Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Just look around , everything you want is here. Then ask some questions if you need too.

Regards
Most of the Luxury hotels in the South of Goa are complexes and you need taxis to take you around everywhere.

Never go All Inclusive, much of the attraction of Goa for us is eating in different places.

Food varies from £2 for Chicken Tikka to £10 for Lobster. We usually spend between £8 & £12 per night for food and a couple of drinks for 2.

Drinks usually between 50p and £1 for a 650ml bottle of beer and similar for fresh juices and spirits with mixers. Fresh lime soda about 25p.

Sinquerim has a couple of 5* hotels that are close enough to the rest of the resorts in north Goa to enable you to eat outside the hotel every night.

January / February are good times to go, and you avoid the price hikes at Christmas & New Year.
Agree with previous especially don't go all inclusive. Restaurants are great and cheap - you don't want to be stuck in one place all the time.

Use the search function to nosey around the site and then ask specific questions. November/early December is also a good time and often slightly cheaper
I agree don't go A.I. however I disagree that all the nice hotels in the South are complex based and you need a taxi to get around anywhere. We have never stayed in the North (though have visited on day trips etc.) and have stayed in as well as visited nice hotels and we have never had and never will have a complex/sterile style holiday in Goa.
I agree don't go A.I.

TJ, you ok :?: Drinks are included in the price which means that tight wallet of yours will stay shut http://www.emotihost.com/glass7/4.gif
but at 50 rupees for a large beer, 20 rps for a limca, 95 rps for chicken/prawns/veg hakka noodles, 110 rps for a curry, 30 rps for a naan or/and rice less for a roti and 100 rps for a gimlet and a gorgeous Goan sunset sitting in our favourite shack on the beach and A.I. is a lot of extra money and head for our favourite spot for breakfast at a cost of a whole 9 rps :)
Very much agree Callumn, would never do A.I, would rather have the pleasure of taking a photo of you opening that wallet of yours to pay for the drinks when we meet, heaven :lol:
Guessing that when you say mexico you proably mean Cancun and Puerta vallarta etc.
Don't expect the hotels in goa to be similar (unless you go 5*).
Like all the posts above don't be tempted to do AI, it's simply not worth it.
Two of us spend about £500 in two weeks and drink wine every evening, take the wine out of the bill and I would expect to spend around £350 for all food and drinks, taxis etc.
We generally go february which is fine but a bit later it gets humid and can be a bit oppresive, so if going later make sure of a/c.
if you look at the prices on any travel website you will see that the best times to go are the dearest and the cheapest prices are the less popular times.
Tony you better be quick with the camera :rofl :rofl
Don't worry Callumn I will be http://www.emotihost.com/ver1/camera/1.gif
no reply just :rofl :rofl
p.s. We better get back on topic before Fiona gets back :wink:
It's so darn cheap we ALWAYS bring travellers cheques home again!
Fizzy have you never heard of taking the Nationwide flexi account card - Get the cash you want out of the local ATM's at no commission at all have used mine for the last 3 years Its so much cheaper,safer and more convenient than travellers cheques!! And what you save you can keep in the account for next year!
cheers Lyn
To be honest NO, but we don't pay commission for TC's anyway as OH's bank doesn't charge him (mine does so I don't use them) We also use OH's travel insurance - also provided by his bank and covers me too!

He does however pay for this "priviledge" annually through additonal bank charges so ultimately it is not "free" - nothing in life ever is :( So I guess there is a big contradiction here in what I have said) :oops:

We havent found TC's too much of an inconvenience during 10 visits but any alternative information is ALWAYS useful particularly where money is involved - Thanks for the tip. :)
:P Be prepared for a culture shock if you are used to mexico standard hotels. we have done the Caribbean 5 star hotels but in Goa we go 2 star as all you need is a clean room and a hot shower. the price difference between 2 and 5 star is vast we visited a 5 star last year for a gala dinner and were paying £1.50 for a beer that cost 30p in the 2 star. All inclusive is not a good option as there are so many good and cheep places to eat and drink and you will spend all day on the beaches or on trips. we spend all day at a beach shack and the bill is never more than £7.00 for us both, that includes lunch about 6 beers ans as many soft drinks sunbeds and brolly are free if you use the shacks. Taxi all day is a tenner and will take you anywhere, they will even stay overnight if you fancy a beach hut for a night.

try olympic holidays we have just paid £490 each for 3 weeks 2 star in November. If you want AI try Santiago in Baga it is a really good 3 star close to the beach, we stayed there twice but as i said AI is not the best option.

A lot of people are shocked when they first arrive and rant about how awful the place is but within a couple of days they are raving about the place and say they want to come back next year.

just go with the flow.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.