need the legal advice to put more pressure on FC. I would not accept a call centre giving me this information. If you have to settle for a HB deal not AI then surely it is safer to do this.

If your insurance fails to pay out in the event of illness they could well claim that you went knowing that there was or had been a problem. Nowdays Insurance Companies will try every avenue to get out of paying claims. I read yesterday of a child on a RCI ship who injured herself on the Ice rRnk on the ship and her insurance will not pay out based on the fact she does not have Sports Cover!! This thought would never have occured to me.

Ceasing to sell a hotel is enough evidence for me to say just don't take the chance. It is just not worth it and yes I know the dissappointment for the children. There must be something else out there that would maybe not fit your remit exactly but better than no holiday.

Sue
Going half board not an option - they are not honouring free child places etc so holiday is working out as expensive (and in some cases more expensive) than original holiday. Just don't have spare extra cash for spending money as have budgeted on this being AI and therefore taking little cash. One of our party has taken legal advice and is currently 'debating' issues with first choice. Also can't afford to lose 90% of amount paid for holiday, although we have been told that we should be able to claim that back as first choice are in 'anticipatory breech of contract' ( legal jargon, I have no idea what it means !!!!!) Feel like we are stuck between a rock and a hard place - not all reports that have been posted are negative (I am being overly optimistic again aren't I?!) All your advice has been taken on board so thanks all x
You have been given the best advice we can give and that is to contact Ros Fernihough as soon as possible. However it is up to you whether you take that advice or not.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.