Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
JET2.COM
1502 Posts
I recently flew to Alicante with Jet 2 and have previously flown with them many times before but I can't believe how tight they have become about been just a little bit overweight. I was 2kg over and I was charged £10.00. My neighbours who came back 2 days before me were only 1kg over and they were charged £5.
What is annoying is that from November they are putting the allowance back up to 20kg to soften the blow about the £5 each way baggage charge but in the meantime some people including myself have paid the £5 without getting any extra allowance. I think that they should have put the allowance up for everyone regardless of whether they had paid or not when they introduced the new charges

Sue :)

Hope that all makes sense, I know what I mean :)
Hi Sue
It's not just Jet2. All the airlines will charge you now if you are overweight. :shock:
I paid £26 extra flying to Tenerife the last time (with Airtours), also we had to pay again at Reina Sofia when we were coming home. You really need to weigh your suitcase before you go to make sure. I usually put mine on the bathroom scales now to get a rough idea. I think toiletries are heavy too, so I try to cut down on them as well.
Us women bring far too much anyway and usually you don't wear the half of it.
Re Jet2 From Bournemouth - Afraid not, the Parent company Dart Group are based at B'mth they also used to own the Channel Express Freight service but they have since sold that on.

Jet2 did run a Service to Belfast a couple of years a go from B'mth but that stopped at the end of the 1st summer Season...The Artic' Lorry that trundles up and down the roads of the south advertising Jet2 Flights - has 'Cheap flights from up North' plastered on the side gives some indication that its unlikely they will be operating any services from B'mth in the near future....so its a case of Thomsonfly, Ryanair or Wizz for Low cost flights from B'mth !!
We flew to Tenerife in August with Jet 2 and we couldnt fault them both ways they were great.
Not just the low cost airlines will charge excess. BMI charged me in March and would not honour the BA Transatlantic allowance only would allow me their 20K domestic allowance on the flight to Heathrow.

Flybe charged me for 1 kilo over in July on a flight to Southampton.

Sue
i noticed jet 2 do leeds bradford to menorca for next july do you know if newcastle do for next summer and if so when will the dates be due out.
does anyone know when the flights with jet2 come out for next summer for newcastle to menorca
Hi, we've just booked 4 of us flying to Palma next April with Jet 2 for £350 total, fantastic cost, but was wondering is the aircraft (LS) a jet2 aircraft or do they use heaven forbid flyjet? Thanks for any help. Alison
Hi Sparky LS is jet2's flight code for their aircraft. Cheers Jayjan
Thanks Jayjan, first time we've booked independently so fingers crossed we've done the right thing, saved ourselves £700! thanks for replying. Alison
We have just used Jet2 again for a trip from Leeds to Faro. Both flights on time, but both aircraft were showing their age, Boeing 757s and neither very clean inside. My 18 month old found chewing gum in the chair arm ash tray and there was litter including an old newspaper in the seat pocket.

On both trips it was stifling in the cabin, but these aircraft do not have individual aircon vents over the seats, so despite requests for the heating to be turned down we were told it was cold at the back so it needed to be kept warm.

The inflight catering was a joke. On the outward leg not enough food was delivered as per the order so hardly anything to sell. On the return leg they had sold out of two types of sandwich before getting to us - we were only on row 6 and the flight wasn't full - this aspects needs looking at.
:D Hi there, this extra charge for one piece of baggage, does this mean hand luggage (a small shoulder bag with passports, purse, etc..?)

Also if we do not prebook our seats, what are the chances of the three of us being split? I'd be quite happy to sit by myself, but our son (14), would hate it if he was sat alone, (as he hates flying!)

Regards, Belly!
bellyballyboo,

As long as you get to check-in in plenty of time, you should get seats together. As for luggage, you get up to 10kg of hand luggage (bag size limits are on the website) as part of a standard ticket. If you want to check-in a bag, ie suitcase of up to 20kg I think it is now, then that's when you need to pay for baggage to go in the hold.

Darren
:D Hi Darren, thanks for that, Have sent you a pm, but please ignore the second one, as you have just answered my questions! :lol:

Much appreciated :lol:

Belly!
I am sure that the 20kg allowance on hold luggage dosn't apply till November departure dates, up until then its 18kgs.

Davey, this is my grudge too with Jet2 they never carry enough inflight food, sandwiches (Especially on the return journey) and cabin staff always make an excuse when you complain. I now buy a sandwich in the airport just to be sure of having a bite to eat on the journey. I know their planes are getting a bit old but to me as long as you get from A to B safely on a relatively short flight thats all that matters, with a turn around of of 30/45 minutes i dont think they have time for cleaners to board the plane and clean, they expect previous travelling passengers to keep it tidy, or clean up their own rubbish. End of the day you get what you pay for, other carriers can be a lot more expensive, depends when you book and whats on offer on the web on that certain day.
All in all I think Jet2 are ok but they are upping their prices with adding extras on for hold baggage (But all airlines seem to be). When they first started charging for this is was £3 per flight leg, then £4 and now £5, even Monarchs hold charges are only £3.98 per flight leg, Easyjet is only £2 per flight leg, Thomsonfly £5 per flight leg. All extras which add onto the finances of your holiday. Cheers Jayjan
Jet 2 now have a flight to Heraklion in Crete. Browing the site yesterday found a return flight in June 2008 for £138 return incl. taxes.
Cabin crew clean the aircraft on turnaround. Helps keep the prices down. Denny
Hi,

I've booked a flight with Jet2 from Manchester to Lanzarote on Sunday 30th March 2008. I discovered by chance by looking on their website that they no longer offer Sunday flights (last one appears to be 23rd, just my luck!). I've not heard anything from Jet2 and they were still selling them this week.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Since I booked the flight other carriers have now put their prices up to over double what I paid for Jet2.

Can anyone help on this one?
Just got back from Antalya..... Thomas Cook commisioned a Jet2 craft on 21 October from Nwcastle to Antalya...... it was filthy, full of crumbs, dreadful lighting and very uncomfortable seats that were narrow.... bad start to my holiday.... would never use them by choice.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.