Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Does anyone know how much Malarone costs per tablet in Goa? I would like to buy most of them there as they are so exprnsive here.
Last year after much thought tried doxycycline they agreed with me!!! they were 9.17rps for 10 in Goa....(15p each stratford pharmacy)hope this helps Trina

Hi - I'm not a doc and it's always best to get professional advice - BUT I believe doxycycline capsules are in fact a pretty strong antibiotic. My doc prescribed them for me whan I managed to get a very nasty infection from a spiderbite in Egypt.
They have a side effect of increasing sensitivity to the sun - and since I was still taking them when I had to go on a later trip to Mexico I ended up turning pink - even though I was using a high factor sunscreen.
I'm always wary of antibiotics generally - I really do not want bugs in me which might have become immune.
I have just got some doxycycline as the other tablets nearly knock me out and ruin the holiday as I am always tired. When I read the instructions it says "dont use if going to be exposed to the sun" As Malaria usually occurs in hot countries I think these will be a waste of time. Pointless taking them IMO

Back to square 1
hullsmoggy....have you tried taking them at last thing at night?
We felt a bit rough when we used to take them with breakfast,but for the last few years we have been fine,might be worth a go. Hope to meet you next week to say hello,have a safe journey. :cheers Paula
Thanks Paula

I think we will do that. Get some over there and take them at bedtime

we will be touching down in 3 days hopefully

See you there
Hi don't know if I'm posting this properly because I'm a newbie! My son and his girlfriend came back from Goa a few weeks ago. Michael ended up in hospital with typhoid even though he'd had all his jabs. Karen is fine!! My husband and I are supposed to be going in April but are obviously having second thoughts. Should we stay or go?!! Need advice from people in the know please.
Please take care over advice and comments on this thread regarding malaria, the only people who should be giving advice are doctors and health proffesionals, you can get malaria from one mosquito bite and it can be a killer.

Talk about taking Doxycycline as a preventative medication for malaria is wrong, its an antibiotic which is sometimes used for the "Treatment of Malaria."
I've just come back from the Dominican Republic and have been taking Chloroquine for a month now and have another 3 weeks of taking them. I've had horrendous side effects from them including terrible dizziness, nausea and vomiting and light headedness. 2 days of my holiday were ruined as I was being sick all day and couldn't leave the room because I felt so bad. At first I thought it was something I'd eaten but now I'm back home I still feel as rough. I'm so tempted to stop taking them altogether especially as I've got another 3 weeks of this, just wondering has anyone else suffered side effects from these tablets?
took them when we were in goa in nov past, never had a side effect.

didnt know you had to take them for domican republic tho, we were there a few years back and never took anything, tho i did ask at medical centre befor we went and was told we didnt need to take them . tammie
I wasn't going to take them but the nurse said we needed them and the pharmacist said we didn't so to be on the safe side we did. :banghead: A lot of people we spoke to at the resort didn't bother either and I thought I'd be ok but how wrong I was. I don't think I'll ever travel to a country now where I have to malaria tablets again.
think that would be a bit drastic not to take some form of tablet when going to a country were you could catch something, next time id go to doctor and ask him what kind he would recommend, tell him bout the ones you takin, and the side effects , may be he could help you out.
tammie
Need information on holiday jabs please,I cant remember how many are needed & we have new people coming with us this year :think .I'm up to date with my own but a senior moment has occured & mind gone blank. :-?xx
I've had two jabs Franny.

Hepatyrix which covers Typhoid for 3 years and Hep A for 6 - 12 months. If I go back after six months for the Hep A booster it will cover me for 20 years.

Revaxis which covers for Tetanus, Diphtheria and Polio for 10 years.
Hi :wave:

franny1954
Need information on holiday jabs please,I cant remember how many are needed......

Take a look at this NHS Scotland website for all the current recommendations.

Going a bit off the Goa topic however to help clarify -

Mdollar
I wasn't going to take them but the nurse said we needed them and the pharmacist said we didn't so to be on the safe side we did....

The problem with the advice for the Dom Rep is that in some areas you do require to take malaria precautions while in other areas you don't so you end up with conflicting advice, again the above HS Scotland website gives more detailed information.
The NHS Blood Transfusion service won't accept donations for one year after you visit the Dom Rep regardless of which part of the country you visit due to the malaria risk.

Graham
Thanx ever so much haymans74 (now Gooorooo) for the information,the reason I asked was they were told only 1 jab was needed & i thought it was wrong.Once again many thanx.xxx :thanks
Interesting thread,

In all the years we have been going to Goa we have never taken anti malarials.

Some may think that irresponsible and as I get older I tend to worry about things like my health a bit more.

I have looked at some of the horrific side effects of the Anti malarials and wonder if it is worth taking them.

I know a lot of you would say better safe than sorry etc and you may well be right but I wonder in percentage terms what are the actual chances of a tourist getting bitten by a malaria carrying mosquito and then contracting the disease.

I am not in any way trying to be flippant but we all remember the swine flu scares and if you worked out the percentages the chances of actually catching it were tiny based on population.

Now I am well aware of the dangers of malaria and how serious it is but what I am getting at is how small is the chance and how many members decide that the side effects of anti malarials are too much to take and take a chance.

I am as yet undecided but have to make my OH aware of this danger so she can make her own mind up.

Papa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.