Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Holiday spends
15 Posts
I think that should be plenty of money if you are AI, although it depends on the trips as thinks like Cairo and Luxor are expensive, although I wouldn't do those from Sharm with your children anyway as its too much travelling.

You are probably better off taking your money in Sterling and changing it when you are there as you seem to get a better rate. Trips will be expensive especially through your TO, but some people prefer the security of using their TO rather than a local company. If you do book your trips with your holiday rep you can put them on a card if you ahve one which then leaves you cash for eating out and tips.
As you are going for 2 weeks I would wait a few days and see what people round the pool have to say about trips, you might be able to get some recommendations and work out what best suits you.

One of the other things to watch out for if you do eat out, is the cost of wine and branded alcohol as obviously most is imported, so expensive.

Doe :sun2
Thanks Doe you have put my mind at rest and I won't need to save up for any more holiday spends :tup , all the more money to spend on new holiday clothes ;) .
Also big thanks for the tips so excited can't wait :rofl .
You certainly wont need much money, unless you are doing loads of trips as there is nothing to spend it on !
I always take £500 for 2 weeks and end up spending about £150 and most of that is on tipping and a couple of trips.
So it really is great value :)
I agree Phyll.

I think we only spend £500 when we went for a week a few years ago and we had only stayed Bed and Breakfast!

That was 2 adults & 2 teens, no trips, but all our lunches, dinners, drinks (although we aren't big alcohol drinkers) and a few cabs, back and forth to Namma Bay. Also included a meal at the Hard Rock which is quite expensive by Sharm standards.
We only ever take £150-200 . We spend a lot more on diving but that comes from a seperate fund and I tend to pay what I can in advance for that. I dont think you will need anything like £1000 and if you do any big trips you can use a card .

I agree with chris , take it in sterling . That way you will get a better rate there and you will only cash up what you need. spend it on clothes instead. :)
Only money we spent was on tips, didn't do trips just lazy week, bought few kaftans and scarves about £100
Thanks guys you have all put my mind at rest, the money is their if I need it and what I don't spend I can always put down as a deposit for my next holiday ;) .
Folks .. im off to Sharm in July and was reading the topic on currency ... can someone please confirm then that it is better to take Sterling and exchange over there ?? ive heard that you loose out on currncy rate here and then its £1 = EY10 over there .. so your losing twice ?? is this true ??

THanks in advance ....

Kev
only took 50 in Egyptian, then sterling. Shops in hotel accepted sterling for shopping
Hi Kev,

We have been to Egypt 5 times (6th come August) and we always take sterling over with us and exchange to EGP when over there as you will receive about 10% more for your money.

Also worth mentioning, if you intend to use the Duty Free shop at Sharm airport, everyting is priced in USD, and I would advise you to pay in USD otherwise they will exchange currency to their advantage.

Regards,
Pat
thanks pat ... were only going for 10 days but were not going to do excursions etc only a few nights to Naama ... would you think about £300-400 is fair cop as were going A/I??
Hi Kev,

I would say £300-£400 would be plenty to eat out a few times in Naama Bay. Having said that, when we do venture out to Naama Bay to eat we normally go to the Hard Rock Cafe (usually 2/3 times during our 2 week holiday) It isn't cheap by Egyptian standards but is by ours.

If you log into Trip Advisor there is an abundance of information on there that will be of great helps to you. There are Destination Experts on that site that have been to Sharm numberous times and they will be able to advise you regarding restaurants/prices.

Hope the above helps and happy holidays!

Best wishes,
Pat
cheers pat .. ive been on TA a few times to check out the rating of our hotel etc ... but it cant answer daft questions that people on this can ?

yeah well take about £400 then .. were not planning on excursions but will go to Hard Rock/TGI's etc etc ???
first time we took £600 for the 2 weeks and that was us paying for excersions from that aswell for 2 weeks that also bought any egyptian souvniers we wanted, second time we looked in sharm club seen what we wanted to do in advance kept a seprate kitty for that and took £300 and still had about £80 left on way home.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.