Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
:omg That's actually quite frightening!!
I have an article somewhere which was printed in Herald about 5 years ago saying the same thing so nothing has changed - Baga Creek was one of the worst affected stretches of water :yikes
I think some of us have been saying this for a long time but those who have expressed their concern have been slated as being anti-Goa etc etc.
Without a doubt Goa has some major hygiene issues that need to be sorted but probably won't be.Some people express the opinion that this is all part of the charm of the place. No comment! In the mean time, keep taking the tablets( and get the injections) !
cheers Dave
.Some people express the opinion that this is all part of the charm of the place. No comment!

:que here we go again!!! why become contentious with replies??? not sure anyone has said dirty water is 'part of the charm' but hey ho ... not about to start another argumentative discussion!!
chilly
No good denying it, it's a major issue that has been a sensitive subject for many for a long time. When the National Institute of Oceanography are issuing warnings it's time to take your head out of the sand so to speak.
It doesn't put me off returning to Goa yet, but it may well do. As tourism, particularly local tourism, is increasing rapidly things will get worse IMO.
I think that it's the role of somewhere like this forum to educate and warn potential trippers in advance.
cheers Dave
No good denying it,

:que I posted it!!
Chilly
not about to start another argumentative discussion!!

You are right because it stops NOW.

Feel free to discuss whatever subject, but please do it in a friendly and respectful manner.

Graham
I agree 100% Kiltman and I don't think I have been guilty of disrespecting Chilly, nor her me !
I think most Goa regulars know the sea isn't as clean as we would wish it to be. We know it and we keep going back because on balance the "ups" beat the "downs".

However, we should remember this forum is read by lots of people who may be considering Goa for the first time and they get a load of helpful information on here. I think Chilly's post is useful because it confirms what many of us suspect and it's definitely something that newbies should be aware of.

I live near the coast in the UK and many local beaches have recently failed the "Blue Flag". Okay, probably not as big a problem as Goa but still not good.
live near the coast in the UK and many local beaches have recently failed the "Blue Flag". Okay, probably not as big a problem as Goa but still not good.

just got ours back , if you fancy a holiday in Sunny Withernsea :)
The story has been covered by The Daily Mail today!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2011148/Goa-beaches-unsafe-Scientists-say-contaminated-swimming.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Guess that's gonna bring a lot of first timers to the forums and put quite a few people off from going.
I first heard it on Radio 2 news yesterday morning. I don't see this as a knock Goa thread but the more adverse publicity that Goa gets the more chance that something will be done to stop the current rapid decline. It's not just the sea that's the problem.
I agree DaveWales....it's got a whole host of problems that need addressing but we all still love it :que

I just keep laughing at all these so called tourist improvements that the tourist office keeps coming up with and hope they never implement them.

Observation tower at Baga beach, flood lit beach at night to make them safer, two multi million yacht marinas etc.

Perhaps they should act in the words of John Major and "get back to basics" to sort the likes of the sea water, plastic bottles and all the other rubbish first. :tup
its pretty shocking when you consider the risks to health, I never really realised the sea was so polluted ... I knew the tap and well water was.. although realistically i should have known :duh when you consider the lack of proper sewage facilities in the state its pretty obvious ... this being put in UK papers will definitely have an impact on tourist numbers, its very off putting esp for families... but i agree its a benefit it being exposed as its the only way it will (or might!!) get addressed... and even then its not a foregone conclusion that it will be dealt with :que it certainly wont be cured overnight!!!!!
chilly
The same report was published a few years ago,and we have all continued to swim in the sea it is also at certain times of the year and is influenced by tides and weather conditions,also mostly tested at the river outlets,so consentrations are higher there ,the sea is marvelous at cleaning itself,take a reading every month for 12 months you will get 12 different readings high and low,in an ideal world there would be no pollutants in water however we do not live in an ideal world,those of us who live by seaside resorts in the u.k. like Blackpool,Rhyl etc etc have only to walk down to the beach to see sewage outlets as is all around the u.k. coast (guess where the best place to fish is )every year some beaches get the blue flag some dont next year the opposite all a question of timing
Levels may be high but I think we should all keep this in perspective.

For many many years all seafood exports from India were banned more or less globally because of bacteria levels. Over the years countries have gradually lifted the ban as the situation has improved, the most recent being Russia & Saudi so how this report can state that levels have increased across the last 6 years baffles me. Their findings seem to contradict those of most of the developed world. And I might add the EU are tightening their H & S requirements for seafood imports yet we are still importing it.

Both parties can't be right can they.

P.S. Dragon, you are very correct also. I fish at Shoreham for Bass & guess where the best sport is? The sewage outlet pipe
India is a very big place and Goa tiny. The report is about Goa particularly. Baga Creek was singled out for particular attention.
When we stayed at the Marinha Dourada last November I made particular mention in my hotel report of the state of their lagoons which stank of raw sewage and had a scum laying on top which was the main offender. Fortunately the wind was blowing it away from the hotel in to the far corners most of the time. These pools are very popular with anglers as they have some huge fish in them. There is an Osprey that fishes the salt pans across the road from the MD but it never attempts to catch the numerous fish in the MD. I wonder why ?
Back to the sewage though, that gets flushed into the river from those pools and in turn it finds it's way down to the sea at Baga Beach. The Baga headland probably keeps it around for a while too. In the last few years there has been more and more development both along the creek and in Arpora. Presumably all the new homes and hotels use the same sewage disposal method.
You wouldn't catch me swimming in the sea anywhere in Goa but particularly not on the BCC strip as you are in danger from jet skis and motor boats to say nothing of the water itself which can also have some pretty strong currents I believe. We do paddle along the shore line taking care to watch for broken glass and bottle tops which are numerous. It was an interesting observation that cuts can be contaminated via the sea water too.
My advice to anyone who has never been is use your hotel swimming pool if you want a swim.
cheers Dave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.