Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
you dont need jabs if you are going to the tourist areas remember jabs medication can have side effects. more so for children.
We all had the jabs and polio drops last year, didn't do any of us 3 any harm, the only side effects I've heard are the posibility of a lump forming in your upper arm from the Hepp jab, this lump apparently forms but goes down in a week or so, My wife the kids and I didn't get any lump.
don't bother with the malaria tabs you'll be itching uncontrolably for the whole 2 weeks you're in Turkey.
no, ask shorty!!!!
but really if you are hanging out in the main resorts you dont need them.
no problem, I think we have to do what we feel happy with.
I had jabs in countries where i have been advise to do so.
Does anyone know how long the 1st set of jabs last?
I had them in may last year and never went back for the booster!
Im going back to Marmaris in september and if im no longer immune i dont think i will get any more.
Hi yogi thanks for reminding me of the fact that jabs can have side affects although im realy stuck now on weather or not to have them my daughters 4 and has to be held down with alot of force and my son whos just 1 had a jab at 6 months that went wrong he had an allargic reaction and was in hospital :cry:
thanks briaskeg will do that soon :)
I could not agree more withat advice, If you go and see the nurse prac she will tellyou first if you need the jabs and also the children and also given the family history if they are safe. my advise is don`t take chances. good luck.
generally booster is required at 6 months after original jab
Had to have Diptheria and Tetanus recently, they last for 10 years. Typhoid lasts for 3 years. HEP A you will need a booster given within 6-12 months of the original and then it will last for 10 years also. Just read this off of the note my Doctor gave me at the time. Hope this is helpful! Also had no side affects, other than a slightly sore arem for a few days.
Me, hubby and 2 children went to the docs today and have had our Dip, tetanus and Polio in one arm and the Hepatitis and Typhoid in the other. (We have to go back in October for a booster - and then 3 years later for another booster, but this will cover us for quite a few years).

The children actually only needed the Hepatitis and Typhoid but due to the amount of dosage they have to have because of their age it meant they had to have it in injection in both arms rather than a combined injection.

I asked the Nurse if we really needed these and I was advised that we did because Turkey is still a 3rd world country - I have also been advised to check about Malaria tablets before we go because the recomendations are changing so much and if we were to go now we would need the tablets but August is a few months away yet so it could all change again.

I have to say we have all been fine with them (no tears from the children either) and we didn't have to pay for any of them.

I'm terrified of needles but honestly they didn't hurt and its best to be covered.

Go for it ...... :D
:shock: - your nurse said what?
"I asked the Nurse if we really needed these and I was advised that we did because Turkey is still a 3rd world country -"

What exactly is a 3rd-world country?
I'm a bit offended by that, and I'm not even Turkish!

Elaine
i am so glad to hear that my daughter is doing my head in about these jabs , i had a feeling they wouldnt have to have all the jabs as they are 8 and 11 so thought they would be covered from therir pre-school jabs , i am suprised that you didnt have to pay thou i thought that being england and all that we would get stung like normal, dont fancy the malaria thou did kids have jab or drops.
lol teddy
how come you have had jabs now if you are not going till august
  • Edited by teddy 2005-03-31 15:39:02
Didn't mean to offend anyone - didn't even think I would have .... Maybe Elaine you are taking things a bit too far.

I was acting on advice given to me and I took that proffesional advice without even querying the comment.

I was offering the forum the information I had been advised so maybe if you have any queries you might want to speak to your Doctor and get their professional opinion - all surgeries probably offer different opinions.
Hi Teddy,

In answer to your question both the girls had the Hepatitis and Typhoid injections and they had them in both arms - you are right they are still covered by their baby immunisations but they couldn't have the combined dose like an adult so that explains the 2 arms - but they were fine (pleased to say not a tear!).

We don't go until August and I was asked if I wanted to get the immunisations nearer the time but saying as we were sat in the surgery and no time to think about it I took that option as it seemed the best one!
Catch a plane to East Turkey and then a bus to a remote village and the nurse might be right about it being a 3rd world country, but the tourist areas are about as 3rd world as Spain!!

Never had an injection in my life to go to Turkey and I've been going there for about 4 years now! Not saying that people shouldn't have them, but I do think the doctors surgery should be giving out better advice.

Check the foreign office website for up to date information.
Sorry you are all feeling offended ... like I say if you don't like the advice, then that is fine, I for one would be seeking medical advice rather than forum advice but I thought I would post what I was told just so it could help other people.

I took advice for myself and my family and I only wished I hadn't placed it for everyone to see .... maybe that was the wrong thing to do.

The E111 book also recommends that you have the injections - although if they are not essential why do they recommend them? (There is obviously a reason why they recommend them).
totally agree
i feel i need to have the jabs , as you say it is RECOMMENDED only, people do not have to if they do not want to i have heard many cases where people have had malaria, so i do not want to be one of them so tinkerbell you did not offend me at all you put my mind at rest, perhaps we can all be a bit more tactful to each other after all its only meant to help people, lets not make it a war zone.
teddy
xxxx
Thanks for the info Briarskeg, I would appreciate the link once you can put it on the forum.

I just feel 100% happier knowing that me and my family have a bit of "extra backup" and we can go away and enjoy ourselves without worrying.

Getting the jabs was a personal preference for our family but a one I'm pleased we all took. :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.