General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
last 2 years weve spent in uk, and really enjoyed it, didnt think i would but im not hankering for abroad,,,,, but this year, no holiday at all!!!
( so far, im still working on hub)
depends what we can get for my budget
Did worry about whether we would be able to make the holiday we have booked for this year as there was talks of job losses, but touch wood it has all worked out o.k. for us ;) . And I have to admit that as soon as the summer 2010 are released I will definatly be booking in advance again!!!, sad I no but the prices have risen so much since I booked this years I want to try and guarantee a good price for next year to. :tup
The credit crunch hasn't come into it with us this year, although I'm positive it would have
some impact should we have had to count the pennies in the holiday fund as we usually do.

But this year, very important events that coincide with OH's works holiday dates are
stopping us from having a holiday this year. :cry
It hasn't with us. We have spent more this year as we are also getting married. My H2B is in monthly savings schemes at work so what we don't have we don't miss. We still manage a week at my friends caravan in August.
As of right now no, the credit crunch hasn't made a change to my holiday plans, but I can see it happening in the future, though it's the low interest/exchange rate that will affect the holidays that I take. I'm a pensioner living abroad with not much chance of saving more than a small amount each month. I do have savings from which the interest I received has in the past combined with a small UK retirement pension covered the cost of my holidays. But the drop to almost nothing in the income from my savings and the poor exchange rate of the pound for my UK pension means a substantial drop to the funds available for spending on holidays.
Credit crunch has affected us to a certain extent, in so far as we were worried about DH's job. We just took a weeks holiday, but rather than having planned it and booked it 10 or 12 months ahead, I booked about 4 weeks before date of travel.

The price I paid was no more than when I was checking the same holiday 10 months ago. :tup although i didnt get my prefered airport, I got the hotel and the dates I wanted.

I just dont feel I can commit to things early anymore as there seems to be a feeling of nobody knowing what's around the corner jobwise and moneywise.

I would hate to lose a 600GBP deposit due to not being able to go through with a booking.

Haven't booked for this summer either yet. Been checking holidays this morning and there are loads out there for my dates, so am not to worried. Guess I might leave it till 4 weeks before again.

Doe :wave
We booked much later than usual as it wasn't a case of if hubby would be made redundant but when. We were lucky especially with him being a surveyor as he found another job straight away and we then decided to book our summer holiday. However I didn't want to spend more than we had in savings, so if he were to lose his job again I knew the money was there to pay for it. Usually I am happy booking 15 months in advance knowing there is plenty time to save before the balance is due, so definitely different in that respect this year. Also I did fancy going S/C as a change from AI but with the state of the euro we had to admit in the end that the only economical option was to do AI again.

Had things not gone our way I would have been happy to take the tent away in the UK, which I guess is what many people will be doing.

Pam
I am still hoping to have a holiday this year, just not in July or August :tup

I am popping to France for a little trip on 25th April as I've had the distanct lack of decent times for quite some time lol
We're ok at the moment, as it looks like both our jobs are secure for the time being. However with the interest rate being so low and the escalating price of utility bills, next year may not be as good.
We've been lucky this year. We are going away in a large group to a villa and the lead name has paid the fare for our daughter so we've only had to find the cash for me & hubby to go. We have had to cut down on the holiday spends we will be taking though as hubby's overtime has been stopped (but his job is safe at the moment thankfully) so we dont have many extra pennies in the weekly pay packet. Ive been trying to save a little each week from our budget.

I think next year will be harder though and at this moment in time, I dont think we will get a holiday abroad.

There is a rumour that we are going to have some pretty good long, hot summers for the next few years :) (something to do with global warming but probably a rumour started to give some hope to people in the present financial climate) so hopefully there will be plenty of opportunity for holidays in this country or day trips around and about.
The credit crunch coupled with the poor Euro exchange rate affected our plans this year. Theres no way we can go all year without a holiday or two but we couldn't afford to increase our holiday budget, and didn't really want to make any cutbacks on what we do once away, so we've booked for a country we wouldn't normally have considered (Turkey) in the hope our money will go further than it currently would in a Eurozone country. Also booked flights much earlier than we would normally do simply because they were at a price too good to miss.
Unfortunately the 'recession' has hit my son and his friends, they recently booked an holiday paying £90 deposit each on the strength of their part time jobs; which they no longer have! They are going to have to cancel the holiday well in advance of their August departure, however, I have been reading the small print in the brochure and they may have to pay some more money as a top up for the deposit?? they haven't got any money thats why they are cancelling the holiday, what sort of trouble are they going to be getting in to? Can anyone advise best way forward please??
juedrops, did they take out travel insurance. If so, it may be worth reading through the policy to see if they can claim.

Louise
Hi Louise, Not too sure if they did, I am waiting to get the paper work off the nominated person in the group, if they have under what terms do you think it may be helpful? they aren't ill or anything just lost the part time work they had so have no funds?
booked majorca holiday last year and then recession began to bite, about to pay full amount this month yikes!!!!!!! still waiting for decent currency exchange though help! won't be bringing much gifts home pound too low ,yet. bought smaller holdalls instead of our big cases hope this will curb spending cough! cough! still want sun but not sure if i would risk it next year , lucky this time love xphx
Credit crunch hasn't affected me I am skint most of the time anyway but still going to side turkey 4th august and I will be booking a 5* for next in belek as soon as 2010 goes on sell, got to get france and majorca in as well next year.
I had booked my summer holiday at Christmas, at the end of January was going to book a week in May but we were then told we were going on short time working 4 day week so decided still book the week off work but so far not booked anywhere because of shortage of cash.

Linda
it has affected us slightly as i wont get my 6 hols abroad this yr :cry ,me being very greedy , we have had 1 so far and got 3 more booked to turkey, but think that will be it for this year, next year might be even less, depending on the flight prices, which seem to have rocketed to turkey this year :que
Louise - Can I suggest you post your query in the Tour Operator and Travel Agent forum, where you will be more likely to get the help you need. Good luck.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.