Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
rather not look at a fat bloke/woman wobbling down the street in nothing but shorts and a bikini, but if they aren't causing me harm, or interfering directly with me then they should be free to do so

Likewise, it's their problem if they can't take a serious look in the mirror and see that it's not really an attractive look. Probably out of all tourists the British seem to be good at that (there are a few other guilty parties).

:offtop

On a lighter note I used to laugh when taxi drivers shouted at myself and partner 'hey slim people do you want a taxi', (that was a compliment as I was a good few .lbs overweight at the time). In the same conversation, they enquired 'why are the British so fat'.
hey del 949.you speak for yourself.............. :rofl ......i have the body of a athelete......
I am sorry Fiona but the originating post was NOT about what the Goans think, although the link to the Herald was.

I have just read this in the Herald, and I am sure that 90% of us agree with what they are saying. I am often amazed by seeing the tourists (mainly British) walking around the town, and city centers, wearing little more than what they would wear in the bedroom at home

The follow up to the link appears to invite comments on wether or not 90% of us do agree. with what is said by the writer of the article.
I have only attempted to show that I am not one of the 90% who do agree with the author and have invited arguments to explain why others feel the way they do and then countered their argument with my own , explaining why I have these beliefs.
Surely that is what a forum is?
Ok - People from the UK should not walk around Calangute in anything less than they would walk round the Trafford Centre or Lakeside Shopping Centre in in summer. How many of you would walk around these places in little more than you would go to bed in? Bikinis with a see through wrap is not a good look for shopping especially if you are a bit on the plump side but if you are a size 8 you should also cover it up.
Men - well what more can I say - vests are not a good look when you have more than your fair share of fat round the middle - bandanas - they do not cover up your loss of hair - they look daft. As for the big gold chain - are you a scrap man?
We have a very good Goan businessman friend who we have known for many years and a couple of years ago he asked why so many UK people who now live or visit Goa look like "fishermen" When we asked him what he meant by this he said that lots of UK people who walk round Calangute look very poor and weary dirty clothes.
We always wear very good clothes which we buy in Calangute from the likes of Gypsie, Rangila and Fab India. (spelling may be wrong but easy to find) Wonderful clothes - all of them.
As we stay for 7 months I do take Primark T shirts and Asda shorts but buy most of my "going out" clothes from these lovely shops in Calangute and nice trousers can be bought from the shop just down from the round about where the Baga road meets Calangute High Street. It is just down on the left past the roundabout - I will be there in a couple of months so will give you the name and address.
Last season there was a wonderful shoe shop next door which exported to Top Shop etc. = hope we will be there this season as he had lots of brilliant bling shoes.
why so many UK people who now live or visit Goa look like "fishermen"

http://As for the big gold chain - are you a scrap man?

Very witty but also to a certain extent true :)
Unfortunatley some people are of the opinion its a "tourist place" i can wear waht i like, even in newtons or walking down the road, well its about respect for the people who live here and their religious beliefs, even i get offended by fat blobs or near naked people walking down the road with their body exposed and ive seen it all in my life time.
Even lying on the beach the indian guys are so amazed to see a body with no clothes on they stare but its not normal for them and they are not all perverts just curious and who can blame them, they proably dont even get to see their wifes bits!!!!
Ive only briefly (excuse the pun) looked through this topic, but its not a unique problem. Speedos in and around town, people looking baffled and Peed off when the taxi drivers ask them to put clothes on to get etc. May fav (most horrific) memory when i started my scuba instructors course in spain we have gone for a dive and looked up to see a gent doing his ...erm... lengths. not a pretty sight when we looked and saw his...................i'll stop right there.
How hard is it to respect a countries religion. be it muslim, catholic or whatever. PUT SOME PANTS ON! :really
It seems like our (British) brains get left behind when we go on foreign holidays and if it's India we think we are in the EEC.

:offtop Why would I hire an uninsured motorbike without having a licence in a country with no reciprocal health agreement? Hundred's do! Try telling that to any insurance company when you end up in hospital having to pay the bills yourself.
I've seen a number of posts on here of outraged people complaining about "pervy" Indians. All I can say is that says it all. Don't complain then if that happens and you've got your kit off. It happens because this is not in any way shape or form a part of the culture. And many of us offend the local culture to some degree or other, but then there are also degrees. Why was the swimming costume/bikini invented in our culture? And not everyone in our "culture" has even accepted you flash those bits walking down the high street doing a bit of shopping, or sunbathing in the local park. Talk about imposing your ways on others.

Mind, it's OK saying it's acceptable in the Med, so therefore it should be anywhere we want to go and spend. It wasn't in the Med before mass tourism arrived, and still isn't in many places (but it's OK, because we've saturated many places in Greece/Spain). But, they take our dollar, so we can ride as roughshod as we want. Including breaking all driving rules too, because we're "on holiday", so why should we carry a licence or wear a helmet. Not that our insurance companies take the same view.
*removed due to copyright*

Nudity and sex is not part of Indian culture?
We seem to be drifting away from discussion of the news article.
It will be interesting to see whether Goans will take any steps to enforce a minimum dress code for off the beach. Somehow I don't think they will- but I for one wouldn't object if they did.
I think the thread has just about run its course but will leave it open a little longer to see if there are new viewpoints.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.