General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
You should expect at least 2 cooker rings, a fridge, utensils.
There will most likely be a bedroom too which you don't usually get when in a hotel!
Some have 4 gas rings with an oven too!

I'd take a travel kettle (you may be lucky and there may be a kettle there)
Also take some sugar and coffee!
I always tend to take coffee, teabags, sugar/sweetners and a small carton of longlife milk, (at least you can have a drink when you get there)the teabags are normally quite suspect on holiday!!

Have a great time.
I usually take a favourite knife or two (for slicing bread, fruit, tomatoes)

But you will find the equipment can vary enormously. Are there any reviews on the accommodation you're going to?

There will be plates, bowls, cups/mugs, glasses and some cutlery. The "saucepans" will probably be enormous! I expect there will be a frying pan too. Probably not much stuff to use in the oven.

This year in Tenerife we didn't have a tin opener or decent corkscrew :shock: or anything sensible to get the eggs and bacon out of the frying pan with!

Don't expect a measuring jug/egg cups/colander/lemon squeezer

A tea towel will probably be provided but don't forget a dishcloth, scourer, oven gloves or pan holder.

...depends on how adventurous you plan to be with the cooking! My Mum used to take a camping set of saucepans with her whenever she went SC!

So it's a bit "pot" luck if you'll pardon the pun. But an apartment is good, because as chivas says, you do tend to have more space than in a hotel room.
Zebedee

First off I would agree with Acorncup and see if there are any reviews on where you are staying but I would imagine unless it is a very low grade place where you are staying you should have everything you need there and more. We have always gone S.C. and have always been pleasantly surprised on arrival with the equipment in our apartments, from every type of wine glass to kitchen utensils, toasted sandwich makers and coffee perculators. As mentioned previously though I do always take sugar, teabags and coffee along with some powdered milk just so we can have that first cup of tea/coffee on arrival whatever time of day or night just in case but perhaps we have always been lucky in the places we have stayed as they always have a complimentary basket with all this in plus a bottle of water and a carton of milk and orange juice in the fridge.

Have a great time
Jackie
oh and take some bottled water for the coffee/tea as it's not recomended to use the tap water.
Obviously you can buy this there but I'm thinking for when you first arrive!
Hi zebedee , you don't mention why you have decided to opt for SC .We opted for SC when we struggled to get hotel rooms for a family of 4 so i will assume you are wanting a bit more space and freedom (and maybe to accomodate choosy eaters)
We allways go self catering as we like the space that an apartment gives us although i NEVER cook on holiday.i have found that some places are very well equiped and others have basic cooking stuff but suit our needs .
Generally I take tea, coffee and some breakfast cereal , we usually do about half our breakfasts and have about half our breakfasts eating in the apartments .For lunch we usually have a snack (bread/meat/fruit etc) and we love eating out at different places .
last year our 12 year old son wrote a review of each resteraunt we ate in when we came back to the apartment each night and we went back to the places that we all liked the best on the last 3 nights of our holiday so we knew we would have a great last night .
Self catering is also great for your fridge and plenty of cold drinks .
Just enjoy it , I have enjoyed staying in hotels but I really do like the freedom of self catering (with no catering apart from a couple of bowls of cereal and a few slices of toast :wink: )
SC
There's only the two of us. i always went SC in the UK with my parents. but since meting my partner we've always preferred B&B.

This year the numbe of hotels offering B&B where we wanted to be was limited. And I efuse to pay for All inc or half board bcause I'd rather eat out every night.

plus last year hubby got sick and I had to sit in the hotel room eating crisps. So we thought we would give SC a go. I suppose we will be making breakfast and maybe some light lunches

I've heard you have to take your own loo roll and stuff. I rmember when I was a kid we took our own sheets. What about towels?

I'd be really gratefull if some of you could give me a list of essentials!
we go self catering all the time a family of five i like the space and the freedom of eating out. we have never had to take loo rolls as you get a maid service who replace them if needed also towels as well we only take towels for the beach with us and use their towels for showering. We never eat in the apartment because why should i have to cook or make sandwiches when im on holiday, but a lot of people do have breakfast in their apartment and you usually get the crockery knife and forks and cups we dont even take tea and coffee because i think the cups are always too small and a couple of mouthfulls and its gone so we drink out as well any questions please just ask.
Honestly Zebedee unless the place your staying is really low rate then you will not have to take a thing, toilet rolls, towels, sheets, washing up liquid, tea towels, iron, hairdryer, ironing board and just about everything else you can think of will be supplied. Perhaps if you are still concerned you could post the name of the apartments and where they are and perhaps someone on here will have stayed there and can put your mind at rest

Best wishes
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.