Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
hotel Gergana
14 Posts
Hi sereanabbeysa,

Welcome to the board!

I take it that you mean the Gergana in Albena? Our reviews are not very recent.

At least some East Midlands flights to Varna are operating via Manchester, according to a test booking which I just made on the Balkan Holidays website for 5th-12th July:

" Please note the inbound flight from
Varna to East Midlands will operate
via Manchester Airport and will touch
down for approximately 60 minutes to
pickup/dropoff passengers.

You will need to check for your dates.

Baldur
Thanks Buldar
Not too worried about a stop over, more concerned that we'll get flown into Bourgas and bussed to Albena, thats the whole reason we went for east midlands rather than any of the southwest airports
Sarah x
Hi Sarah,

I havn't spotted any signs of the Burgas-Varna-Albena transfer 'shuffle' from East Midlands (at least not yet), unlike flights from Bristol, Cardiff, etc.

Baldur
Can't speak for Balkan I'm afraid, but look at the reviews for the Albena Beach club which is the sister hotel- the two really run as one and infact all the entertainment is at the Gergana, it also has the larger freeform pool. We went last year and really liked it, the location is fabulous and if you can get a sea view it is lovely. Like with any holiday it depends what you want out of it, but I was seriously worried before we went as well and was tempted to move- I was very glad we didn't!!

Pam :)
Thanks Pam thats reassuring, we are all quite easy going and not the least bit fussy, as long as its clean and food is edible, thats great, all else is a bonus, the beach looks terrific. how did you find the rooms, we have booked some family rooms and some twins with sea view.
Sarah
Hi Sarah

We had a two bed apartment, which was just brilliant. It was on the top floor and sitting out on the balcony overlooking the sea was lovely. Every night the riding school trek down the beach, we did it ourselves which was brilliant, even got my husband on a horse. Also do the jeep safari- it was such a laugh, haven't had so much fun in ages and suitable for adults and kids alike, just be sure to wear clothes you are happy to throw away! If you have kids with you the entertainment team were fab, for personality and friendliness they can't be beaten, the kids loved them.

You won't be stuck for things to do, try turning right along the beach (with your back to the hotel) and walk to Kranevo. You'll find prices are cheaper there and a taxi back was only about 10 lev, if like us you were too tired to walk home again.

I hope you enjoy it- it certainly was very clean and we really liked the food.

Pam :)
Hi Pam
Thanks so much for that, its very reassuring. We have 7 adults and 9 children going ages ranging from 4 to 16, so we're glad to hear there's plenty to do. My daughter and my niece love horse riding so the trekking is a must now they,ve read your review. Thankyou so much for your info,

Sarah
Hi, We have just returned from the Gergana yesterday flying out from East Midlands. The outbound flight actually came from manchester. people got off at EM and we got on flying to Varna. 40 minute transfer to hotel. The return flight is to Manchester then on to EM. I asked to get off in Manchester as can't handle two take offs etc and they changed the ticket no charge,
The hotel is really nice and having stayed in Albena twice previously I can compare it quite well with the other 4 star we stayed in (Railitsa)We had a sea view room which was very nice. Sun on the balcony til about 1pm. The other side side faces a Protected Natural area which has frogs croaking and calling all night and is very very very noisy but you get the sun in the afternoon. Carpets on floors in room and in corridors which helped keep any noise to a minimum. We had a bath (difficult to get in and out of as was high up) in our bathroom which was in part B of the hotel, some in part A only had showers. Food is varied but on the cool side as this is how bulgarians like theirs. Good mix of meats and salads, lots of fresh fruit and bread every day. Snack bar has pizza chips sausage etc. Ice cream on tap for the kids (and me) 4 bars. good pool entertainment of sorts. Little train to town 2.5 levs each (£1+) each way but you can walk along the beach. Kranevo the other way is cheaper and you walk past a nudist beach to get there!!!!!! Not a pretty sight!. Lots of Germans as usual, but we had a few Belgians which balanced it out. I would recommend the hotel to anyone. Albena has changed in the 4 years we've been going and perhaps not for the better pricewise but on the whole for what we paid we cannot grumble at all. Not going next year as the price has jumped by £400 to go 6 days later!!!!!!
Lots of Germans as usual, but we had a few Belgians which balanced it out.
I do hope that this was in a positive way..

Last year I stayed also in the (S/M) hotel and because we had a large room (read 2 chambers) we had a nice time on both balconies watching the thunderstorm above the sea..fantastic!
My holidaypartner had a crush on the resto: the cakes, the fruit, french fries, fish, meat...all delicious and with a lot of varie (mix)
Only minus point (my opinion) that those 2 little 'bassins' should be 1 giant pool.

The strolling along the sea to Kranevo is nice (there was no sunshine to watch the nudists at that time so didn't bother at all) and those typical souvenirs -like a brown traditional cup- are cheaper there.
Ask for the taxi to get you back to Albena busstation, the cheapest way ;)

Enjoy your holiday!
gr Tanjette (from Belgium)
wow, thanks for all the great information guys, really looking forward to it now, thankyou all so much
Sarah
Anybody been to this hotel through August 2008, would appreciate knowing what its like in high season as i've booked for aug 2009
Thanks
sarah
Hi Sarah

I've just posted a review of Hotel Gergana.
Thanks loads for that, it reads great. That settles my mind a bit
Cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.