Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
I've made a video of Malaga Airport, showing T2 and T3.
It's not one of my better efforts because It was rushed and I was filming whilst walking (not recommended) and dragging hand luggage, and I did have a plane to catch.!

In T3 you can see the ‘bottle neck' of people walking up and down those stupid roped off area's, which gets a lot of people into a small space for the security control area"¦... they're one of my pet hates, they annoy me intensely.

I didn't go too near the control area with the camcorder, because I didn't fancy an extended holiday at the pleasure of his majesty King Juan Carlos. :wink:

http://www.holidaytruths.tv/media/1886/Malaga_Airport/

sanji
Great vid Sanji, loved the music :tup

Its still a lot of walking from check-in to T3, then a long walk down to gates, but we give ourselves a lot of time, so no panic.. :D but we are soooo please about the new train station, just need the 3 trains per hour as promised now, but thats still work in progress..
Hi Davanne
Yeah, it's a bit of a trek and that's one of the reasons why I made the video ( even though it was rushed) because for the regular users of this forum who use the airport, we know the trek distance, and I thought the video might give a better insight to those who ask questions about the present situation, rather than just saying " you have to go over to T3."
:offtop

We got to the airport approx 12-15 for a 2-45pm flight and I was absolutely amazed how quiet T2 was, I was expecting it to be heaving with the 'knock-on' effect from the general strike the day before, although we only saw one plane throughout the whole day go over our apartment, and normally when the flight path/air traffic controllers send them out to sea, we see a lot of planes.....the general strike was well supported in La Carihuela and Torremolinos.
The journey home was one of the easiest and stress free journeys we have made in a very long time, right from the moment we got into a taxi outside the apartments and turned the key in my front door....if only it was always like that.!
The Bmi Baby flight was about 25mins late, so I stood making this video at the gate, waiting for it to land....and I don't 'do planes' .....they were starting to come in thick and fast, and I read that once the new runway is built, they will be able to go from handling 35 flights an hour, to 70 flights per hour....jaysus.!
http://www.holidaytruths.tv/media/1887/Planes_at_Malaga_Airport./

Sanji
Thanks for reply sanji

We are going to Malaga in the morning...we leave here about 4 am...hope I can sleep tonight..

:)
Thanks for the videos Sanji. I've left comments in the media site ;)
I wonder if Sanji's about. I'm after some up to date info on Malaga airport. I'm wondering whether all the terminals are operating normally now and has all the building work been completed. We'll be arriving on a BMI Baby flight from cardiff and it would be handy to know into which terminal we'll be arriving and also some directions to the closest taxi rank. I've been considering pre booking a transfer but the last time we went we just jumped in a taxi outside the terminal. Does anyone have a rough idea how much the taxis charge now to La carihuella Please?
thanks for any info.
The airport entrance/exit is at now at T3. That's also where the taxi rank and new train station is. Even if your flight lands at T2, you'll have to walk to T3 to get to find a taxi. Your BMI booking confirmation should tell you which terminal you arrive at. Keying your flight number into http://www.aena.es will also give you this.

There are always plenty of taxis waiting. The fare to Benalmadena was €27 two weeks ago so yours should be a little cheaper unless it's late at night when there is a surcharge.

When I went back to the UK last week, the only security check points open were at T3.
Thanks for your reply. I keyed in our flight number on the aena site and it said terminal 2. When I checked my booking confirmation it didn't state a terminal for arrival but under the malaga departure details it said main terminal :que Is T2 the main terminal?
T2 is the one that was always used for international flights before T3 was built.

According to theory, T1 is for Spanish domestic flights, T2 for flights to/from the EU and T3 for international flights to/from outside the EU. My son blew a hole in this theory when his incoming Jet2 flight from Leeds landed at T3!

T3 is huge so I would guess that they call T3 the "main terminal". The train station is directly across the road and the taxi rank is on the left as you walk out of the exit.
Hi Shirley
BMI baby use Terminal 2, in fact I think there's only BA that got its nose into T3.
T2 handles low cost flights and flights from non-schengen countries (which includes the UK).
BMI baby use departure points B & C, I don't know the departure point for Cardiff, but they use gate number C 37 for EMA.
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?Section=2&c=Page&SiteName=PlanMalaga&Language=EN_GB&pagename=PlanMalaga&cid=1237544862299
Last September, I would have said the taxi fare to the Hotel Cabello would be around €20/22, but I think you'll be looking at nearer €25 this year.

I don't know what's happening regarding Terminal 2, it was to be upgraded once Terminal 3 was opened and it seems the situation hasn't changed since last September, but let's face it, they ain't got no money left in the kitty, so the work may have suffered a big step back"¦.that's why the government are hell bent on trying to flog off some of the airports to the private sector, which is the root cause for all the industrial unrest with airport workers through all the sectors"¦..redundancies, wage freezes, temporary contracts and the collective bargaining powers/agreements torn into shreds"¦.a recipe for a revolution. :wink:

Sanji
Thanks again for your info Mike.

Sanji, I knew you'd be able to help with all the up to date info ;) A huge thanks. I've been watching your Malaga airport video again and indeed the airport seems huge. ;) I'm also working my way through the various CDS threads just to put me in the mood. I'm going to try and remember to brush up on my Spanish again with my BYKI programme, starting tonight :)

Thanks both for your help and also to djwoody who sent me a pm.
Got back yesterday and wanted to thank everybody for the help here. We flew into and out of T3 as did the BMI Baby Nottingham flight that checked in at the next desk just before us. We got to the airport early and were second to check -in. It was very quick and efficient.

I'm about to update a few of the CDS threads shortly for anybody who's interested.
I'm going to Malaga 1st July, so I've just had a mooch around Malaga Airport's site to see if there was any further info regarding T2, and having to trek to T3 after check-in at T2, and I've noticed that they have completely done the opposite to what they proposed when T3 was constructed regarding low cost flights and non-schengen flights.

When T3 was first opened, there was only BA in there and they said all non-schengen flights would operate in/out of T2, but now they've moved several airlines from the UK into T3.
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?Language=EN_GB&SiteName=PlanMalaga&c=Page&cid=1237544862299&pagename=PlanMalaga

So, is the trek from T2 to T3 no longer necessary.?

Sanji
Hi Glynis
I've noticed that they've moved BmiBaby into T3, so does that mean they are opening a check-in desk in T3 or will folks still check-in T2 and trek to T3 for security and departure.?
It's just not making any sense to me because looking at the link in my previous post, it's saying go to T3 to check-in, but another link says the check-in desks in T2, numbers 201 to 265, will be used for non-Schengen traffic.
Cor blimey, they like to confuse folks and it's no big deal walking from one terminal to the other, it's not as though you have to catch a bus to get between them, but it's helpful knowing which terminal when the taxi driver is dropping you off for departure.

Has anybody been lately.?

Sanji x
Sanji when we were there last month we checked in at T3-We didn't need to go to T2 at all. I was a bit concerned before we left as my ticket just said main terminal and didn't display any number. However, the departure boards at the departures entrance were clearly showing our destination and terminal number.
Thanks Shirley.
So the trek from T2 to T3 has ended for some of us. :tup

Sanji x
Well I haven't been through Malaga airport before so I won't notice anything different :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.