Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Holiday Spends
5 Posts
We always take cash ( savings ) plus my bank card and credit card. I try to get a new card with zero interest every year, pay for the holiday with it then if anything goes wrong i can pass it back to the card company, also it gives you time to pay for the holiday over the year rather than pull the full amount out of the bank account.

As for spending limit, we keep a eye on what we spend on a daily basis but still enjoy ourselves, if i had to do without an Effes when i wanted one,it would be a poor holiday.

Mind it is only a few years ago that you could eat,drink and shop as much as you wanted to and still not spend all your money! bring back the good old days with the old turkish lira, its the only way i will ever be a millionare :rofl

Regards
Alan

:sun2 :sun2 :sun2
We try to save a bit each month so that we're not struggling or restricting ourselves while we're away although for the last couple of months before we go we do end up putting every spare penny to the holiday spends. Having said that, I quite like to budget a bit while we're there so we don't overspend the first week and then be more restricted the second week. I think the idea of the 14 envelopes sounds fab - when your envelope for that day is empty it's time for bed and if you save a bit one day you can have a blow out the next day. I mentioned the idea to hubby tho' and he looked at me as if I had lost my marbles!!

Polly
two years ago i went to marmaris for 2 weeks, and like your mum, split the money up into 14 envelopes, kept it in the safe that was in reception... never again, half way through our hols 3 envelopes went missing, and we ran out of money befor coming home, with 3 kids in tow it was no laughing matter! :(
this time i will be taking a couple of hundred pounds in cash, then use my credit card to get cash out of the machines every couple of days..
I always buy the money tins that you cant open and put all my loose change in and now have 2 full tins that i can open with a can opener before i go away in 2 weeks! :tup
To answer question number 1. We don't have a holiday savings fund but we are regular savers and put anything we have spare at the end of the month in our savings account. I used to transfer money into my current account when it was time to pay for the holiday but have more recently been willing to pay an extra charge to use my Credit Card (for peace of mind). However, I would not book a holiday if I didn't already have money in the bank to pay off the card straight away.

2. We take a couple of hundred pounds worth of foreign currency to see us through the first few days and then withdraw cash from the ATMs. We have a good idea on how much the holiday spends will be, based on previous hols and research on here and various holiday websites. We probably do check at the end of the first week that we're not too much over budget but tbh, we rarely are. My motto is if we want something on hols we get it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.