DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
Most of the bigger companies don't have their flights up until around 10 months before the flight date, so you probably are looking a little early. Also DIY isn't always the cheapest. You will need to shop around. Price your holiday up in the brochure, then price up DIY with different companies.Easter 2007 we went to Costa Del Sol DIY as it was much cheaper than anything we'd seen in the brochures. This year we went on a package holiday to Benidorm with Direct Holidays,as it was a lot cheaper than DIY. You have to spend a bit of time shopping around.
yep probly am lookin a little 2 soon regarding flights. just wana book evrythin so its done and dusted! maybe i'll wait till mid-late july what flights are like then!. thankyou!
Of course it is more expensive to book so far in advance. The airline companies have just thrown their doors open for June 2010 and anybody naive enough to take the hook will be reeled in silently and deadly. Wail until around mid November before booking flights, apartment or hotel. Then your problem will be which cheap DIY holiday do I take? But, keep an eye on the Travel Agents also (but, if you can wait for late March and April when they reduce prices for package holidays).

Nowadays, booking a holiday is like playing poker, keep a straight face, an open mind and most important - keep your chips on the table in front of you and THINK!
ive booked with tomson, got quite a good deal. £1020 for 2 adults 1 child in the club aida apartments for 2 weeks with good flights aswell! the apartments have great reviews and we all have 20kg luggage which is good :tup alot of people are paying between 1100-1300 thanks anyway for all your help :cheers
Nowadays, booking a holiday is like playing poker, keep a straight face, an open mind and most important - keep your chips on the table in front of you and THINK!

It shouldn't be, it should be a pleasurable thing to do. If I were you, I'd go with a package. Less hassle, quicker to book, and most of the time, cheaper. And most of the time, I can go where I want, and when I want, stay in what resort I want, and also what accommodation I want.

Maybe 2/3 years ago DIY was thing to do, and yes you could save alot by going DIY. But I think times have changed, and DIY is no longer the cheaper option. In fact, I think the tables have turned, and package holidays are more popular now.
I can go online right this minute and book a 2 week package hoilday for my wife and I for not much more than £500, and spend a lot less time and money doing so.
Nice post Intervoice and I agree with much of what you are saying. Of course, you can book the cheapest of the cheap in package holidays, but what do you get only a squat apartment with music til 8.00am from the disco underneath. By the way airconditioning and television will be extra.

Sensible DIY holidays were and still are the better value although you will have to go to the enormous trouble to book your transfers. But, if you want crowded swimming pools and rising at 5.00am to book sunbeds and cramped conditions with crowded man made beaches and a view from your 40th floor apartment, I'm sure you local travel agent will help.
thanks. all good advice. (intervoice) i have booked a package holiday self catering as ive got a young child and its my first time ever booking a holiday so thought it would be better on the safe side this time and as you say theres no hassle and you can still choose everything you want! (leprosy) i also totally agree with your post and made that mistake. booked a holiday with travel agents and when i got home i didnt like it atall because of the points you made and a few more. so looked and looked for a holiday that was for me and found somewhere that shouldnt have them problems ( well hopefully)

Thanks for all your advice! :cheers
Leprosy wrote:
Of course it is more expensive to book so far in advance. The airline companies have just thrown their doors open for June 2010 and anybody naive enough to take the hook will be reeled in silently and deadly.

Do you really think that is true?? I've just booked flights for Jul/Aug 2010 - first DIY for me, so am hoping I haven't been 'naive'. Have booked 4 return seats to Menorca for the first 2 weeks of the school summer holidays. Having looked at prices of flights during school hols for the last 2 years I have never seen flights as cheap as we have paid regardless of when I looked. I think in some terms your comments may be true but as we all know people who have to book school hol time always have to pay a premium and this is true of package hols also.

intervoice wrote:
Maybe 2/3 years ago DIY was thing to do, and yes you could save alot by going DIY. But I think times have changed, and DIY is no longer the cheaper option. In fact, I think the tables have turned, and package holidays are more popular now.
I can go online right this minute and book a 2 week package hoilday for my wife and I for not much more than £500, and spend a lot less time and money doing so.

Again, if you are restricted to peak times and are bothered as to where you go you will not get a decent cheap holiday. Last 2 years for me packages have worked out cheaper. For 2010 I have already booked flights and privately owned apartment in a complex in Menorca. The package through first choice is nearly £2800, I've paid over £900 less for what is a much better equipped apartment.

I just think you have to look at all the options available and keep an open mind.
i also think it depends on where your going. im going to turkey. my family go spain and turkey alot and usually find flights alot cheaper to spain.
There is nothing deadly about booking flights as soon as they're released, for the last three years I have done this and the price has never been cheaper than what I have originally paid.
We have been booking DIY to Turkey for the last 6 years now.We go with friends and have booked our flights for June again next year,we ahve booked our apartments direct with the owner and he arranges a private minibus for us,total cost each for all is £275,The same holiday with Thomsons for the same apartments today is £333 each with a coach transfer,so we have saved £116 for the 2 of us.
wow thats really good. i couldnt seem 2 find cheap flights to be honest. but not used to booking flights and holidays so i obviously didnt look hard enough!
Just had a look at Thomsons again and the package cost has gone up to £342 each,flight only with them is £375!!!,we booked our flights with Aegeanflights the day they went on sale on 2nd June for £160 each,a budget airline,but we had plenty of legroom with them this year,a few flight changes prior to going,but no complaints.
well ive payed £1113 package holiday to turkey icmeler for 2 adults 1 child which includes - flights, transfers, 2 bed apartment, pre booked seats and in flight meals. dunno if thats gud or not but eitha way im happy :D
stef2009,I think you have got a good price,best to book early these days,we dont have pre booked seats or meals,and 2 bed apartments do cost more,as time goes on prices for packages dont seem to come down any more.
As an agent myself, 95% of our bookings are dynamically packaged (DIY so to speak), however, at the moment, we are also comparing packages, as although DIY looks cheaper to begin with, by the time you add everything in, some places works out easier and the same, if not cheaper to book a package.

Personally i prefer to book a package and i allways look to see if can get something, especially in Greece / Turkey / Cyprus and Egypt. If i know an operator does the hotel i allways have a look at a package, just soo much easier to book and everything is with one company.

DIY does normally come cheaper in some cases, but with the current market there are some fantastic deals to be had with the tour operators so allways have a look at both.

As a general rule, i would say if you are happy with the price, book it. Soo many people are booking very last minute at the moment i am flooded with enquiries and bookings going within the next few weeks but there is not allways the choice you want in booking late.
Also with money being tight this year, many are also booking far ahead, as a company whereby 90% of our sales were immediate departures, the tables are turning and for sep/oct, we are well ahead compared to last year (most of these were booked back in may time where people were able to do a deposit and pay it off slowly).

Happy Holidays everyone
Heres a good example.Nov this year family of 5 to Fuerteventura Leeds Bradford airport Direct Hols £1422 my daughter paid.
My son couldn't get same accom with Direct Hols so he has done Flights Liverpool for 5 £310 all in no food.
Room £306 transfers £86 =£702.
My daughters (2 of them) are gutted.

Maryb
Thats good MaryB, i think i would be gutted aswell, probably cry.

Good example there whereby always have a look at both, some places it works much cheaper, others maybe not and the case above proves that.

Cheers
Sensible DIY holidays were and still are the better value although you will have to go to the enormous trouble to book your transfers. But, if you want crowded swimming pools and rising at 5.00am to book sunbeds and cramped conditions with crowded man made beaches and a view from your 40th floor apartment, I'm sure you local travel agent will help.

Well, sounds like a package to somewhere like Benidorm. I would say 95% of the places I have stayed at I have never had crowded swimming pools, I've never had to rise at 5:00 to book a sunbed, nor has the conditions been cramped. Oh, and the highest floor I've been on is the 3rd out of 4 floors.
FYI - Most sandy beaches are man made!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.