Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
We stayed in a suite last year. It was lovely. You had your own sunbeds (no need to put towels out early)in the privaten garden and you just went through a gate onto the beach for a swim and back to your sunbed.
The suites were huge with 3 bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen with a huge fridge and cooking utensils(not that we used them, large lounge and a balcony both front and back. Wine in the fridge and fruit on the table and bathrobes all ready for when you arrive. I would definately stay there again.
If you haven't done so would you please add your report of your stay at this hotel HERE

Many thanks........these reports assist future visitors to this hotel.
:wave
Hi all

Have been looking at this hotel for next years hols. Seems to get very good reviews especially the food and drink and also only a stones throw from a beautiful beach.

But apparently it used to be a Thomson Gold but since it went AI it is no longer a Gold.

There do seem to be some differing views from people who went to this hotel when it was a gold as they dont give very good reviews is this just sour grapes because its no longer gold?

It sounds just what we are looking for although no longer gold it is still adults only and its AI which is what we prefer and the location sounds great.

Any advice?

Thanks Dawn
Hi Dawn, I have read many, many reviews on the Platja Dor as we are going to this hotel in September/October. We changed yesterday from another hotel when I found out it was completely non-smoking, even in your rooms....... :yikes . The majority are very good reports, so I do think that some are sour grapes lol. I'm taking a chance anyway. I will post a review as soon as I come back........love Linda xxx
Hi Linda

Look forward to reading what you think

Piccies would be great as well.

Have a great holiday

Dawn
Hi all

We're booked to go to this hotel in July and would welcome any thoughts and insights from previous visitors. We've read all the various reviews (mainly good, some - as usual - not so) but not every visitor writes a review do they!

Thanks

Rob and Diane :sun2
Hi Rob and Dianne,

:sun2 My husband and I are going to the Platja D'or on the 22nd June for 2wks. this will be our second visit. We absolutely loved it last year! The hotel is adults only, most people are over 50. We are both in our late 30's and really enjoyed our first holiday without the kids. The hotel is directly opposite the beach, food is great, good quality ( A little bit repetative). Entertainment wasn't fantastic, but not bad either. We loved it here as it was a great place to totally chill out. We met some lovely people who visit the hotel year after year, so it can't be that bad. I did have a problem with the mossies, but i'm going well prepared this year.

If you want to know ANYTHING else, just ask

Sharon :tup
Hi Sharon

Thanks for the reply. You've certainly got us looking forward to our holiday even more, (as if we needed help!).

Could you possibly let us know the best rooms to book as one or two reviews make the point that the pool/ main-road side is quite noisy. We can't seem to find any photos that make the layout of the hotel clear. Are there side-sea views? Is it extra for a sea-view?

We're full of questions because we booked direct through the Thompson website and our confirmation just says "twin room with balcony."

Rob and Diane
The hotel is parallel to the main road, so that one side of the hotel is the road/mountain side, and the other side is the sea side

but there aren't tremendous views of the sea because there are pine trees all along at the back of the beach, which block the view a bit.......

however this does give some lovely shade on the beach ;)
We went here for 2 summers while it was still Thomson Gold, and not AI, and we liked it then. If you like the beach, you are really spoilt as it is just a trot over a quiet cul-de-sac and though the pine woods. if you prefer to stay at the hotel, then if you run out of room by the pool, there are large gardens in the hotel, so plenty of room for sun beds.
HI Rob and Dianne,
We are going on the 17th july! We have been to this hotel 3 times now and love it !
Yes the food can be a bit repetitive but you will always find something to eat in fact you tend to eat too much!!
We have found you are better off with a room on the top floor . The rooms have quite thin walls and you hear people from the floors above when walking about etc . Last year there was a dog who barked alot across the road so if it is still there you might be better off asking for a room away from it as it annoyed lots of people last year! The seaview isn't any extra and its much nicer that side apart from that dog lol. There are no side seaviews. As Sharon said there are lots of trees in the way!!
As Sharon again said the beach is wonderful and if you are in need of a chilling holiday this is the hotel to be at!!
You never know we might see you there!!
Hope you have a lovely holiday!!
Hiya Rob and Dianne,

Denise is right,the walls are thin! This didn't really worry us, as u expect it really. We stayed in a pool veiw room last time and have requested the same again. It's also the road side, I didn't find it too noisy, I enjoyed having things to look at.

I heard about the dog, but thankfully didn't hear it.

You will always find something to eat, The food is good. We have been to lots of AI hols and the food here is one of the best (Well it was last year).

The rooms are quite small, but you only need it to sleep in don't you?. Plenty of hanging space for clothes. You also have a fridge. The only thing I missed was a kettle, not having a cuppa when you wake up, so I will be taking a travel kettle this year.

They also have an area in the entrance where peple leave books, mags, shampoo, sun lotion etc (things they don't wanna take home) I found that useful-especially when I ran out of mossie spray.

I can't wait, only 10 more days!

o to chill!!

Sharon xxx
Hi my parents are staying at this hotel in june for 2 weeks, could someone let me know what local beer do they serve with the all inclusive is it san miguel??

Yes I'm positive it is san miguel (oops excuse spelling) They used to also serve international brands at a supplement. They do bottled San mig in the restaurant at lunch and dinner, also bottled wine.

Sharon

3more days then sunshine (we hope!)
thanks for the info, i'll pass on to the inlaws they fly out next thursday from manchester, so they will probably be there the same time as you.
Have a great time, I myself go to Ibiza on the friday so 1 week today I'll be very excitable
hi
have been looking at this hotel has anyone been just lately , i have not been to alcudia for a good few years and quite fancy it for next year .is this hotel far out from everything or within walking distance . any advice would be greatly appreciated :cheers
thanks myra :thanks
Myra, the Platja d'Or is on the way out of Alcudia towards Playa de Muro. As such, it's about 20 minutes walk, roughly 2 kilometres, from the Bellevue part of Alcudia and at least double that to the port. Opposite the hotel are a couple of bars and the Eroski supermarket, and that's about it. Playa de Muro and its restaurants/bars would be closer.
thanks andrew
i like a bit quiet but not to remote as i like to trail round the shops if i want :thanks
hi
has anyone stayed in one of there suites as have now decided that i like this hotel after reading the reviews i know it's a bit out the way but i need the excercise anyway. i would be greatful for any advice .
:thanks myra, :wave:
The suites are situated in villas across a little road from the main hotel.
they have a brilliant location right by the sea, and gardens as well

but you have to go into the main hotel for meals/drinks etc.
(the road is not busy)

and a few years ago there was a problem with security (locks/ground floor access/windows etc.)
but this may be resolved now, so don't let that put you off, but you might like to find out about it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.