General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Asda, Matalan-------They,ve both got them in :)
Try sending for the KLM ones you might be lucky!

I think WH Smiths sell plain card ones or you can buy plastic cased ones in most travel stands in stores.

Also make sure you have your name and address (+mob number)somewhere else in your case ,in a pocket or inside the case for extra security.
We haven't used luggage labels for years as they're not really necessary. All you need are the bar codes that are attached at check in. We travel 4-5 times a year and have never had a problem.

luci :wave
same here- although we do sometimes pick up from the check in desk and fill in there.
If you're flying with Thomas Cook they don't give you labels but you can pick up some from the Thomas Cook customer services desk at the airport.
Most stationers sell plain card labels which you can write on your details. A lot of fashion/household/gift/luggage shops sell fancy "leather" label holders, I got some "gold" ones from Primark last year for £1 each :D
The airlines and airports all over the world generally rely on the barcoded stickers which are fastened to the suitcases at check-in, but some airlines still send out paper labels because customers like them and expect them.
Why not make your own labels on the computer, should be easy enough.

Get a favourite picture, reduce in size, and name and any other details.

Print of, and laminate, and insert into old label
Usually First Choice provide you with luggage labels that have your details on them. You reverse them for the journey back.

As a lot of people these days seem to have the same suitcase as me (or maybe it just seems that way), I bought a metal round luggage label from Boots. You swivel it open and put in whatever information you want. I put my name and my telephone number and you attach it to your case by a wire loop.

I find it a lot easier to recognise my suitcase.
My son and daughter have always made our luggage labels from the computer, nothing fancy just different colours for each one of us. Always easy to spot or luggage. Trying KLM ones this year but they haven't come yet. Just over 4 weeks until we fly, so should get them in time. Karen
thanks for the advice guys, i think i'll try making some and see if mum can laminate them at work!
Leanne you don't even need to laminate them. Back in the days before we got ours, we used cardboard from cornflake boxes to stiffen them. Karen
Try this - right click the HT logo at the top of the page and copy the picture, paste this to a word document and next to it enter the luggage address details. Copy this 3 more time and then print. Cut out the 4 sections and use as a luggage label (use glue to stick ends together). You also have an added advantage of being identifiable to other HTers.

Admin - could you produce a file which can be down loadable.
I always do my own on the computer and then laminate them. Name, hotel and mobile phone number for outward flight and name, post code and mobile number for return. Two copies of each so they are double-sided. I use a hole punch in the corner
well i went into thomas cook today to ask why they don't send them out anymore and they said it's because of security, the airlines don't actually like you to have the details on your case at all! so i'm gonna have to think of another way to make my standard black case stand out from everybody elses!!!
i'm gonna have to think of another way to make my standard black case stand out from everybody elses!!!

Just reminded me of when we were away at Easter, waiting for our cases, and the bloke next to us shook his head and said "everyone's been to Argos..." :lol:
I have two different sets of luggage straps on my cases - a stripey strap and a plain green one on each case. They were only cheap from £1 shops/Home Bargains etc and although many people get cheap £1 shop luggage straps that are all same, it's unlikely anyone will have exactly the same two sets which we use both together. Some people tie coloured ribbons on the handles of their suitcases, some people "paint" their initials on the sides of the cases.

well i went into thomas cook today to ask why they don't send them out anymore and they said it's because of security

If this is a problem, then why do First Choice and lots of other airlines still send out luggage labels with your tickets? I think Thomas Cook just like to save paper because, as other people have said, all the airline needs is the barcoded sticker which is put on at check-in.
Buy a piece of ribbon from any haberdasher department and tie it round the handle of your cases.....cheap and very effective.

I used to do this until I bought our new suitcases a couple of years ago, they stand out on their own now and I've yet to see another case the same as mine so not a problem for us so far......but if it did then I'd revert to the ribbon option.
As well as our luggage labels we also tie thick coloured laces on our handles, just incase labels come off. Karen
Try this - right click the HT logo at the top of the page and copy the picture

I would have thought that anything on this site is copyright protected...including the logo.? otherwise Van and Co would start up a business in luggage labels :lol:
Now there's an idea :rofl

I think the idea of luggage labels is really only for the benefit of the passengers to help identify their case,( by name on label) amongst a sea of similar coloured cases.....
My case has often appeared without the luggage label and the very strong barcode label with the Airport initials is what determines where the case ends up.
It is very important to remove this label before your next trip. :wink:

I've got a black hardbodied case with an enormous X in the middle from white electricians tape that I put on, plus a strip of dress material tied around the handle by 2 or 3 knots...the chances of anyone having the same material on the same black case, on the same flight ...must be negligible....not impossible, but negligible :lol:

Thomson luggage labels are quite strong and pre printed out, they come in the ticket booklet and you only have to write your address on the returns section...obviously just before your inbound flight....but my case has arrived at the carousel without them.

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
well i went into thomas cook today to ask why they don't send them out anymore and they said it's because of security

If this is a problem, then why do First Choice and lots of other airlines still send out luggage labels with your tickets? I think Thomas Cook just like to save paper because, as other people have said, all the airline needs is the barcoded sticker which is put on at check-in.

yeah i know, i'm not flying or booked with thomas cook, they're the only travel agent in our town so i thought i'd give them a bash!
MyTravel, for anyone who's booked with them, do not send our luggage labels!!
from sanji
the chances of anyone having the same material on the same black case, on the same flight ...must be negligible....not impossible, but negligible

That's what we thought too until someone picked up Micks two years ago by mistake. :shock: :shock: They were the same coloured ribbon and a big orange rectangular A4 sticker on the back of the case with "MICK" printed on it. I thought it was soo funny. We got his case back a few hours later by courier, even he couldn't believe it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.