Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Just in off my last night shift before travelling to hvrs on Monday ( big grin ), what is it best to tip with?
Read on some forums that the locals cannot change pound coins and prefer being tipped dollar bills.

Cheers

Jim
hello alll :)
ive provisionaly booked today,goin tommorow to pay the deposits
just wondered where the entertainment is held whats it like?are there tables to sit at?
we r goin with a 5,3 and 1 year old
Jim

Have a fab holiday - we tipped in UK pound coins and notes for the pool guys - they swapped coins with us at the end of the week for a tenner note.

Troops

Entertainment is in an open air amphi theatre no seats or tables just sit on thr floor which is stepped down and fairly steep for kids, most people took the sunbed mattresses down with them to make it bearable to sit down.
We are going on Monday and really looking forward to it. We were planning on booking trips with Pete at St Georges Bar as feedback has been good. However, read some poor reviews on another site and want to know if anyone has used them recently? Also, has anyone stayed in the interconnecting rooms and what are they like?

Thanks
Katherine :)
Katherine,
I'm going to the HV on the 8th, and am currently planning to do my trips with Pete - but I haven't seen these latest reviews yet !
Can you point me in the right direction ?
Hi, it was on the Trip Advisor website when I looked earlier on in the week. There were posts noted as being taken off but not sure why? Also, I have just been back on and weirdly I cannot find any of the negative reviews I read earlier on in the week, I now even more confused about what to do!
I think they were posts about people who had paid but were not being picked up to go on trips and also about questionable insurance, but TA has removed them, in fairness they (TA)did also remove the posts from the people recommending as well in case they were connected and promoting either their own or a friends business in a covert way.
Thank you for the info. I was starting to question myself about what I had read on the other website and if I had dreamt it. I think we are going to hold off until we get there with regards to booking trips and see what people are saying at the resort.
Good idea. I know going with the Uk travel companys like First Choice can cost about a third more, but sometimes its worth it for peace of mind.
hi there coming to the hv on tuesday,does the hotel have wifi anywhere in its grounds,thanks
  • Edited by Fiona 2009-06-28 15:38:01
    to edit out text speak as per T@Cs
can anyone tell me what the weather is like in may and also are the pools cold in may, thanks
Does anybody have any advice for what to ue for tipping ? We leave on Friday
The pools are lovely in May,not too cold but it is so hot its nice to get in to cool water.

I think its best to tip in egyptian as if you tip in £1 coins they can't change up the money. They then have to find guests to change their coins for them.

Just a little note about the ampitheatre, you are not allowed to take the sunbed mattresses down now,if you do the bar staff will come and ask for them back.
We have booked to go back next June can't wait.
with regards to tipping, what do you think is a fair tip ? Think we'll take loads of pond coins and dollar bills just to be sure
We're just about to book the HV for Xmas and new Year. We're booking a family room so our 2 yr old can be in a seperate room - can someone tell me if the family den rooms have baths as the FC website said they do not but the hotels own website shows a room plan with a bath. Hope someone can confirm for me.

many thanks
Hi

Can anyone tel me if:
*There is a cash machine close to the HV?
*Do reception take Visa/CC?
* Or if paying cash for hotel bill Egyptian pounds or $?

Thank you, going next week.
hi there is a cash machine in the lobby of hotel also the bank is within 10 mins walk from hotel.
the reception will take any currency
Just back at one this morn ,fantastic place could not fault it in any way. nothing at all for any one to worry about apart from the heat 40+ every day.
Review to follow.

Jim
We are just back today after two weeks at the Holiday Village Sharm and we had a fantastic time. I travelled with my husband, two boys (10 & 4) and my mother in law. I will attempt to break it down it to different sections to try and cover everything.

Room
We were all in standard rooms in block 10, I was in one room with my husband and one of the children and my mother in law was a couple of rooms along from us with my other son. We were on the ground floor and could walk out our back door and was 30 seconds from the quiet pool which we went to every day. The rooms were massive, very clean and had everything that we required of a room. The cleaner was very good and was in everyday, he was always polite when we seen him and nothing was too much trouble. We did have chocolate about of the bar and I think we paid £5 for 5 bars but knew it was going to be a little more expensive.

We had e-mailed the manager Raymy about the allocations of rooms a few weeks before hand due to my mothe in law having difficulty walking and needing to ensure that her room in particular was ground floor. There was no problems what so ever with the request and the staff couldn't have been more helpful.

Food
We enjoyed all the food in the various A La Cartes and the main restaurant. The favourite was the Indian but all offered exceptional service and good food. The main restaurant is very busy first thing in the evening so we started to wait until the 2nd sitting at 8pm ish.

Pools
We stayed at the Quiet Pool most of the time with an occasional visit to the main pool. It tended to be alot easier to get a sun bed at the quiet pool and the staff there are really helpful. The staff always tried to ensure that they got us the same spot everyday, even though we didn't mind where it was. We gave them a small tip at the beginning but I feel with most of the staff at the resort that they enjoyed the banter and want people to treat them as they would expect to be treated themselves as unfortunately there are those who were rude.

Service
The staff within the hotel were exceptional and there was never any issues. The staff always ensured that the help was given to my mother in law and were always chatty and friendly with all of us.

Trips
We booked our trips with Aquarius who are based at the beach but there are a couple of guys who walk around the pool. We booked with X (yep, his nickname). He was very helpful and came back to check that everything had been okay. We did the Tiran Island trip where my husband and eldest son did two dives and I did the snorkelling. The staff were very helpful on the boat and spoke with my mother in law and youngest son when we were in the water. My husband and eldest son did the two day Padi course booked with Aquarius and really enjoyed it and will do the Open Water course when we go back.

There are so many things to mention that were great about the hotel including the reps, swimming lessons etc but I would be here all night. We all enjoyed our stay and will be returning next December as we found the weather too hot on our recent stay and that is coming from someone who loves the sun usually! Pack spray for the mosqitoes as they are out in force, tablets for upset tummies (this happened a couple of times but we were not unwell with it), change your money when you are out there (the rate was 9% compared to 7% ish here). We also brougt jewellery from both the silver and gold shop and were really happy with the goods and the price but haggle.
:cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.