Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Just back.
14 Posts
Ah Boro thats a shame that you had such a negative experience.
We have just returned from the mediteran hotel in fethiye,(review posted) the staff have the view that as long as you are spending your money around it is good for turkey, they are very anti all inclusive as they say all the money goes in one pocket. We didnt experience much hassle at all. the weather was something else though wasnt it :yikes
I love the sunshine but spent a week wearing a t shirt in the pool, so have a glorious t shirt tan :oops: .
hating the rain and cold now

hugs la x
Im glad to know the hassling is calming down over there, I travel in 2 weeks and have been a few times before and the hassle was pretty unbelievable to say the least. So im happy its slowing down :)
I think you feel the way about Marmaris the way I felt about Icmeler last year, I love the place BUT felt too that something was missing, I put it down to needing a change, my husband compared it to going down the local on a regular basis, eventually you get fed up of the same four walls and the same faces, and sometimes you need to change. So we are off to Hisaronu this year and really looking forward to that first day when you dont know where anything is and discovering new places.
>>I think you feel the way about Marmaris the way I felt about Icmeler last year, I love the place BUT felt too that something was missing, I put it down to needing a change, my husband compared it to going down the local on a regular basis, eventually you get fed up of the same four walls and the same faces, and sometimes you need to change<<

Think you have hit the nail on the head Tracy,we are going to try somewhere different next year...still Turkey but another part.
we have been to marmaris 7 times now we have always had agreat time but feel it is time for a change so we are going to oludeniz next may.
Came back from Marmaris 3 week ago, third time we've been since last August. had 4 week this time and niether of us wanted to come home. Yes can understand what you say about the shine going off it, but you don't have to go to the same bars/clubs all the time. Perhaps we've been lucky, we met some great people first time there, now they are counted as friends, and going back is like visiting family.
We have been to houses for meals etc , a wedding even, it's a bit hard at times, with the language, but well worth it for the experience and what you find out about the people. Will be back end of August for another 8 weeks, and can't wait, we've another wedding to go to, maybe two, and lots more turkish peole to meet, get to know, and maybe new friends to visit. Hope this dosen't sound like a lecture but where ever we go we try and make new friends it works for us.
ha ha fablacklock just be careful you will end up like us ,,the more friends you gather on youre way ,the more you are in demand, :lol: our mobile never stops now ..our turkish friends asking when we are coming ,can you come next week :lol: weve been to weddings, had meals at homes and even stayed in there homes instead of accomadation,even went in february so we could spend more time with our working friends who are busy in season,its now got to the point were we seem to holiday there as not to let people down :lol: we have friends in goa too and go there every year in march .we seem to be running short of months to visit another country :lol:
FAB...... no we didn't and don't go back to the same bar's restaurants all the time there are far to many in Marmaris to do that!

I can't put my finger on why the shine has gone but it has.
Like yourself we to know many Turkish people i am not to sure if i would wish or want to count them as "friends" but we know a lot of them and can even speak a few Turkish words.

We want to try another part of Turkey maybe somewhere a bit quieter than Marmaris.
Hope you have a good time when you go back in August but sorry it would be my worst nightmare having to stay for 8 weeks!!!!!!!
We have been looking for something else in Turkey. We had about 9 gulet holidays (Marmaris to Fethiye or the other way round) and they are slightly less appealing than they were. We have been to Hisaronu, Turgetreis twice, Side twice, Istanbul twice, Northern Cyprus twice and are now thinking of kusadasi or Altinkum.

We got back on Saturday night from Side and the heat was just as Borored was describing although marginally cooler. The high spot for us was hiring a car and driving 500 kilometres to Cappadicia to look at the cave houses and underground cities. They were unbelievable.

Another place I would like to try is the (predominantly) Turkish resort of Cesme.

No damn Irish or Brit bars there - just Turkish stuff.
Hi Ian, Fethiye is another Turkish town you might want to try. It has a nice harbour and the advantage of being very close to Calis Beach and Olu Deniz.
Ian, pleased to see you made it to Cappadocia.Its an amazing place isnt it?.
Sarong,

I like Fethiye. Most of our gulet holidays have started or ended there so we got to know the place quite well and have caught the water dolmus to Calis Beach a few times too. Not sure if I would want a hotel there though. I stayed in Hisaronu once and the dolmus to Fethiye (or Olu Deniz) was quick and handy.

Jay,

Cappadocia absolutely knocked my socks off! (or it would have if I had been wearing any socks)

We found a great hotel in Urgup which made an excellent base for touring round. I suspect we will be visiting that area again in the near future.
You can read about our recent holiday in Side and Cappadocia at http://www.travelsianandwendy.blog.co.uk if you are interested

It is not complete yet and you start at the bottom entry and work upwards.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.