Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
PS how much money should we take for two weeks?
hi,you cannot get rupees in uk.just take travellers chequeues,or sterling
Hi Jodenice :)

I got back a couple of weeks ago from my first trip - it was wonderful :) Make sure you get out & eat at the beach shacks - the food is fabulous & the staff will look after you really well. The Horizon at Calangute is good - best prawn biryani we have ever had, and the Travellers Rest at Baga is good too. You can spend all day at the shacks - the sun loungers are free as long as you buy the odd drink :wink:

You're not allowed to take rupees into or out of India. I took some sterling cash & sterling travellers cheques in small denominations (£50 & £20) because at around 84 rupees to the pound you can end up with a huge wad of notes if you're not careful! I spent less than £250 in two weeks - that included meals, drinks, taxis, overnight accommodation for a couple of nights in other areas, a 3 day trip to Hampi by train and most of the gifts I brought back :shock: We ate at beach shacks for the most part, although we tended to have breakfast at the hotel as it was included.

We changed travellers cheques at our hotel as the exchange rate was exactly the same as we saw advertised elsewhere & this meant we didn't have to cart our passports around.

It was hot when we were there & I expect it'll be even hotter in Jan. Casual seems to be the rule & loose clothing is probably better as it helps keep you cooler. There's usually a nice sea breeze though which stops it becoming too oppressive. We were advised not to go much more than waist deep in the sea as there is a very strong undertow & it's easy to get dragged out. It's lovely & warm, though & it's great fun just riding the waves into shore - try not to graze your knees like my sis in law did!

Hope that's helpful & have a brilliant holiday :)
Hi

I agree with nearly everything Zanettie has said, re money- 1st time we went we took cash, sterling travellers cheques & rupees. We have bought rupees twice in England from Ilkston travel they will sell you £50 per person. However we only take cash now & usualy bring some rupees home with us (hide it in suitcase) for next visit.

The rate in the hotels that we've stayed as not been as good as the shops outside. What you have to remember is that if you lose cash then its gone whereas travellers cheques are a safer bet, did notice though that there was a charge when changing cheques into rupees but don't know what it was.

I'm sure you'll love Goa & like the rest of us will return again & again.
Oh thank you all for your replies! I never knew that about rupees so that will stop me looking daft at the Beareau de Change! We've only got about £150 but will not be doing as much as you did so I guess this will be OK! We will have to live a little more frugally! Has anyone stayed around Baga and is it nice? :lol:
We stayed in Baga, Jodenice. We were at Sea View Cottages, which is tucked away near the beach at the end of Tito's Lane. I thought Baga was fine although it is very busy. There are lots of shops & bars & plenty of activity. Have to say I'd stay somewhere a bit quieter if I went again. Bernard's is on a side road leading down to the beach.

Try a trip out to Ashvem and/or Morjim beach while you're there, even if you don't stay overnight. It's not expensive at all by taxi & it is really beautiful there - very peaceful & relaxed but there are places to eat & drink. Make sure you arrange your return taxi though, as they don't hang around there. Always agree your taxi fare in advance & don't accept the first offer :wink:

We must have been lucky with the hotel so far as exchanging money went - the rate was definitely as good as what we saw advertised outside & they didn't charge commission on travellers cheques.

I forgot to mention vaccinations before - you're recommended to have jabs against hepatitis A & typhoid and to make sure your polio, tetanus & diptheria jabs are up to date. Health professionals also recommend taking anti malarials - this is a matter of choice & some people don't. We did & I had no side effects if I was careful to take them immediately after eating. A good site to read up more is:
http://www.masta.org/
Have a look at the chat room/forum - most of your questions will probably be answered on there.
Ok thanks for all your advice, especially you Zanettie! One last question - and then I'll shut up and sit back I promise! Do vaccinations cost a lot of money? I looked at the website you reccommended and its useful but can't find costings...
If you ring your local doctor's surgery a nurse will do all of the jabs in a few minutes. I don't know if they charge where you live but they don't in Blackburn. They're all [fairly] painless, Rick.
I think it varies from surgery to surgery - I had to pay for the typhoid jab but not for tetanus/diptheria as it's a standard immunisation for everyone. I didn't need HepA as I had it a few years ago but I think I paid for it then. I paid the normal prescrition charge for the typhoid jab & had to collect it from the chemist.

My friends, who live in the same town but go to different surgeries, didn't have to pay at all :?
Brilliant, thank you all of you. Am totally looking forward to it - even more so after reading all of the posts and the enthusiasm you all have for the place. Happy New Year! :D
Good Choice of accomodation. Have not stayed at Bernards but at C.S.M. 100 m down the lane.
Bernards is a very friendly restaraunt and has a great tandoori,Staff cannot do enough for you. If you must endulge then they do some of the best English Roasts around, including Yorkshire puddings. K.C.s bar just opposite is a lively Scottish Bar which also offers some great trips. Just follow the lane down to the beach and ........ OH heck can't wait until 27th Jan and i'll be doing it again myself ...... Just go with the flow and enjoy it,
hi, just got back yesterday after 3 glorious weeks, for money i'd take about £100 to get you through the first few days, you can change it virtually anywhere, good rates to, i was getting 84.3 to the £. Then use ATM's there's plenty about, just take out what you need for a few days at a time, there's 3 or 4 in Candolim not sure how many in Baga and Calangute. As for the weather it started off hot in early Dec and the last few days got even hotter, mid 90's in the shade. I had no mozzie bites at all this time which is very unusual for me but did see i few spotty legs around. As for the sea I'd be a little careful Candolim beach has some strong currents and powerful waves, not sure about Calangute and Baga.
One more thing, resort reps and some hotels are collecting any unwanted clothes and cash for the tsunami disaster so please give generously.
open a nationwide account cost nothing to withdraw from the atm dont give more than 1 pound to the porters at the airport if you get a cab from the airport they can stop at a atm but proberbly they will say dont worry sort it out later please beware of the culture shock give it 2 days then you will love it you will have a great time
as this is a reply to a very old thread I think I should lock just incase others add to it thinking they are helping the OP.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.