General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Last minute deals - you'll get a cheaper deal only if the flight is a charter not scheduled. Best idea is to do a bit of research now - ask your travel agent for some advice on where charters go and check out the hotels and deals they suggest. If you're travelling within 2-3 weeks of booking, you'll probably end up paying a "ticket on departure" charge where the tour op charges you for the privilege of picking up the ticket at the airport as there's not enough time to print and send it to you (to be sure you get it)

You'll only get a cheap deal if they are nearly full and the tour op can afford to cut prices. Sometimes if not enough people are booked on a flight, they will cancel as this is cheaper than flying a plane hundreds or thousands of miles and making a loss.
I spent 2-3 days searching for a quick cheap deal during the school holidays last August. All the best places were either fully booked or ridiculously expensive (compared to booking early) and all that was left was the budget places at brochure prices - no bargains to be had anywhere :(
We finished up having a very pleasant week in budget apartments in Tenerife, but it wasn't "cheap", it was pretty much the price in the brochure, although they gave us half-board for not much more than the price for self-catering. The holiday price also included the 'ticket-on-departure' fee for collecting our tickets at the airport on the morning of the flight.
Last minute bargains are not what they used to be! I always book early - we're off to Turkey mid-August, which I booked last May and the exact same holiday (3 people) now costs £1600 more than we paid for it :shock:
:D I agree totaly with cyber. We were in a simialar position last august, out son was going away with relatives, so me and other half thought it would be great for just the 2 of us to go away (August), we searched every possible avenue for a "Cheap" holiday, and could not find anything,that was considered "Cheap", all the best accomodations had gone, (Just the rubbish accomodations left!), we were limited to choice of airport etc..., the cheapest we could find was a 3* half board hotel in benidorm (Our chosen destination), for £998, for the 2 of us (Not cheap at all, but we desperate to get away, - so we payed).

This year I have booked nearly a year in advance to same destination (Benidorm), in a better hotel,our choice of airport, 2 adults, (and an extra child £713.00 - Both package hols, not diy). I have checked on the tompsons website last week, and the holiday has now gone up by £200!

I'm in no doubt that there are "Cheap holiday's", out there, but in the school holiday's, I don't think you have much chance!

I do hope you manage to find a great deal, and if you let us know where you want to go, dates, airport, etc..., I'll have a look and see if I can find anything that may be of interest to you. Regards, BBB
We booked our "late deal" just a week before we travelled. Plenty of cheap holidays available, but it depends on what you are looking for. Lots of deals for places like Lagana, Ayia Napa, Faliraki and the like, through Club 18-30, 2twentys etc.
Unfortunately I have to admit to getting a bit old for the twenty four hour drinking sessions these days, once or twice during a holiday, but not every night. Quieter resort offers were fairly plentiful, but they were not what I would call a "late deal" price, not at £300 to £400pp for a week BB.
Did get a good deal in the end, but not to where we were looking to go.
If you don't mind where you stay, then you can leave it as late as you want, we met people on our holiday who booked through teletext 2 hours before they had to be at the airport--thats a late deal.

Andy.
I'd recommend a bit of DIY personally......on the holiday front that is :shock:

Please remember to bear in mind that this year unlike others their is a World Cup Tournament on :wink: I suspect strongly that many 100's of people are awaiting their teams outcome i.e England (only because they're the only UK team in the tournament :lol: ) I think it will go mad after July 9th and the operators have taken this into account on 2 fronts, firstly they've less packages this summer in view of the World Cup and also they'll know people are leaving it late to book and will charge accordingley :!:

I've just booked a week DIY to my favourite Greek Island, flights and top class accom with local Thomson flights all in for £184 each :wink:

Good luck & happy holidays
I don't think you get any late "deals" where school holidays are concerned. We did one a few years ago, all they had left was a week to corfu, self catering, allocated on arrival for £299 each. We hadn't had a holiday that year so booked it. What a midden it was when we got there. The maids had left us with 1 toilet roll. When that was gone we were charged £1 for another one.We never saw another rep from the airport till the foolowing week when we went back
It was on the outskirts of Sidari and had a stagnant stream running along side it,loads of midges, we had to share a pool with a hotel 200yards away, use safety deposit boxes in a bank on the street 500yards away :shock: It took us 15mins to walk to the beach and 20mins to walk to the centre. The nearbye bar charged us three different prices for the same drinks within an hour, rip off.
We have never done another one and never will.
I know you always here of a friends friend who got a 10star hotel, fantastic meals and entertainment, but has anyone actually met these people :?

Folk will say anything after a few drinks when on holiday, we met a few this year! :roll:
We have not booked anything yet for this Summer. We too are teachers and can only go away at peak times. In previous years we have always booked early and so this is a new experience for us. Because our kids (not really kids anymore) can't make up their minds what they are going to do we have put off booking. We are hoping to pick up a bargain (or at least smething at a reasonable price) once the schools break up.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.