Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Kos Airport
13 Posts
Went through a couple of years ago - clean and modern......its not very big.

The usual couple of shops, car rentals and refreshment area.

The main thing I can remember is that there was not much room for people to queue at departure checkin - so if you can get to the airport early for your return flight then do so as long queues can build up, and spill down the airport building. Also thereis not a huge amount of seating when you wait airside (another reason for getting there early).

Small gift shop and refreshments airside too.

That said, the checkin staff were efficient and queues moved quickly - all in all was not an unpleasant experience. :D
Thanks very much :)

We've got a night flight coming home so hopefully it won't be too busy.

Do you know if theres anything there to get anything decent to eat as we've declined flight meals ?
they xray every case and have to stand outside for ages. They departure lounge is tiny with nothing much available. Its pretty much a typical small greek island airport
There are a couple of snack bar type places, one before you go into the departures and one in the departure "lounge". Now the food is just about edible and just about affordable, but no worse than any other airport in the world :lol: :lol:

As people have already said it can be a nightmare getting in and it's not unusual to be queing outside for anything upto an hour and a half.

So if going in early or late season with a nightflight remember to take a jumper :D

If flying during the day in the height of season plenty of bottled water is a must.
Alex - just a thought......

... if you are flying with XL you might find that you get a meal even though you may have declined it when booking ..see the excel thread !

:roll:
Hi Alex, where you flying to and what time and day of the week? Our flight out is on a Thursday morning around 0530hrs. Used to be around 0430hrs and at that time there were another three to four flights leaving. If memory serves me correctly we had a Stanstead in departures about to board as we came through (Glasgow). Already in the depature lounge was a Manchester. Stanstead gone, Manchester and Glasgow in the lounge and a Birmingham arriving in departures just before Manchester gathered together to go.
Manchester gone, Glasgow and Birmingham left. Next into the departure lounge was a Gatwick flight, about half an hour before Glasgow boarded.

I think most days are the same, at least the British transfer days. Facilities are limited but not too bad, biggest problem is if one flight is delayed. That's when it can get crowded and a shortage of seating.

You do have to queue outside, but I have known people take a taxi to the airport to get in before the queues form.

Andy.
Kamari -

One reason why we hired a car for the week (to beat the buses to the airport) - it was cheap too - less than £100 in Oct for a Renault Clio. It was great to have it on hand to get around the island - driving there is easy; but you do have to watch for the mad locals and worse still the mad tourists on quads & bikes !!!

:wink:
Kamari - We will be flying from Kos back to Bristol at 00.40 am on a Thursday morning.
Getting a taxi isn't a bad idea as we'll have two little ones with us and it will be too late for them to be hanging around.

What are arrivals like ?
We arrive in Kos at 11.45pm (their time) on a Wednesday.
Can't honestly say what arrivals will be like at that time of night, as I'm not sure how many flights arrive around then. We used to arrive around 0230hrs, with a couple of other flights close to ours and it was ok.
Don't know about this year as the flight is two hours later, so will arrive around 0430hrs.

There are two carousels in the airport, and it usually takes around 30-35 mins. to get your luggage, again it can sometimes depend on how many flights coming in, but it doesn't tend to get too crowded.

Biggest wait is often on the transfer coach while everyone is rounded up. Sometimes we use a taxi from the airport if we know the transfer coach is going round a few other resorts before ours, and ditto on the return.

Andy.
Just out of interest ....where are you staying Alex ?

:?
......there also used to be a little church at the end of the runway, with a little man sitting outside when all the flights came in...........dont know if he was praying or not????????????????

Mark
We're staying at The Kos Aqua Beach club in Tingaki :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.