Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I agree entierly it is one of my pet hates to see anyone in a
swimsuit walking round any puplic area.it is fine on the beach
but in stores and streets it looks terrible,
pat :sun2
I'm with the previous posters on this one, although I must say that I've found the Russian tourists this past year or so, to be by far, the worst offenders regards this. Alan
Much as I hate to agree with anything the Herald says, I have to agree with most of this. Over the last couple of years more and more men and women seem to be happy to walk around the street in bikinis or in the case of the men, bare chested. I do not feel that this is acceptable anywhare, but certainly not in Goa. We left a restaurant last year, when two swimsuit clad couples staggered in from the beach at 9 pm, and promptly had a drunken row, shouting and swearing at each other. Sadly the Goans were unable to cope with this, and rather than refusing them entry, tried to feed them as quickly as possible, presumably to get rid of them. Their big mistake was to give them more booze, which only made it worse. So I agree, keep it for the beach.
Absolutely agree!

There's nothing wrong with swimwear in the right place - which is on the beach or in the sea - not walking down any street or in any eating establishment.
It takes no time to pop on a sarong or any of the beach dresses that you can buy so cheaply nowaday.
Four tourists entered the Hotel Fidalgo coffee shop in Panjim, the gentlemen wearing beach shorts and vest tops, the ladies in mini sarongs and bikini tops. They were subjected to poor service from the staff, and raised eyebrows and sniggers from the other smartly dressed customers.
In a Colva restaurant, not on the beach, one Sunday afternoon, a couple are having a roast dinner, the male is bare chested, and badly sunburnt, it wasn't a pleasant sight to see burnt flesh, with bits peeling and falling off everywhere.
But none of these people seemed the least bit embarressed.
I agree it's just polite to cover up away from the beach x lassi
Totally agree. I happen to be lucky enough to live in a seaside town which many tourists visit. Being a 'local' I find it shocking to see bare chested men and bikini clad women walking up my high street or sitting outside coffee bars etc. Its all about respect for the locals and more importantly respect for your self.
I have to agree with all of the above also, there is a time and a place, and I don't mean to be a prude, but we should respect the culture of the country that we are visiting and it really doesn't take a lot to pop something more substantial on when leaving the beach/pool.
I totally agree with all the above, and I also think that the way some people even dress on the beach is not acceptable in Goa.

Considering that the local woman don;t even wear swim wear on the beach and go in the sea fully clothed, I think it is totally wrong for toursits to go topless or wear thongs !!

I am not a prude and have gone topless myself in places like Greece and Spain, were it is the norm and the locals do it too. But I think it is totally disrespectful of the Indian culture for toursits to dress that way on the beaches in Goa. No wonder so many Indian men choose Goa as their holiday destintation and spend the whole time gauping at women on the beach !!
I have to agree with this, we are in a different country, and we should respect the people who live there.

Although, i do not really see many british women walking around with just bikini tops and bottoms off the beach, i do see a lot of british men without wearing a top, with their big beer belly hanging over their stupid red flower shorts.

It isnt just us brits guilty of this, i have seen lots of other people, russians, germans, wearing a very small bikini top and a thong walking along the beach.
Totally agree - shorts and t shirt to beach and back from beach - no need for bikini tops of men without shirts. Lets how the Goans a bit of respect
And please could there be a ban on elderly men wearing thongs on the beach. Yuggghhh!!!
Iv'e just read tomitma's edit :think
And yes the Americans are surprisingly prudish about swimwear. Last time i was in Florida, 10years ago, absolutely no speedos, and no topless for the girls, but some very tiny bikini bottoms :D
x lassi
Never mind the men in thongs. What about those without anything on ! Walking along Candolim beach in March with my 10 year old daughter we passed a guy on the beach right on the water edge where everyone walks performing his exercise routine totally starkers. Not the sort of thing a 10 year old sees everyday. :yikes
Morjim beach start of last season, couple walking along, they stopped, lady must have been 7 months pregnant, started to take of their shorts, nothing underneath both starkers just jumped in the water, i was so gobsmacked forgot i had the 3 grandkids with me!!! my 4 year old grandson shouted thats "bisgusting nannie" thats his word for disgusting, showing her boobies off never mind the blokes bits. does it say its a nudist beach??? seen people half naked in newtons, the fish market, walking down holiday street in thongs, not good!!!!
:omg NO thats just not on you would think you would never see that in india im really shocked to read this
I actually get very annoyed when i see topless women on the beach, ok, it is just about acceptable IMO, for a woman to go topless but to lay on her stomach, so nothing is showing.
But when women have their 'bits' on show, i feel it is unacceptable.

I do not want my young child seeing this, it is plain wrong, and i also do not want women to flaunt their bits in front of my partner, this irritates me as well.
i do see a lot of british men without wearing a top, with their big beer belly hanging over their stupid red flower shorts.

That`s me you`ve all seen im afraid :cry
Ido cover up when going into shops or for a meal but as im disabled i find it hard to change on the beach so have to wear my stupid red flower shorts down the street
Dunk, i didnt mean it as an insult. My partner bought some of those red shorts from a stall near the beach in Goa earlier this year, i think they look ok, only if you wear them with a top off the beach.

I dont mind seeing men without tops on the beach, but off the beach is a different story
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.