Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
one way flights
1211 Posts
The US travel auction website sometimes sells oneway flights from the States to the UK. I've no experience of them however. Glasgow is served by Flyglobespan.com, a low(er) cost airline flying daily from Orlando Sanford. Single tickets can be purchased at no penalty. With the full fare airlines booking a return and disposing of the second sector is often more cost effective.

Thank you HamRag. I'll look into the deals you mentioned. Celebrity appeals greatly, however when I've looked at them in the past the single price is more than double the price for two people sharing! Carnival consistently has the best single deals with only a 25% mark up.

Talking of which the cruise I booked is #10623 on http://www.vacationstogo.co.uk. It is 49 nights on Carnival Splendor from Ft Lauderdale to San Francisco via Cape Horn from $3,897 (if i see a lower price I'll call them and they'll lock me in at the cheaper fare!). It is booked in three sectors and i can cancel without penalty up until 72 days before departure. If I take the whole cruise I'll buy cheaper return flights to New York and then add on low-fare connections to Ft Lauderdale and from San Fran.
The restrictions on booking air tickets was lifted so you can buy returns in any order so for two trans you do not need to not fly a leg.

There is a site that does better searches for flights than the likes of expedia, I am looking into it and will post some time.

In case anyone missed the point the cruises are Europe to US in the autumn and US to Europe in the spring, so one example is fly out to US in the spring cruise back then cruise to US in the autumn and fly back on the return flight ticket.
At these price on the NCL Gem I am very tempted to book a suite on the 9/11 sailing from Barcelona. The US site is showing $1999 for an AE but the UK site is showing £1479. VTG are also showing it at $1999.
I have never DIYed a cruise before. Anything to watch out for and whos the best to book with?
INVALID URL my new US place to search with discounts on cruiseline prices
$1800 for the AE on the 9/11 Uk(£1409)
$1870 for an AC on the 21/11 uk(£1489)

Not bad for 12night cruise in a suite. I think with these there will be chances of upgrades or even cheaper prices so keep an eye on them.

Try http://www.cruisecomplete.com and see what turns up(thats were I got BPC from)

Booking I usually go with cheapest unless I hear bad things or if not a lot init someone who I have used before.

DIY.

I guess an EX uk cruise is a DIY cruise if you make your own way to the Port, all cruises are part DIY since you usually drive to the airport, It is just a case of doing more bits yourself, and hopefully saving money

Biggest issue will be what if something goes wrong, you will have to deal with it yourself since you are not on a package and likely no singe TA to deal with. Insurance cover may not be quite as you expect, air delay may not cover the cruise etc, illness should be OK.

But so what, save a shed load of money,

Plan carefully, make sure you have phone numbers for everyone you may need to contact and a phone that is enabled for international roaming.

Book with a Credit Card so if there is a problem with the booking you cover the biggest cost,(allthough my booking the CC charge was by NCL and the trip was on the NCL computer same day). If concerned go direct to NCL(US or UK) for the extra $.

If flying in same day think about an early flight with an airline that has more than one flight that arrives before sail time or travel a day early.
Research transfers so you know costs and timings.

Watch luggage allowances if using cheap airlines especialy those with chargable allowances, Barcelona there is always BA at a price.

Think of as many things that could go wrong and how would you deal with them, much like you would for any holiday.

Actually Gem Dec is our first fully DIY last year we did the pearl and used Voyana for the Cruise/UK transfer/flight but DIY our stay in Miami.

Start to build up a knowledge base/bookmarks for departure ports,hotels,taxi, flight etc so you get the expected full costings quickly if a deals turns up.

No substitute for research and time, well there is money, buy the package.

On the CC front worth getting the Nationwide card if you plan to book US no exchange rate loading so saves 2%-3%.
Not done a full TXT check for a while now but spotted this which could be worth further research for those looking for a Trans this year.

Navigator of the seas Nov trans 13n at £599 with cruise1st.

Not a bad price and I have not looked for further discounts or DIY options.

We did the other way this April(12n) for £570. which included 1night in miami using cruie1st. Check the flight ours was via Atlanta.

I think a one way flight is worth around £160-£200 so cruise is say £450 for 13nights, £35pppn which is good value.
I get $2399 for AE on 9/11 with BPC
I must be going wrong somewhere? *Just registers and the price as come down*
I have also looked at the 8/10 out of Dover same grade but cant get that below 2+ Have you spotted anything. I am thinking at least out of Dover for first DIY will cut down on at least one thing going wrong

*edit** Best price so far £1149 for AE 8/10
Windjammer if you want to see a real bargain take a look at NCL Sun- 29th Sept -Honolulu,around Hawaiian islands and back to Ensenada,10 days ... I kept clicking back and forwards to make sure I was looking at the right prices! If you have a couple of weeks to spare and don't mind the long flights.
I was looking for a last minute- "I'm bored,where can I go"? type of cruise. This might be it.
Keelaleeva- take a look at the solo cruiser rate for this sailing. PHEW..
The NCL Sun Hawaii to Ensenada 29th September cruise is only $283 for 10 nights!!! It's double that for single passengers, which irks, but at that price it's still excellent value.

According to bestpricecruises.com the offer expires at 1am on Saturday 18th.

Flights, which I thought would be prohibitively expensive, can be had from Newcastle (my local airport) to Hawaii and returning from San Diego (70 miles from Ensenada, across the border) for around the £500 mark. I priced using the multi leg option on http://www.opodo.co.uk. Add the cost of a couple of days in a hotel to recover from the flights and the cost of transfers and it's still excellent value.

Very tempting!
For me travelling as a woman alone I have to be absolutely sure that I stay safe at all times and this is more important than the cost.
Like everyone I like to find a bargain but I can afford to pay more if need be and it all depends on what is on offer. If it is too complicated then I just won't touch.
Not getting any younger either. June and I will be off in October and other than my visit to Ireland I am not looking at doing anything else right now.
I have a house full of visitors and am very tired happy to see all the children but I have a mix of aged 3 to 76 which is not the easiest!

Never mind after next week life will be back to just Becky and Dan until school starts at the beginning of September.
Happy travelling everyone.

Sue
Craig- I think the offer will be 'on hold' as the NCL reservations system is going to be down starting tonight 17th for the whole weekend. I'll look at it again on Monday and see if it's still available. They still have a lot of empty rooms.
Tempting indeed.
NCL will shuttle you from Ensenada to San Diego airport for $75.
Also look at Hawaiian Air- from LAX to HNL for that date is only $234! WOW!
For those that might like to try one of the New York cruise deals Zoom airline are doing £200 flights from Gatwick

From http://www.hotukdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90513

A great place for all sorts of non cruise deals.
Just having a look around for whats on offer in Oct. If you can find flights these look good on Grand Princess

10n canada/NE around £440 with tax. NY-Quebec (A731)

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=14549

The follow on cruise is even better itinery at 16nights down to Florida for £600 ish

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=20249
Good deal with Gills today, singles offer, best cabin available, 31 August 07, 12 nights, Orient lines - Marco Polo, to Spain, Portugal and French highlights for ....£499.
Received this offer today but I am going to Ireland and with my October cruise planned it is not for me.

Sue
You beat me to it Elaine. Although i thought that the £499 was per person and it was £899 for singles? Friends have reported back good things about Marco Polo although you have to bear in mind it's a smaller, older ship.
Hi Craig :)

I received two flyers same day.One said £499 per person , the other said last minute single offer £499, best available cabin. wow

That would have done me but I cant take time off work at such short notice :cry: However, this time next year, I may have taken voluntary early retirement. If so and there is a bit of deja vu, I will be jumping to the phone pronto. :D

Hope you are well Craig :)
E xx
Next year Marco Polo will be sailing for another line - Transocean, out of Tilbury. I've seen their single prices and they are a lot steeper than Orient's sadly.

I quite like the look and sound of Marco Polo and considered a crossing from Barcelona back to Rio. The price was stunning (£525 + flights for 21 nights for sole occupancy of a twin porthole cabin), but sadly i was too late and they'd sold all the lower priced cabins. The other thing which held me back from booking straight away was the size of the ship. The Atlantic is a very big ocean and the Marco Polo is a fairly small ship!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.