Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I rang Thomsons to find out if I needed any proof of accommodation and the guy I spoke to said no. He didn't sound so sure so I'm not convinced he is right. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thomsons printed us new return tickets at East Midlands Airport last December, to include "Goa Explorer" as they said it was necessary to have proof of accommodation. Needless to say, on arrival in Goa, no one asked for any proof of accommodation! Never even looked at the Swine Flu declarations (despite the surgical mask the official wore), merely stamping unread and handing them back - to the wrong person!

So, I think it unlikely you would need prrof of accommodation on arrival in Goa, and should Thomsons require it on departure, they seem to have a method of producing at the airport.

Fingers crossed for a good trip. :)
We own a house out here, so never have any proof of accomodation but we fly sheduled so it could be a regulation if you are on a charter flight. If you have any details about where you are staying take it with you or book a hotel on line, then cancel just to be on the safe side
Thanks for your replies guys. I rang Thomsons again and the person I spoke to this time said they would send me an email with reference to 1 nights accommodation but its exactly the same confirmation I already have - without accommodation details :banghead: We are staying in a private apartment and I do have an email as from the owner but they could just say that I typed it and printed it out myself. Oh well I will just have to hope everything is fine.
I am worrying!! flying out 2011 stayed in appt last 2 occassions never been asked to show anything at the airport before to prove where I was staying is this new :think
is this new No

The OP is dated Jan 2009 and states they have had to do it for the last six years and as Spike says it seems to be a Monarch thing mainly from Manchester but why risk going to the airport without the information about your accomodation or a hotel booking because you could be asked to prove that you have some where to stay as a condition of travel or security
Thje rule regarding the accomodation voucher has always been there.There have been cases in the past where people have been refused boarding because they have no proof of where they are staying.It's illegal for charter airlines to take people to India without at least a one night voucher.

John
It does seem to be an issue at the point of departure rather than on arrival in India.

From what Thomson told us at the time, there had been a glitch in their system and tickets had been sent out with no reference to accommodation on them. The implication was that normally the ticket would have a reference to "Goa Explorer" on it to comply with the law.

Take any emails you have regarding your accommodation with you to the airport - they should be sufficient proof. Sure, they could be purely fictitious but so could the confirmation of hotel or resort booking. No one actually checks them in the normal course of events (as far as I'm aware) it's just lip service to the legal requirement.
Just an update on this problem - flew with Monarch again this season from Manchester, and was not asked for proof of accomodation, 1st time thats happened..
In the 9 times I've been I've never been asked for proof of accommodation ;)
Like whats been stated though, is it worth turning up without, and then not being allowed to board ? Have always thought this to be a dumb rule when you have been granted a visa telling them where you are staying.
Anyone booking flight only should always be given a voucher for 1 nights accomodation - those that don't get one should always get in touch with the ticket supplier asap.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.